Breaking: iCloud outage affects Apple users worldwide

In a world where we rely heavily on technology, a sudden disruption can cause a ripple effect of inconvenience and frustration.

This was the case on Wednesday morning when Apple's iCloud Mail crashed, causing a global outage that left many users unable to send, receive, or access their emails.

Apple, the tech giant known for its sleek and innovative technology, confirmed the outage at 6:31 am.

'Users may be unable to send, receive or access mail,' the company stated in a notice.

SDC 20.png
Apple's iCloud Mail reportedly crashed, causing a global outage of the service. Image source: Shutterstock.

The issue was reportedly resolved by 8:38 am, but not before causing a wave of frustration among its users.

But it wasn't just the iCloud Mail that was affected.

Apple also reported issues with iCloud Web Apps, which impacted some users.

The outage sparked a flurry of complaints on social media platforms, with users expressing their irritation and concern.

'iCloud is down, and I'm expecting an important email. This is so irritating,' one user lamented.

Another pointed out: 'iCloud services are currently down, marking the third outage in just four days. Users are reporting issues with iCloud Mail and the iCloud website.'

For those unfamiliar with the term, iCloud is Apple's cloud storage and cloud computing service.

Launched in 2011, it allows users to store data such as documents, photos, and music on remote servers for download to iOS, macOS, or Windows devices.

It also enables users to share and send data to other users and manage their Apple devices if lost or stolen through Find My.

From personal to professional use, iCloud plays a crucial role in storing and securing data.

An outage not only disrupts communication but also raises concerns about data security.

In similar news, scammers are taking advantage of the outage anger by targeting Optus customers with a new phishing scam.

The recent nationwide Optus outage left millions of Aussies without phone and internet service for over 13 hours.

With widespread disruptions to triple zero emergency services, small businesses, and more, demand for compensation from the telco giant is rapidly growing.

However, authorities have warned all Optus users to beware of a text message claiming to offer compensation for the disruption.

You can read more about this here.
Key Takeaways
  • Apple iCloud Mail experienced a global outage, affecting users' ability to send, receive, or access mail.
  • The issue began on January 31, Wednesday morning, and was resolved by Apple as of 8:38 am the same day.
  • iCloud Web Apps also faced issues during this time, but these were subsequently resolved as well.
  • Frustrated users voiced their complaints on social media, with some reporting it was the third outage in just four days, causing issues with iCloud Mail and the iCloud website.
Have you experienced any issues with iCloud recently? Share your experiences and tips for dealing with outages in the comments below.

• Angry
Reactions: Petra and BJM
Sponsored
I would never have any Apple stuff. It's not any better then Android phones. Lots of people seem to have an overpriced iPhone just to say I've got an iPhone, as if it's anything special. 🙄

I always think that people have them as they don't know about technology as all you can get with Apple is only their apps to put on it and that's it. Same with their iPads. An Android tablet is much better on its flexibility.

At least with all Android phones you've got a vast amount of choice with what make phones you want to buy and what software you want to put on it. Apple have been good with their publicity over the years making people think it's the only phone to have.

I would never have any Apple stuff. It's not any better then Android phones. Lots of people seem to have an overpriced iPhone just to say I've got an iPhone, as if it's anything special. 🙄

I always think that people have them as they don't know about technology as all you can get with Apple is only their apps to put on it and that's it. Same with their iPads. An Android tablet is much better on its flexibility.

At least with all Android phones you've got a vast amount of choice with what make phones you want to buy and what software you want to put on it. Apple have been good with their publicity over the years making people think it's the only phone to have.
No one is suggesting you buy an iPhone after all it’s a personal preference. A lot of us aren’t tech experts & don’t need to be but don’t assume that includes everyone. My son is a tech expert & loves his Apple devices. He works on both systems & has an android phone as well & says both systems have limitations but he prefers Apple. Don’t criticise those of us who love iPhones etc after all we’re not criticising your personal choice to buy Android. I’m getting rather tired of members thinking only their opinion is right. I don’t care what others have,I’m only concerned with my choices.

Like everything we own, cars, televisions. Vacuum cleaners etc. they all experience a need for repair or replace at some time in their life cycle. It's the same for communication platforms, they sometimes have an unexpected glitch either major or minor. There is nothing unusual about it and all that can be done by the average consumer is to grin and wait. The responsible (and highly skilled) technicians will install a new dust bag as soon as they can.

Reactions: PattiB
I like Apple it’s easy to use, less likely to get viruses and yes costs a lot. But lasts for years I don’t upgrade it every year like some do. I don’t use the mail component so the outages didn’t bother me.
Each to his own we are all allowed our own opinion so get off our backs when our opinion is different from yours. Thanks

more money than sense..Only apple I've got came from the fruit and veg dept.

I’ve had android phones before. I don’t buy Apple products because of the name. I have my reasons.

Like everything we own, cars, televisions. Vacuum cleaners etc. they all experience a need for repair or replace at some time in their life cycle. It's the same for communication platforms, they sometimes have an unexpected glitch either major or minor. There is nothing unusual about it and all that can be done by the average consumer is to grin and wait. The responsible (and highly skilled) technicians will install a new dust bag as soon as they can.
They don't want you to get stuff repaired, they want you to throw it away and buy a new one.

Reactions: Rob44
Even Banana phones aren't flexible anymore....

....after they are bent.
I'll stick to my landline thanks. at least the people who are on the other end can hold a conversation. I get so sick of people walking down the street, walking into my scooter which I keep as far to the left as I can and I've lost count of those walking into telephone poles. Those wretched things have turned people into zombies who have forgotten how to speak.

• Haha
Reactions: Petra and Rob44
I'll stick to my landline thanks. at least the people who are on the other end can hold a conversation. I get so sick of people walking down the street, walking into my scooter which I keep as far to the left as I can and I've lost count of those walking into telephone poles. Those wretched things have turned people into zombies who have forgotten how to speak.
You’re generalising again @gamiry. Not everyone using mobile phones in public are speechless zombies.