Bindi Irwin's heartbreaking reaction to beloved Australia Zoo family member loss

Death is an inevitable part of life, and even though it's never easy, it's an experience that we’ll all have to face one day.

So, when—a few days ago—Bindi Irwin, daughter of the late and legendary Steve Irwin, posted an emotional video on her Instagram page, paying tribute to a beloved member of the Australia Zoo family, we certainly felt for her.

Bindi, with the support of brother Robert, mum Terri, and husband Chandler, has broken the sad news of the death of Rhino, an impressive Rhinoceros iguana, who was 42 at the time of his death.

Rhino had been part of the Irwin family and Australia Zoo since 1993 — a year after Terri and Steve Irwin got married.

Bindi made the heartbreaking announcement in the video where she could be seen struggling to contain her emotion as she talked about the late Rhinoceros iguana.

Members, this video is sure to bring tears to your eyes.

She said in the clip: 'I’m gonna work really hard on not crying, but I’m immediately gonna cry.'

At one point breaking down in tears as her mum Terri comforted her.

'It is with a very heavy heart that we have to say goodbye to Rhino, but we didn’t want to miss the opportunity to be able to share him one last time with you guys,' Bindi continued.

Rhino, who was born in 1980, received a Guinness World Record for being the oldest iguana ever discovered.

Robert Irwin, who was holding Rhino’s ashes in a box, added that the much-loved iguana was very much part of the family and loved to eat hibiscus flowers, and was full of 'attitude' and 'sass'.

'He lived a brilliant life every single day and that’s what you hold onto,' he said.

32a2a42656bccd68ef5365e09169bed3bfde0e67.png

The Irwin family gathered to announce the death of the beloved reptile. Credit: Instagram/Bindi Irwin.

After talking about their beloved Rhino, Bindi and Robert then took his ashes to Australia Zoo, where Rhino was lovingly spread beneath a tree.

The video also featured a touching video featuring footage of the late Steve Irwin talking about Rhino.

Screenshot_2023-02-02-14-16-49-69_1c337646f29875672b5a61192b9010f9.jpg
A short clip of the late Steve Irwin with Rhino was also featured in the video. Credit: Instagram/Bindi Irwin.

Bindi’s followers quickly flooded the comments section with heartfelt words of condolence.

'So sorry for your loss of Rhino,' one fan wrote.

'What a beautiful memorial.'

Another said: 'Oh my heart, you are so loved sweet Rhino, I’ll always remember the smiles you put on my face!'

'Thank you for caring and loving him. Everyone should treat animals the way you all do and the world would be a much happier place.'

330a794934fac75217bc8937e706f9ac9935e878.png

Rhino, a rhinoceros iguana born in 1980, joined the Australia Zoo in 1993. Credit: Instagram/Bindi Irwin.

Many followers were touched by the memorial the family took the time to put together for their beloved family member.

'How beautiful this memorial was, and it made me cry,' one user said.

'What a lucky rhino lizard he was to live at your amazing zoo.'

'Thank you for sharing.'

Key Takeaways

• Bindi Irwin and her family announced the death of Rhino, their much-loved Rhinoceros iguana.
  • Bindi shared emotional footage of the family celebrating Rhino’s life, including spreading his ashes beneath a tree at Australia Zoo.
  • Rhino had been part of Australia Zoo since 1993, and received a Guinness World Record for being the oldest known iguana.
  • Fans showed their sadness and appreciation for sharing the beautiful memorial on social media.

The loss of a pet can take a huge toll on mental health, whether it is through bereavement or through the decision to euthanise a sick or suffering pet. Pets can be important sources of joy, comfort and companionship, and their absence can have far-reaching consequences on our emotions.

A study conducted by the Missouri School of Veterinary Medicine showed that pet owners whose pets had passed away exhibited higher levels of depression, sadness, and guilt than those who owned healthy pets or had no pets.

It's not just the owners' mental health that is affected; when pets are euthanised, the family faces an emotional rollercoaster of grief, guilt, and sadness.

lifespan of common zoo animals.jpg
The impressive iguana managed to live up to the age of 42. Here's an infographic showing the lifespan of common zoo animals. Credit: Seniors Discount Club.

The loss of a pet can also lead to resentment and a deep sense of loneliness due to the lack of companionship. The sense of grief and trauma that people feel at the loss of a pet can even be comparable to that of losing a human family member.

Pets that have been part of the family for decades share special bonds with the family and their loss can be extremely difficult.

We can only imagine that the link to Steve made this especially difficult for the Irwin family.

Losing a member of the family, whether animal or human, can be an incredibly difficult thing to process.

If you’re struggling with grief, remember that there are dedicated support services that can help - take advantage of these to help you through this tough time.

Here are some support centres you can contact:

Our thoughts are with the Irwin family during this heartbreaking time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
Death is an inevitable part of life, and even though it's never easy, it's an experience that we’ll all have to face one day.

So, when—a few days ago—Bindi Irwin, daughter of the late and legendary Steve Irwin, posted an emotional video on her Instagram page, paying tribute to a beloved member of the Australia Zoo family, we certainly felt for her.

Bindi, with the support of brother Robert, mum Terri, and husband Chandler, has broken the sad news of the death of Rhino, an impressive Rhinoceros iguana, who was 42 at the time of his death.

Rhino had been part of the Irwin family and Australia Zoo since 1993 — a year after Terri and Steve Irwin got married.

Bindi made the heartbreaking announcement in the video where she could be seen struggling to contain her emotion as she talked about the late Rhinoceros iguana.

Members, this video is sure to bring tears to your eyes.

She said in the clip: 'I’m gonna work really hard on not crying, but I’m immediately gonna cry.'

At one point breaking down in tears as her mum Terri comforted her.

'It is with a very heavy heart that we have to say goodbye to Rhino, but we didn’t want to miss the opportunity to be able to share him one last time with you guys,' Bindi continued.

Rhino, who was born in 1980, received a Guinness World Record for being the oldest iguana ever discovered.

Robert Irwin, who was holding Rhino’s ashes in a box, added that the much-loved iguana was very much part of the family and loved to eat hibiscus flowers, and was full of 'attitude' and 'sass'.

'He lived a brilliant life every single day and that’s what you hold onto,' he said.

32a2a42656bccd68ef5365e09169bed3bfde0e67.png

The Irwin family gathered to announce the death of the beloved reptile. Credit: Instagram/Bindi Irwin.

After talking about their beloved Rhino, Bindi and Robert then took his ashes to Australia Zoo, where Rhino was lovingly spread beneath a tree.

The video also featured a touching video featuring footage of the late Steve Irwin talking about Rhino.

View attachment 12711
A short clip of the late Steve Irwin with Rhino was also featured in the video. Credit: Instagram/Bindi Irwin.

Bindi’s followers quickly flooded the comments section with heartfelt words of condolence.

'So sorry for your loss of Rhino,' one fan wrote.

'What a beautiful memorial.'

Another said: 'Oh my heart, you are so loved sweet Rhino, I’ll always remember the smiles you put on my face!'

'Thank you for caring and loving him. Everyone should treat animals the way you all do and the world would be a much happier place.'

330a794934fac75217bc8937e706f9ac9935e878.png

Rhino, a rhinoceros iguana born in 1980, joined the Australia Zoo in 1993. Credit: Instagram/Bindi Irwin.

Many followers were touched by the memorial the family took the time to put together for their beloved family member.

'How beautiful this memorial was, and it made me cry,' one user said.

'What a lucky rhino lizard he was to live at your amazing zoo.'

'Thank you for sharing.'

Key Takeaways

• Bindi Irwin and her family announced the death of Rhino, their much-loved Rhinoceros iguana.
  • Bindi shared emotional footage of the family celebrating Rhino’s life, including spreading his ashes beneath a tree at Australia Zoo.
  • Rhino had been part of Australia Zoo since 1993, and received a Guinness World Record for being the oldest known iguana.
  • Fans showed their sadness and appreciation for sharing the beautiful memorial on social media.

The loss of a pet can take a huge toll on mental health, whether it is through bereavement or through the decision to euthanise a sick or suffering pet. Pets can be important sources of joy, comfort and companionship, and their absence can have far-reaching consequences on our emotions.

A study conducted by the Missouri School of Veterinary Medicine showed that pet owners whose pets had passed away exhibited higher levels of depression, sadness, and guilt than those who owned healthy pets or had no pets.

It's not just the owners' mental health that is affected; when pets are euthanised, the family faces an emotional rollercoaster of grief, guilt, and sadness.

View attachment 12719
The impressive iguana managed to live up to the age of 42. Here's an infographic showing the lifespan of common zoo animals. Credit: Seniors Discount Club.

The loss of a pet can also lead to resentment and a deep sense of loneliness due to the lack of companionship. The sense of grief and trauma that people feel at the loss of a pet can even be comparable to that of losing a human family member.

Pets that have been part of the family for decades share special bonds with the family and their loss can be extremely difficult.

We can only imagine that the link to Steve made this especially difficult for the Irwin family.

Losing a member of the family, whether animal or human, can be an incredibly difficult thing to process.

If you’re struggling with grief, remember that there are dedicated support services that can help - take advantage of these to help you through this tough time.

Here are some support centres you can contact:

Our thoughts are with the Irwin family during this heartbreaking time.

But which member of the family did they cast into the wilderness!!

Reactions: Wandiwa and Ricci
It is very sad to lose a pet who is a family member. My heart goes out to the Irwin family.

Reactions: Ricci
I remember the memorial for Steve Irwin at the zoo several years ago now. Although it was a very sad occasion it was also a joy to be there among the animals that Steve loved best. sad that Rino had to die but it comes to all of us.

Yep, cried buckets when each of my fur babies and cats have died but I wonder how upset & emotional Bindi will be when her grandfather Bob passes on. Bet she's not on Instagram then sobbing to the world to feel sorry for her. Steve must roll in his grave every day for what went down after he passed away.