Brave Kmart worker confronts alleged thieves in carpark showdown

From shoplifting to vandalism and related offences, crime has risen in Australia since the onset of the pandemic, with statistics from the past year confirming this grim reality.

The retail sector is one such area that has seen a growing problem with crime, particularly with theft.

Recently, a brave Kmart worker risked her own safety when she caught alleged thieves red-handed pilfering store goods.

Video footage from outside a shopping centre in Adelaide's north shows the woman intercepting two people apparently attempting to steal a huge trolley of goods and products.

It was a brazen attempt; appliance boxes, homewares, kitchen appliances and clothing were stacked in the trolley as one of the women attempted to pack the items into her car before the staffer's intervention.

compressed-StocklandRockhamptonInternal19.jpeg
A Kmart worker managed to retrieve stolen goods and products from thieves. Image: Wikipedia

The worker chased them to their car and demanded they return the stolen products.

'You can tell everyone that comes and steals: enough's enough!' she shouted, as the thieves reluctantly handed back the trolley contents.

The goods were returned to Kmart, though it is unclear whether the thieves managed to slip off some unpaid items or if the pair have faced any charges.

Whether due to shoppers’ greater reliance on online stores, or the economic crisis pushing people to do desperate things to feed their families, retailers are facing unprecedented levels of theft.

Just this year, Coles announced 20 per cent stock losses from shoplifting, including food waste, as it revealed a $1.1 billion profit, while Woolworths estimated a quarter of stock loss from theft when it profited $1.6 billion.

A report from Monash Business School’s Australian Consumer and Retail Studies group even pointed out that more than a quarter of Australians think some level of retail theft is justified, particularly with those that use self-checkouts.

As a result of concerns like these, many retail stores have implemented ‘drastic measures’ to protect their customers and employees, from artificial intelligence and high-tech cameras at self-serve checkouts to gates that won’t open in case of a suspected shoplifter.

Those sensible measures, however irksome they can be to innocent shoppers, are all motivated by the immense cost of retail theft across the country: the Australian Retail Association estimates it’s as high as $9 billion a year!

Key Takeaways
  • A Kmart worker in Adelaide intercepted two alleged thieves attempting to steal a loaded trolley of goods.
  • Security footage captured when the employee demanded the pair return the stolen items.
  • Major retailers across Australia have reported an increase in theft, leading to the introduction of new surveillance measures.
  • Research from Monash Business School’s Australian Consumer and Retail Studies group revealed that more than a quarter of respondents felt retail theft was somewhat justifiable, citing the high cost of living as a dominant factor.

What do you think of this story? Does the Kmart worker deserve an award for her bravery? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
From shoplifting to vandalism and related offences, crime has risen in Australia since the onset of the pandemic, with statistics from the past year confirming this grim reality.

The retail sector is one such area that has seen a growing problem with crime, particularly with theft.

Recently, a brave Kmart worker risked her own safety when she caught alleged thieves red-handed pilfering store goods.

Video footage from outside a shopping centre in Adelaide's north shows the woman intercepting two people apparently attempting to steal a huge trolley of goods and products.

It was a brazen attempt; appliance boxes, homewares, kitchen appliances and clothing were stacked in the trolley as one of the women attempted to pack the items into her car before the staffer's intervention.

View attachment 37416
A Kmart worker managed to retrieve stolen goods and products from thieves. Image: Wikipedia

The worker chased them to their car and demanded they return the stolen products.

'You can tell everyone that comes and steals: enough's enough!' she shouted, as the thieves reluctantly handed back the trolley contents.

The goods were returned to Kmart, though it is unclear whether the thieves managed to slip off some unpaid items or if the pair have faced any charges.

Whether due to shoppers’ greater reliance on online stores, or the economic crisis pushing people to do desperate things to feed their families, retailers are facing unprecedented levels of theft.

Just this year, Coles announced 20 per cent stock losses from shoplifting, including food waste, as it revealed a $1.1 billion profit, while Woolworths estimated a quarter of stock loss from theft when it profited $1.6 billion.

A report from Monash Business School’s Australian Consumer and Retail Studies group even pointed out that more than a quarter of Australians think some level of retail theft is justified, particularly with those that use self-checkouts.

As a result of concerns like these, many retail stores have implemented ‘drastic measures’ to protect their customers and employees, from artificial intelligence and high-tech cameras at self-serve checkouts to gates that won’t open in case of a suspected shoplifter.

Those sensible measures, however irksome they can be to innocent shoppers, are all motivated by the immense cost of retail theft across the country: the Australian Retail Association estimates it’s as high as $9 billion a year!

Key Takeaways

• A Kmart worker in Adelaide intercepted two alleged thieves attempting to steal a loaded trolley of goods.
  • Security footage captured when the employee demanded the pair return the stolen items.
  • Major retailers across Australia have reported an increase in theft, leading to the introduction of new surveillance measures.
  • Research from Monash Business School’s Australian Consumer and Retail Studies group revealed that more than a quarter of respondents felt retail theft was somewhat justifiable, citing the high cost of living as a dominant factor.

What do you think of this story? Does the Kmart worker deserve an award for her bravery? Let us know in the comments below!
this lady certainly deserves some recognition for what she did but needs to be so careful these mongrels don't assault or kill her. I'm glad I no longer work with these type of people especially the young offenders. The worst kids did in those days was pinch cars and occasional breakins. They didn't carry knives, guns, etc. and didn't move in packs.

Self serve checkouts encourage stealing. I prefer a manned checkout and these are few now in Coles and Woolworths. I have health problems, get very tired standing for long and find the queues are getting longer for manned checkouts. I also hate having to double-handle the goods and check them in etc, then pack in a small area where there is not enough space. Although we do order most of our groceries online, I still need to shop for some things.

View attachment 37416

Key Takeaways

Awesome and brave

Reactions: PattiB
This will not be a popular post.

One very brave woman who acted entirely outside her work responsibilities and illegally. Once you are outside the boundaries of the shop itself, their staff have NO legal authority to search, detain or conduct an action that impinges on an individual's basic human rights. Same goes for store employed security staff.

Here is an example. Earlier this year, I was writing an article on bank closures and attempted to take photos of the Dandenong Plaza branch of the Commonwealth Bank, showing the massive queues waiting for teller and associated services. Standing a few metres from the entrance from the bank, I was preparing to take some photos when the untrained security goon made a grab for my phone A ten second tug-o-war ensued which I won. In Arnie style I said "I'll be back".

So off to Dandenong Police Station where I spoke of the incident to a Senior Constable who informed me that what he done was illegal and to immediately contact Police if it happens again. Back to the Plaza, I confronted the goon and asked him if he likes his job. He nodded to which I replied "Good...because if you try that stunt again, tomorrow you won't have one!' If he could have went pale, he would have. He actually committed a common assault against me.

Self serve checkouts encourage stealing. I prefer a manned checkout and these are few now in Coles and Woolworths. I have health problems, get very tired standing for long and find the queues are getting longer for manned checkouts. I also hate having to double-handle the goods and check them in etc, then pack in a small area where there is not enough space. Although we do order most of our groceries online, I still need to shop for some things.
Self service does not encourage shop lifting. People who steal from Kmart are not stealing food, they are taking goods they can sell off or use or whatever. So don't use excuses like self service checkouts, if you steal you are committing a crime.

View attachment 37416

Key Takeaways

An elderly lady it is harder and harder to manage without people, Cole’s had only one person on a register the other registers do it yourself. So I waited with other unhappy customers, then a new addition a gate blocking the way, I had my receipt in my hand but had to ask a guy in line with his shopping what to do as it wouldn’t open. Nearly in tears I asked them to check my bag, showed the receipt. It did of course let me out eventually but at 83 I was really upset.

• Sad
Reactions: Loubeauxarts
That’s a new one what coles has a gate.
All Coles will have by the end of 2024 - you can thank your dishonest citizens for this. I was in Katherine and people were trying to walk out without paying from the KMart Hub - i spoke to the cashier and she said we cannot do anything about it.

It is a terrible state of affairs to think that people who are honest have to pay for the idiots who have no regards for anyone else but themselves.