Brazen act by Coles customer: 'I'm a bad man'

Every now and then, a story pops up that leaves us all shaking our heads, and this one fits the bill perfectly. Nowadays, we're all aware of the importance of reducing waste and being environmentally friendly whenever possible.

With this in mind, many supermarkets have decided to charge for the use of bags. However, some customers aren’t on board with these developments.

And at a Coles supermarket, one customer took an extraordinary approach to avoid paying 25 cents for a paper bag.

The shopper in question shared a video on social media showing their brazen solution.

Instead of paying for a bag, the customer picked up a basket from the entrance of the Coles store and walked out with it, insisting, ‘Why would you pay 25 cents for a paper bag? When these baskets are free!’

coles1.jpg
A Coles customer has come under fire over his brazen act with the retailer’s shopping basket. Credit: eBay

The shopper proclaimed in the video: ‘I'm a bad man’ as they placed the stolen basket in the boot of their car.

The act appears to take place in response to the retailer’s decision to replace its reusable plastic bags with 25c paper bags.

It is understood that the idea behind charging for bags is to encourage shoppers to bring their own reusable bags. It reduces the environmental impact and cuts down on waste.

It's worth noting that the hand-held carriers provided by Coles are meant to be used while perusing the aisles in-store and should be left at the checkout once a customer has paid for their items. While others claimed that the man was only joking, many social media users quickly voiced their disapproval.

‘I'll never understand why it is so hard for people to have something in the car or some bags for when they need to go to the supermarket,’ said one commenter.

coles2.jpg
The man showed how he allegedly stole the shopping basket from Coles. Credit: theartofbeingdave/TikTok

‘New thing came out a long time ago called reusable bags,’ another remarked.

Others pointed out that theft of baskets had led to some supermarkets resorting to security measures to prevent similar acts.

One user shared, ‘This is why my work has no baskets after a month of ordering more. People take them home.’

‘Supermarkets near me no longer provide baskets,’ one stated.

‘They have security tags on the baskets here. Wonder why,’ another replied.

‘As a Coles worker, just bring your own bag,’ someone suggested.

‘I just use reusable bags. If I forget, then I just put the shopping in a trolley and push the trolley to my car and open the boot. Easy as that,’ one more replied.

You can watch the video below:

A Coles spokesperson encouraged shoppers to only use the baskets in-store, stating:

'Coles provides trolleys and baskets to customers for their convenience when shopping in our stores. Our baskets are Australian-made from 100 per cent recycled milk bottles, saving the equivalent of eighteen 2L milk bottles from landfill for each basket made.’

‘We know customers love our shopping baskets, and we encourage customers to return them when they’re finished their shop so they can continue to be enjoyed in-store,’ the spokesperson continued.

This report comes after rival retailers ALDI and Woolworths announced they would phase out their soft-plastic shopping bags and replace them with eco-friendly bags in a bid to minimise their environmental impact. You can read more about ALDI’s statement about this change here and Woolworths’ story here.
Key Takeaways
  • A Coles supermarket customer has come under fire for shockingly taking a store shopping basket to avoid paying for a 25-cent paper bag.
  • The customer's video on social media, showing him taking the basket and placing it in the boot of his car, sparked controversy and received over 200,000 views.
  • Many internet users voiced their disapproval, with some pointing out it is illegal and others sharing that their stores have had to resort to security measures due to basket theft.
  • A Coles spokesperson encouraged shoppers to use the baskets only in-store and return them when they’re finished shopping.
Do you bring your reusable bags when shopping for groceries? Share your thoughts about this story in the comments below!

Sponsored
Every now and then, a story pops up that leaves us all shaking our heads, and this one fits the bill perfectly. Nowadays, we're all aware of the importance of reducing waste and being environmentally friendly whenever possible.

With this in mind, many supermarkets have decided to charge for the use of bags. However, some customers aren’t on board with these developments.

And at a Coles supermarket, one customer took an extraordinary approach to avoid paying 25 cents for a paper bag.

The shopper in question shared a video on social media showing their brazen solution.

Instead of paying for a bag, the customer picked up a basket from the entrance of the Coles store and walked out with it, insisting, ‘Why would you pay 25 cents for a paper bag? When these baskets are free!’

View attachment 22154
A Coles customer has come under fire over his brazen act with the retailer’s shopping basket. Credit: eBay

The shopper proclaimed in the video: ‘I'm a bad man’ as they placed the stolen basket in the boot of their car.

The act appears to take place in response to the retailer’s decision to replace its reusable plastic bags with 25c paper bags.

It is understood that the idea behind charging for bags is to encourage shoppers to bring their own reusable bags. It reduces the environmental impact and cuts down on waste.

It's worth noting that the hand-held carriers provided by Coles are meant to be used while perusing the aisles in-store and should be left at the checkout once a customer has paid for their items. While others claimed that the man was only joking, many social media users quickly voiced their disapproval.

‘I'll never understand why it is so hard for people to have something in the car or some bags for when they need to go to the supermarket,’ said one commenter.

View attachment 22155
The man showed how he allegedly stole the shopping basket from Coles. Credit: theartofbeingdave/TikTok

Others pointed out that theft of baskets had led to some supermarkets resorting to security measures to prevent similar acts.

One user shared, ‘This is why my work has no baskets after a month of ordering more. People take them home.’

‘I just use reusable bags. If I forget, then I just put the shopping in a trolley and push the trolley to my car and open the boot. Easy as that,’ one more replied.

A Coles spokesperson encouraged shoppers to only use the baskets in-store, stating:

'Coles provides trolleys and baskets to customers for their convenience when shopping in our stores. Our baskets are Australian-made from 100 per cent recycled milk bottles, saving the equivalent of eighteen 2L milk bottles from landfill for each basket made.’

‘We know customers love our shopping baskets, and we encourage customers to return them when they’re finished their shop so they can continue to be enjoyed in-store,’ the spokesperson continued.

This report comes after rival retailers ALDI and Woolworths announced they would phase out their soft-plastic shopping bags and replace them with eco-friendly bags in a bid to minimise their environmental impact. You can read more about ALDI’s statement about this change here and Woolworths’ story here.
Key Takeaways

• A Coles supermarket customer has come under fire for shockingly taking a store shopping basket to avoid paying for a 25-cent paper bag.
  • The customer's video on social media, showing him taking the basket and placing it in the boot of his car, sparked controversy and received over 200,000 views.
  • Many internet users voiced their disapproval, with some pointing out it is illegal and others sharing that their stores have had to resort to security measures due to basket theft.
  • A Coles spokesperson encouraged shoppers to use the baskets only in-store and return them when they’re finished shopping.
Do you bring your reusable bags when shopping for groceries? Share your thoughts about this story in the comments below!

Surely this is a no brainer . It never ceases to amaze me how stupid some people are. 🙄

I have used the canvas bags ever since they brought them out, last year coles were selling the brown canvas bags for 30 cents so we brought 10 because some of our green bags were looking worse for wear, even if you buy a bag for 2 or 3 dollars I believe the are now, if you added up each time you use the canvas bags compared to paying for the paper or the recycled plastic bags you would find the amount you pay out a year would be astronomical. Much cheaper to buy a canvas bag and use it 50 times rather than pay at the check out for each bag you need for your shopping. To me that is a no brainer.

In jest or not, it is not ok. The theft of baskets, and trolleys too, is a big problem for supermarkets. If he remembers to bring that basket back each time he shops then that would be a little better, but I'm sure he would need a new basket each time. And then where do all those baskets end up??????? The entitlement of some people has always astounded me.

Great example of the entitlement that is so often on display in this country. No doubt when this clown discovers how many baskets he has stolen, will do like those that think it's ok to take the trolley home only to dump it on the street and expect someone else to pay for it's recovery.

How difficult is it to keep some shopping bags in the car? I generally wheel the trolley to the car, open the boot and place my groceries into the bags I keep in the boot.

What annoys me is when people leave shopping trolleys all over the place. I currently have a Kmart shopping trolley on the verge outside my house and I am not happy about it. I don't mind having to call them to come and pick it up, but I am wondering how long it will take for them to do so. The last time I reported shopping trolleys (Coles) across the road from my house on some parkland, they were still there three months later. At that point I sent a complaint to the CEO of Coles and within a couple of days the trolleys were removed. However, the kind person who picked up the trolleys also saw fit to walk across into my front garden and snap one of my standard roses in half!

Last edited:

View attachment 22154

View attachment 22155

Key Takeaways

I wish they would take the plastic milk containers the same way as the cans and such, but it appears that recycling businesses are not encouraged here like many others shutting down all around the country,

View attachment 22154

View attachment 22155

Key Takeaways

The bloke is a thief he will not bring back the basket or he would have put the things in his car then returned the basket Instead of taking your own bag in the beginning How hard is it you have bags in car Sou can use them now that is the common sense attitude which a lot of us have but for some just no explanation it’s not rocket science

I have used the canvas bags ever since they brought them out, last year coles were selling the brown canvas bags for 30 cents so we brought 10 because some of our green bags were looking worse for wear, even if you buy a bag for 2 or 3 dollars I believe the are now, if you added up each time you use the canvas bags compared to paying for the paper or the recycled plastic bags you would find the amount you pay out a year would be astronomical. Much cheaper to buy a canvas bag and use it 50 times rather than pay at the check out for each bag you need for your shopping. To me that is a no brainer.
Doesn't work if you are elderly and dependent on pickup or home delivery.

I think about 40% of my undersink cupboard space is jam-packed with various bags from Coles and Woollies and now I have to find somewhere with nil moisture for the paper bags that I refuse to put in the rubbish/recycling bins.

I think about 40% of my undersink cupboard space is jam-packed with various bags from Coles and Woollies and now I have to find somewhere with nil moisture for the paper bags that I refuse to put in the rubbish/recycling bins.
Let us know when you hit 50% and we'll get you on the TV show HOARDERS.

• Haha
Reactions: Mr Chips

View attachment 22154

View attachment 22155

Key Takeaways

He could have atleast emptied the basket into a box or something in his boot and left the basket in a trolley instead of pinhing the basket (and potentially raising the prices of everything for everyone since Coles now has to replace the basket)!!
I don't buy the stupid paper bags either. I've heard the stories about years ago when these dreaded things were used and they fell apart with corners of items pushing through them and forget them for cold/frozen items they just gave way.
But i use the ex-15 cent plastic ones till they pretty much fall apart then they become wrapping for things going into storage, so one day, when the soft plastic recycling starts again they can go into that.

View attachment 22154

View attachment 22155

Key Takeaways

If I go to the supermarket after a few items I look for an empty box 📦 on the shelf or around put my items in it take them home and recycle ♻️ the box 📦 in the appropriate bin 😑

Shoppers shave had 5 years to get used to bringing their own bags into the supermarket. How hard is it.

How difficult is it to keep some shopping bags in the car? I generally wheel the trolley to the car, open the boot and place my groceries into the bags I keep in the boot.

What annoys me is when people leave shopping trolleys all over the place. I currently have a Kmart shopping trolley on the verge outside my house and I am not happy about it. I don't mind having to call them to come and pick it up, but I am wondering how long it will take for them to do so. The last time I reported shopping trolleys (Coles) across the road from my house on some parkland, they were still there three months later. At that point I sent a complaint to the CEO of Coles and within a couple of days the trolleys were removed. However, the kind person who picked up the trolleys also saw fit to walk across into my front garden and snap one of my standard roses in half!
Hey sometimes I forget me shopping bags/I just take shopping to car and unload/ can’t see a problem with that.cheers

Reactions: terri
I always take shopping bags into the store for groceries,,the check out person packs them in the bags and I just lift them into the boot plus I always carry a couple in my handbag for smaller purchases elsewhere,,it really isn't hard