Bride shocks friends with unexpected, 'tacky' move

Navigating the social etiquette of weddings can be a minefield, even more so in the digital age.

Imagine being included in the pre-wedding excitement, only to realise you're not on the guest list.

It's a scenario that may leave many scratching their heads and ask: 'What does this mean?'

An anonymous woman recently shared an awkward situation that has sparked quite a conversation online.

She and a group of around 20 to 30 people were added to a group chat by the bride, with the chat aptly named '(bride's name) wedding shenanigans'.

The bride, who she described as 'super enthusiastic and a very positive person' on the post, had been sharing her engagement joy on social media.

The catch? They are not invited to the wedding.

'I was a little perplexed as I haven't been invited, nor had a digital invite been sent, and side chats on why we are in this group were also happening,' she shared.

compressed-pexels-charlotte-may-5965635.jpeg
Weddings are an important milestone meant to be shared with loved ones. Image Credit: Pexels/Charlotte May

The sharer initially took the high road, understanding that weddings are personal affairs and not everyone can be a part of the big day.

She congratulated her friend and prepared to admire the wedding photos on social media instead.

In an unexpected loop, their group chat became a digital space where the bride promised 'exclusive pictures of all events'—a consolation for those not in the event.

'The way I laughed at her audacity,' one friend said.

Another friend stayed in the group chat out of politeness and left shortly after.

'I didn't want to remain for the drama or the absolutely entitled world view of the bride,' she shared.

This story shocked many readers, garnering over a thousand comments and mixed reactions online.

'That's so awkward! You handled that very well,' one comment read.

'This is so tacky,' another chimed in.

'This is so strange and just makes the wedding into some sort of tiered event,' a third comment said.

It raises questions about the nature of friendship and inclusion in the era of social media.

Traditionally, being invited to a wedding is a clear sign of a close relationship with the bride or groom.

You were expected to attend if you received an invitation.

With the advent of social media, the lines have become blurred.

People now have the means to share every moment with a broader circle than ever before, which can lead to awkward situations like these.

So, what should you do if you find yourself in a similar situation?

It's important to remember that your feelings are valid.

You can reach out to the bride or groom privately to express your confusion, as communication is critical in these scenarios.

For those planning a wedding, consider your actions carefully.

If you can't invite everyone, consider other ways to include them.

A post-wedding gathering or a digital photo album shared after the event would be more appropriate than just leaving everyone on read in a group chat.
Key Takeaways

• A woman was added to a group chat about her friend's wedding, only to not be invited to the celebration.
  • The bride wanted non-invited friends to receive updates and exclusive pictures of the wedding events as a consolation.
  • The uninvited woman and the friend group found the situation bizarre and left the chat shortly after.
  • The situation prompted a strong reaction from readers, with many expressing that they found the bride's actions awkward and tacky.
What advice would you give to someone caught in this wedding conundrum? Share your thoughts and stories in the comments below.

Last edited:
Sponsored
These so called Friends appear to be more of acquaintances, othereise you would think they would have been on the Brides Guest list ,the Bride sounds like she isn't very Mature nor sensitive to Other's feelings

financial pressures do not allow all friends to be officially invited. Surely saying they are welcome to come to the ceremony and a future get together would be sufficient. Why does everything now have to be on line. The pre wedding chat group should be told the circumstances from the start

Reactions: KaraJenna
Perhaps this now replaces kitchen teas etc. Family and friends not being invited to the wedding were all invited to these instead. When I was a bride, I actually explained to my invitees I wanted them included but could not afford the wedding reception. My kitchen tea included an invite to our wedding ceremony if they wished to attend. At the kitchen tea each guest was given s slice of pre wedding cake and sugar almonds.

There you have the perils of social media.
Such a load of bother. If you don't want to be snubbed, don't press "LIKE".

I wouldn’t have a problem with it. It’s just a chat group and not being invited to the wedding really wouldn’t be an issue for me.