Breaking News: Australian Icon Terry Norris Dies Aged 92, Remembering the Legend

It is with a heavy heart that we share the sad news of the passing of Terry Norris, a true icon of the Australian stage and screen, aged 92.​

Who could forget the wisecracking Joe Turner, who kept many Bellbird fans laughing for eight years? Yes, that was Terry Norris in the role.

And what about the notorious Senior Sergeant Eric O’Reilly from the long-running police series, Cop Shop?

Terry portrayed the character, earning him the Silver Logie award in 1975 for Best Supporting Actor.

His most memorable role in recent years was as a barfly in Jack Irish.

Screen Shot 2023-03-22 at 11.36.17 am.png
Norris (pictured) in Jack Irish. Image Credit: ABC

Artistic beginnings

Did you know the Richmond-born actor had intentions of becoming a boilermaker when he caught the acting bug?

From London to Melbourne, Terry met the love of his life, fellow actor Julia Blake (Bed of Roses, Prisoner, Travelling North) while touring the UK.

‘We met in York, a lovely city, we were both in a company there. We got married between a matinee & evening performance of the show we were doing.’ Norris said.

‘I saw this person walk in, very tall, and I thought he probably looked slightly arrogant, a bit like Mr Darcy in Pride and Prejudice,’ Julia Blake told ABC in 2008.

‘He just had presence about him.’

After a decade-long journey, he settled down in the Victorian capital in 1962. ‘We wanted to have a family so I persuaded Julia to come back to my hometown.’

After getting married, Terry had many productive years in acting, never being out of work. He even had a 10-year stint in politics.

In his maiden speech to parliament in Mary 1982, he addressed his time as an actor.

‘All honourable members would agree that there is not much fiction, fantasy or make-believe in the daily work of a member of this place.’

‘The real world out there is a tough, grinding and relentless one for many people.’

He would later comment on his time in state parliament, saying ‘You're confronted by issues which you're normally never confronted, so basically what I learnt about myself was what a very protected and privileged life I have lived.’

By the mid-1990s, Norris returned to acting and even starred alongside his wife in the 2000 film Innocence.

Aside from his numerous screen roles and stage performances, Terry also lent his voice to many radio and TV commercials.

‘I had 20 years with the longest run of luck of any actor on the face of the earth! I was never, ever out of work. Sometimes doing two and three at the same time, because in those days there were lots of bits and pieces,’ he recalled.

Screen Shot 2023-03-22 at 11.39.11 am.png
Norris (pictured) in his Logie-winning role (Cop Shop). Image Credit: Seven

‘We did a radio play from Melbourne every week, so that was a little bit of jam on the bread, and at that same time you were doing a stage show or theatre restaurant, and two long-running soap operas. I did 20 years so bloody lucky, never out of work. It’s amazing. So that’s my story and I’m sticking to it.’

Key Takeaways
  • Veteran Australian character actor Terry Norris has passed away at the age of 92.
  • Norris had a long and distinguished career, with memorable roles in Cop Shop, Bellbird, and Jack Irish among nearly 80 screen credits.
  • In addition to acting, Norris served as a member of the Victorian Labor government for 10 years.
  • Norris and his wife, fellow performer Julia Blake, were awarded Lifetime Achievement by the Equity Foundation in 2018.

In later years, Terry worked on films such as Changi, Stingers and the popular Judy & Punch. He also starred in the Australian TV show Bloom and had a recurring role on the ABC hit series The Society Murders.

His CV includes Power Without Glory, Blue Heelers, Changi, Stingers, Something in the Air, City Homicide, Killing Time, Miss Fishers Murder Mysteries, The Society Murders, Hawke, The Damnation of Harvey McHugh, Ryan, Consider Your Verdict, Bobby Dazzler, Hunter, The Last of the Australians, Bloom and films including Stork, Road to Nhill, Paper Planes, , The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, Judy & Punch, Looking for Grace, The Dressmaker and Romulus my Father.

His theatre and television career spanned almost 70 years, with well over 80 screen credits.

He is survived by his three children Dominic, Jane and Sarah, his wife Julia Blake, and their four grandchildren.

Our thoughts and sympathies are with Terry's wife Julia, his family, and his many friends during this difficult time. Rest in peace, Terry. The world has lost a brilliant artist, but his legacy will certainly live on.

Which of Terry’s roles is your favourite? Do you have any fond memories of the talented actor? Please share your memories in the comments below as we farewell this Australian legend.

Sponsored

It is with a heavy heart that we share the sad news of the passing of Terry Norris, a true icon of the Australian stage and screen, aged 92.​

Who could forget the wisecracking Joe Turner, who kept many Bellbird fans laughing for eight years? Yes, that was Terry Norris in the role.

And what about the notorious Senior Sergeant Eric O’Reilly from the long-running police series, Cop Shop?

Terry portrayed the character, earning him the Silver Logie award in 1975 for Best Supporting Actor.

View attachment 16062

Artistic beginnings

Did you know the Richmond-born actor had intentions of becoming a boilermaker when he caught the acting bug?

From London to Melbourne, Terry met the love of his life, fellow actor Julia Blake (Bed of Roses, Prisoner, Travelling North) while touring the UK.

‘We met in York, a lovely city, we were both in a company there. We got married between a matinee & evening performance of the show we were doing.’ Norris said.

‘I saw this person walk in, very tall, and I thought he probably looked slightly arrogant, a bit like Mr Darcy in Pride and Prejudice,’ Julia Blake told ABC in 2008.

After a decade-long journey, he settled down in the Victorian capital in 1962. ‘We wanted to have a family so I persuaded Julia to come back to my hometown.’

After getting married, Terry had many productive years in acting, never being out of work. He even had a 10-year stint in politics.

In his maiden speech to parliament in Mary 1982, he addressed his time as an actor.

‘All honourable members would agree that there is not much fiction, fantasy or make-believe in the daily work of a member of this place.’

‘The real world out there is a tough, grinding and relentless one for many people.’

He would later comment on his time in state parliament, saying ‘You're confronted by issues which you're normally never confronted, so basically what I learnt about myself was what a very protected and privileged life I have lived.’

By the mid-1990s, Norris returned to acting and even starred alongside his wife in the 2000 film Innocence.

Aside from his numerous screen roles and stage performances, Terry also lent his voice to many radio and TV commercials.

‘I had 20 years with the longest run of luck of any actor on the face of the earth! I was never, ever out of work. Sometimes doing two and three at the same time, because in those days there were lots of bits and pieces,’ he recalled.

View attachment 16061

‘We did a radio play from Melbourne every week, so that was a little bit of jam on the bread, and at that same time you were doing a stage show or theatre restaurant, and two long-running soap operas. I did 20 years so bloody lucky, never out of work. It’s amazing. So that’s my story and I’m sticking to it.’

Key Takeaways

• Veteran Australian character actor Terry Norris has passed away at the age of 92.
  • Norris had a long and distinguished career, with memorable roles in Cop Shop, Bellbird, and Jack Irish among nearly 80 screen credits.
  • In addition to acting, Norris served as a member of the Victorian Labor government for 10 years.
  • Norris and his wife, fellow performer Julia Blake, were awarded Lifetime Achievement by the Equity Foundation in 2018.

In later years, Terry worked on films such as Changi, Stingers and the popular Judy & Punch. He also starred in the Australian TV show Bloom and had a recurring role on the ABC hit series The Society Murders.

His CV includes Power Without Glory, Blue Heelers, Changi, Stingers, Something in the Air, City Homicide, Killing Time, Miss Fishers Murder Mysteries, The Society Murders, Hawke, The Damnation of Harvey McHugh, Ryan, Consider Your Verdict, Bobby Dazzler, Hunter, The Last of the Australians, Bloom and films including Stork, Road to Nhill, Paper Planes, , The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, Judy & Punch, Looking for Grace, The Dressmaker and Romulus my Father.

His theatre and television career spanned almost 70 years, with well over 80 screen credits.

He is survived by his three children Dominic, Jane and Sarah, his wife Julia Blake, and their four grandchildren.

Our thoughts and sympathies are with Terry's wife Julia, his family, and his many friends during this difficult time. Rest in peace, Terry. The world has lost a brilliant artist, but his legacy will certainly live on.

Which of Terry’s roles is your favourite? Do you have any fond memories of the talented actor? Please share your memories in the comments below as we farewell this Australian legend.

Loved him in cop shop with Gil Tucker they bounced off each other so well. RIP

View attachment 16062

Artistic beginnings

View attachment 16061

Key Takeaways

I remember first seeing Terry Norris as a lawyer in Consider Your Verdict when I was a teenager!

loved cop shop in the day he was an actor with character, screamed I'm an aussie much in the chips Rafferty vein

View attachment 16062

Artistic beginnings

View attachment 16061

Key Takeaways

RIP.