SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
M

Maddison Dwyer

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 20, 2021
Book Recommendation: The Codebreakers written by Alli Sinclair

Hello members!

I am so excited about posting this book recommendation because it has been a while (hasn't it?!)

The lovely member Loraine P. sent this recommendation through to me to share with you all! This is what Loraine P. had to say about the book:

'My story is pertaining to the three ladies you called 'the Garage Girls', and these particular ladies who have recently been acknowledged and awarded a medal for their contributions to WWII. A few months ago, I actually read a book called The Codebreakers, written by Alli Sinclair that actually tells in great depth the trials, tribulations, the harassment etc that all the women endured etc from their male counterparts. I actually found this book fascinating as I usually like to read historical fiction, but to know its taken so long for the last remaining women to finally be acknowledged is really quite sad. I hope you can either print my story, or even a shortened version I'd love others to know of the book and be aware of the hardships and sacrifice all the women gave up for their country.'

I found the book for sale online at multiple retailers, but Amazon was by far the cheapest at just $12 for a paperback which you can buy here, but if you see it any where cheaper post the link in the comments below for other members to buy :)

I'm so excited to read this book myself! Will you be reading it too?

Also, don't be afraid to jump in and recommend other books! I know myself and many other members will appreciate any recommendation!

OM goodness. Guess what? One of the garage ladies resides at the Aged Care facility where I volunteer. Her name is Coral and I got to meet her, and say Thank You for your service. I felt so honoured, especially knowing that no-one knew this for over 60 years, due to the strict privacy clause. She is 96(?) I think and is so sprightly. And in the next few weeks I get to have 1 on 1 chat with her. I am blown away.

Reactions: Biedronka
OM goodness. Guess what? One of the garage ladies resides at the Aged Care facility where I volunteer. Her name is Coral and I got to meet her, and say Thank You for your service. I felt so honoured, especially knowing that no-one knew this for over 60 years, due to the strict privacy clause. She is 96(?) I think and is so sprightly. And in the next few weeks I get to have 1 on 1 chat with her. I am blown away.
Oh dear. I am so saddened to say that when I turned up for my visit to Coral, I learned that she had passed late last week. All her family were with her, and she passed peacefully. So instead of my chat with her, I did a tribute to Coral beginning with reading of several paged of the book, The a video from Channel 7 and a video from The Project, and finished with The last Post, 2 min silence and Reveille. Was well attended and respectful to Coral's memory. RIP