British expat shocked by 'insane' cost of grocery shop, asks Aussies for advice

Most of us here at the SDC are regular supermarket shoppers, and we are already all-too-aware of the rising costs of living in recent months.

Australians have been having a harder and harder time making ends meet for some time now, and the situation is made worse by the rising cost of food.

This was a shocking reality for a new British expat who couldn't help but note the huge discrepancy between the expense of living in their home country and Australia upon their arrival, especially with regard to the cost of food.

Financial advisor Ryan King from London, 25, experienced the shock for himself after recently going for a grocery shop at Woolies in Melbourne.

Screen Shot 2023-01-16 at 2.38.25 PM.png
A British expat was shocked at the cost of food items at Woolies. Credit: TikTok/makingmoneysimple.

Ryan was astounded to have spent $61.90 for just chicken, fruit, vegetables, condiments, flour, and bread. He documented his purchases on video, pointing out that two onions were $2.19, four bananas were $3.25, and 1.4 kilograms of chicken was a whopping $14.65.

'Soy sauce $7.50, feel a bit mugged off there — should have got a cheaper brand,' he said.

He went on to say that he normally gets more for his money - rice, pasta, potatoes, and dips and sauces - and if it weren't for the sauce, he could have saved himself more.

'If any Australians are watching and have any hacks on how to get better or cheaper food, please let me know, as this is quite expensive,' he concluded.

And fellow shoppers were quick to agree - many commented that grocery prices in Australia are 'through the roof' with one person saying: 'The cost for basic products and groceries is insane in Australia.'

So, what advice did they have to offer?

As the video of his grocery buy went viral, a bunch of helpful viewers came to the rescue with an abundance of advice.

The main tip was to shop in ALDI and take advantage of local food markets, as these can be full of amazing fresh produce without the hefty cost. Some also suggested buying in-season produce as often as possible and keeping a hawk-eye out for any supermarket specials, too.

Some of the other tips were to buy goods in bulk wherever possible and to be constantly aware of how much you're spending.

'Food shopping in Australia is so expensive compared to the UK because a lot of our produce is locally produced,' one Aussie explained.

In comparison, according to the website My Life Elsewhere's user-contributed data, the average cost of groceries in Australia is around 28.7 per cent higher than the average cost of groceries in the UK.

Screen Shot 2023-01-16 at 2.38.15 PM.png
Grocery staples such as bread, cheese, and milk are reportedly more expensive in Australia than in the UK. Credit: My Life Elsewhere.

Screen Shot 2023-01-16 at 2.38.06 PM.png
Apparently, fresh fruit and vegetables are more costly in Australia as well. Credit: My Life Elsewhere.

With reports of food inflation spiking 8.3 per cent for Woolworths, and 8 per cent for Coles for the July-to-September quarter last year, it's no wonder most of us are struggling to buy decent-quality food affordably.

A representative from Woolworths recently spoke to a news outlet and claimed that they were doing their best to help Australian families with their cost-of-living pressures and were determined to keep working hard to make a difference.

To ease the financial burden that many people were feeling, Coles and Woolworths both came up with price-freezing promotions last year.

While these promotions helped to keep prices steady, they were only temporary.

Woolworths' promotion ended in December, but Coles surprised everyone by announcing they were going to keep their promotion going – making it clear that they're also determined to help out their customers during these tough times.
Key Takeaways

• A 25-year-old Brit living in Melbourne was shocked by how much a small grocery run at Woolworths cost him.
  • Many people online agreed grocery prices are 'through the roof' in Australia and shared their cost-cutting tips, such as shopping at ALDI and finding a local market.
  • Food inflation hit a high of 8.3 per cent at Woolworths and 8 per cent at Coles for the July-to-September quarter last year.
Members, we here at the SDC can pretty much guarantee this much: if you're meticulous, conscious, and strategic with your shopping, you can maximise your savings!

If you're feeling a bit stressed out about the cost of groceries these days, you're not alone! With prices on the rise, it can be hard to make ends meet.

But before you start panicking, we want to remind you about one of our previous articles about 'unsupermarketing' - this strategy can help you to find ways to save money on your grocery bill without having to skimp on quality.

Screen Shot 2023-01-16 at 2.37.52 PM.png
Aussies are complaining that grocery prices are through the roof. Credit: Unsplash/Brooke Cagle.

Unsupermarketing is all about finding alternative ways to buy the food you need, without relying on big chain supermarkets. In the article, we explore a variety of different strategies in more detail and provide some tips and tricks for getting started.

If you're feeling overwhelmed by the cost of groceries, we highly recommend giving this article a read. It just might help you to find a way to save some money and put your mind at ease.

Best of luck with your groceries shopping, everyone!

Sponsored
Isn't that funny, we are told it is the same all over the world and yet here is someone from another part of the world saying Australia is far more expensive than his home country, gee Supermarkets, don't tell me you have been caught out lying....!!!!

Reactions: MindyMac and Ricci
I've tried shopping at bulk stores. I might buy the odd thing now, but I was disenchanted with how they store their food, as they never use air tight containers. The freshness is compromised imo.
Upsupermarketing must be new terminology. Prior to this, it was waste free with the lure of bulk stores.

Sorry. I’m sure a couple of the items might be cheaper in Uk, but you will def. NOT get a kilo of chicken breasts for 5 pounds 60 pence. It’s swings and roundabouts comparing prices between Oz and UK - some higher some lower.

Reactions: freedy50 and Ricci
Most of us here at the SDC are regular supermarket shoppers, and we are already all-too-aware of the rising costs of living in recent months.

Australians have been having a harder and harder time making ends meet for some time now, and the situation is made worse by the rising cost of food.

This was a shocking reality for a new British expat who couldn't help but note the huge discrepancy between the expense of living in their home country and Australia upon their arrival, especially with regard to the cost of food.

Financial advisor Ryan King from London, 25, experienced the shock for himself after recently going for a grocery shop at Woolies in Melbourne.

View attachment 11752
A British expat was shocked at the cost of food items at Woolies. Credit: TikTok/makingmoneysimple.

Ryan was astounded to have spent $61.90 for just chicken, fruit, vegetables, condiments, flour, and bread. He documented his purchases on video, pointing out that two onions were $2.19, four bananas were $3.25, and 1.4 kilograms of chicken was a whopping $14.65.

'Soy sauce $7.50, feel a bit mugged off there — should have got a cheaper brand,' he said.

He went on to say that he normally gets more for his money - rice, pasta, potatoes, and dips and sauces - and if it weren't for the sauce, he could have saved himself more.

'If any Australians are watching and have any hacks on how to get better or cheaper food, please let me know, as this is quite expensive,' he concluded.

And fellow shoppers were quick to agree - many commented that grocery prices in Australia are 'through the roof' with one person saying: 'The cost for basic products and groceries is insane in Australia.'

As the video of his grocery buy went viral, a bunch of helpful viewers came to the rescue with an abundance of advice.

The main tip was to shop in ALDI and take advantage of local food markets, as these can be full of amazing fresh produce without the hefty cost. Some also suggested buying in-season produce as often as possible and keeping a hawk-eye out for any supermarket specials, too.

Some of the other tips were to buy goods in bulk wherever possible and to be constantly aware of how much you're spending.

'Food shopping in Australia is so expensive compared to the UK because a lot of our produce is locally produced,' one Aussie explained.

In comparison, according to the website My Life Elsewhere's user-contributed data, the average cost of groceries in Australia is around 28.7 per cent higher than the average cost of groceries in the UK.

View attachment 11753
Grocery staples such as bread, cheese, and milk are reportedly more expensive in Australia than in the UK. Credit: My Life Elsewhere.

View attachment 11754
Apparently, fresh fruit and vegetables are more costly in Australia as well. Credit: My Life Elsewhere.

With reports of food inflation spiking 8.3 per cent for Woolworths, and 8 per cent for Coles for the July-to-September quarter last year, it's no wonder most of us are struggling to buy decent-quality food affordably.

A representative from Woolworths recently spoke to a news outlet and claimed that they were doing their best to help Australian families with their cost-of-living pressures and were determined to keep working hard to make a difference.

To ease the financial burden that many people were feeling, Coles and Woolworths both came up with price-freezing promotions last year.

Woolworths' promotion ended in December, but Coles surprised everyone by announcing they were going to keep their promotion going – making it clear that they're also determined to help out their customers during these tough times.
Key Takeaways

• A 25-year-old Brit living in Melbourne was shocked by how much a small grocery run at Woolworths cost him.
  • Many people online agreed grocery prices are 'through the roof' in Australia and shared their cost-cutting tips, such as shopping at ALDI and finding a local market.
  • Food inflation hit a high of 8.3 per cent at Woolworths and 8 per cent at Coles for the July-to-September quarter last year.
Members, we here at the SDC can pretty much guarantee this much: if you're meticulous, conscious, and strategic with your shopping, you can maximise your savings!

If you're feeling a bit stressed out about the cost of groceries these days, you're not alone! With prices on the rise, it can be hard to make ends meet.

But before you start panicking, we want to remind you about one of our previous articles about 'unsupermarketing' - this strategy can help you to find ways to save money on your grocery bill without having to skimp on quality.

View attachment 11751
Aussies are complaining that grocery prices are through the roof. Credit: Unsplash/Brooke Cagle.

Unsupermarketing is all about finding alternative ways to buy the food you need, without relying on big chain supermarkets. In the article, we explore a variety of different strategies in more detail and provide some tips and tricks for getting started.

If you're feeling overwhelmed by the cost of groceries, we highly recommend giving this article a read. It just might help you to find a way to save some money and put your mind at ease.

Big bulk stores with the whole family buying together is a good option but very easy to get carried away, know your prices and you can save heaps. They have specials as well. Their fruit and veg excellent. Mushrooms half supermarket but you have to buy a full kilo.
I have a flybye card and when they sent my years summery I had redmed $600 worth of points.

Big bulk stores with the whole family buying together is a good option but very easy to get carried away, know your prices and you can save heaps. They have specials as well. Their fruit and veg excellent. Mushrooms half supermarket but you have to buy a full kilo.
I have a flybye card and when they sent my years summery I had redmed $600 worth of points.
That sounds a great bulk store. The bulk store I'm talking about doesn't have fruit & veg. It's all about reducing food waste & packaging waste in these bulk stores near me.

Reactions: Ricci

View attachment 11752

View attachment 11753

View attachment 11754

Key Takeaways

View attachment 11751

I am an ex-pat and have found the problem in Australia is that there is no real competition - supermarket wise - compared to the UK where there are at least 8 or 9 major supermarket chains who will compete against each other - Australia probably 4 at the most !

View attachment 11752

View attachment 11753

View attachment 11754

Key Takeaways

View attachment 11751

Nobody has bothered to compare British wages to ours. They may find the price difference in comparison is not such big deal.

View attachment 11752

View attachment 11753

View attachment 11754

Key Takeaways

View attachment 11751

I tend to agree with this expat about the lower cost of grocery in UK. Four months ago we were in London for 5 week where we were doing grocery shopping for our daughter. We shopped at the 4 major stores - Tesco, Sainsbury, M & S Lidl. We were shocked to see how much cheaper fresh food geneally were over there. Basic such as milk and bread. A loaf of 750g grain bread M&S only costed 70 pence. Fancy ones were only about GBP 3-4.
My personal opinion is that the businesses here are being a bit greedy and making super profits using the opportunity of the Ukraine war and increased shipping costs. I am sure these factors are true but the rate they are going up everytime you shopped gives me the impression they are just being greedy too. Some basic home products have doubled what I used to pay for even in 2021.

What they don't tell you is that the price for fuel and utilities has gone through the roof, far worse in the UK than here. Petrol is $4+ per litre or that's what my son told me when he was there for Christmas. :(

Reactions: Wendy and Penny4
Also as an ex-pat when I first arrived in Australia in 1965 I could buy a week's worth of groceries for the same cost as I was paying in the UK. Those days are sadly no longer with us. But a short stay in NZ in the 90s also made me question the cost of everything it being much dearer than Australia. I also had a trip to England in 2012 & found that most food there was inedible. Also very costly. Here you can buy fruit & veg grown in Australia not from some obscure European country with no checks on pesticides or additives that don't pass our standards. Just do what the wisest of us do buy from Aldi & local vegetable shops & put up with it & don't whinge about it!

I switched to Aldi several years ago and immediately saved over $25 a week. I recently had to shop at a big name supermarket close to my home due to illness, and was stunned when my shop was nearly $40 more expensive than Aldi. As an aged pensioner i have a limited budget and only buy essentials, i don't know what the difference would be if i bought snacks or treats as well.

Reactions: Ricci and Penny4

View attachment 11752

View attachment 11753

View attachment 11754

Key Takeaways

View attachment 11751

I agree with you! Food is astronimcal here in Australia. Welcome to our world!!!

View attachment 11752

View attachment 11753

View attachment 11754

Key Takeaways

View attachment 11751

Welcome to our world!!! Shopping should not be this expensive! Just to survive.

Reactions: SandyM and Ricci

View attachment 11752

View attachment 11753

View attachment 11754

Key Takeaways

View attachment 11751

You can't rely on those comparisons.

Maybe my friends in the UK are lying to me when they tell me how expensive their shopping is when we compare prices? 🤔

I was just looking at prices in a supermarket I used to go to in the UK and, like here, there's a vast range of different types/brands of milk, bread, eggs etc, with a vast range of prices for them. Quite a few are more expensive then here.

High prices are just one of those things these days.

Reactions: Ricci
We were in Uk a few months ago and as previously mentioned the cost of fuel is horrendous. My cousins and friends constantly complain about the cost of food there. I had an email from a cousin this morning saying how much their weekly shop had gone up this week compared to last week, maybe the complainant hasn't shopped there recently.

Reactions: Penny4 and Ricci