Vella Gonzaga

Vella Gonzaga

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 23, 2021
Bottle-O

compressed-Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 9.55.26 AM.jpeg
Credits: Facebook/Australia Remember When

Who remembers the Bottle-O? That old gent on his horse-drawn cart, shouting 'Bottle!' as he traversed the neighbourhood. Back then, kids scrambled to collect any bottles they could find, stacking them in the backyard for the Bottle-O's arrival. He'd take any bottle, but the real jackpot was the old PickAxe beer bottles, priced at fourpence a dozen! Do you have fond memories of waiting for the Bottle-O to swing by?

Last edited:
Reactions: Littleboy8
Bottle-O

View attachment 39022
Credits: Facebook/Australia Remember When

Who remembers the Bottle-O? That old gent on his horse-drawn cart, shouting 'Bottle!' as he traversed the neighbourhood. Back then, kids scrambled to collect any bottles they could find, stacking them in the backyard for the Bottle-O's arrival. He'd take any bottle, but the real jackpot was the old PickAxe beer bottles, priced at fourpence a dozen! Do you have fond memories of waiting for the Bottle-O to swing by?
No wasn’t born in the forties and a toddler in the 60’s I remember the milkman with the van though.😊

I was a child in Canada in the days of the milkman delivering milk from his horse drawn cart. There was an elderly couple next door, and each time the milk bottles were delivered, the elderly gentleman would be out there with his shovel to scoop up the poop. (In the colder weather you could see the steam rise from the poop). He had the most amazing vegetable garden and we were lucky to receive some of the fruits of his labour.

Reactions: Littleboy8
Did they ever deliver alcohol on a horse and cart.

My grandmother was born 1921 and never told me stories of this and she told me her whole life story.

I was born early 60s I remember bread being delivered in a truck and putting the empty milk bottles out at night ready for the milkman to swap for new bottles.

I remember the buttercup bread coming in a waxed paper and milk being in 600ml bottles or a pint with a silver bottle top

Reactions: Littleboy8 and DLHM
We had a milk delivery right to the front doorstep in bottles from the milkman and his horse drawn cart and my grandpa would scoop up the poo in our small street and use it in his vegetable garden in our back yard. We also had the local baker in a van delivering bread, and of course everyone's favourite the 'pan man' with his bucket on his shoulder. Have very vague memories of the bottle-o coming along with large hessian sacks of bottles on his cart....and then dad of course bringing home two bottles of beer in a paper bag after work.
Boy that has brought back some great memories for me today. 😂🙂

Reactions: Littleboy8 and DLHM
We had a milk delivery right to the front doorstep in bottles from the milkman and his horse drawn cart and my grandpa would scoop up the poo in our small street and use it in his vegetable garden in our back yard. We also had the local baker in a van delivering bread, and of course everyone's favourite the 'pan man' with his bucket on his shoulder. Have very vague memories of the bottle-o coming along with large hessian sacks of bottles on his cart....and then dad of course bringing home two bottles of beer in a paper bag after work.
Boy that has brought back some great memories for me today. 😂🙂
You just reminded me that we had the bread delivery as well as milk when I was a kid. My mum used the call the bread delivery guy Stale Bread Fred.