Billy Connolly shares heartbreaking struggles in his battle with Parkinson's disease

Sir Billy Connolly and his wife, Pamela Stephenson, have shared a grim health update for the Scottish comedian after his decade-long battle with Parkinson’s disease.

Connolly and Stephenson opened up about how the symptoms of Parkinson’s disease have caused a 'deterioration' in his balance which has led to 'a couple of serious falls'.

Connolly, 80, revealed he now finds it increasingly hard to take long walks due to the debilitating disease. He said: 'That was never such a problem before, but in the last year that has come and it has stayed.'

'For some reason, I thought it would go away because a lot of the symptoms have come and gone away.'

SDC Images (11).png
Billy Connolly, 80, is a Scottish comedian. Image source: billyconnolly.com.

This only added to Connolly’s 'list of things that hold [him] back', such as taking long walks.

'I feel like I want to go for a walk, but I go for 50 yards [45 metres], and I want to go home because I’m tired,' he shared.

'I’m being encroached upon by this disease.'

'It’s creeping up behind me and stopping me [from] doing things. It’s a cruel disease.'

The comedian, known for his energetic stage performances, was diagnosed with Parkinson’s in 2013—the same day he was diagnosed with prostate cancer.

These illnesses have led to his retirement from doing live performances in 2018.

Connolly and Stephenson also shared how their relationship has changed since his diagnosis. Stephenson now helps him get dressed every morning and gives him a ride to places due to his inability to drive.

Despite this, she described Connolly’s disease as 'pretty slow-moving'.

'Really, really slow-moving, but that doesn’t make it any more pleasant,' Connolly replied.

In other news, a new AI tool that can predict Parkinson’s disease with up to 96 per cent accuracy was released in a research published in ACS Central Science.

The tool can detect the disease up to 15 years before a clinical diagnosis based on the analysis of chemicals in the blood.

While this AI tool showed promise for accurate early diagnosis, it also revealed chemicals that were strongly linked to a correct prediction.

You can read more about this technology here.
Key Takeaways
  • Sir Billy Connolly has revealed a serious setback in his decade-long battle with Parkinson's disease, reporting a new symptom—loss of balance.
  • Connolly has suffered a ‘couple of serious falls' due to this new symptom.
  • The deterioration in balance has significantly impacted Connolly's lifestyle, as it restricts his ability to take long walks and has forced him to stop driving.
  • His wife, Pamela Stephenson, who is also his carer, revealed that the disease has significantly changed their relationship, with her now assisting Connolly with daily tasks such as getting dressed and providing transportation.
Members, if you or anyone you know is diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease, share this link with them for more information on the disease and for support: https://www.parkinsons.org.au/.

Let us know your thoughts on this story in the comments below!

Sponsored
My husband had Parkinson’s and it impacted his speech and mobility. He also had bladder cancer and had a pacemake/defibrillator implant. He passed away June of this year of cardiac arrest,he was only 76.

My husband had Parkinson’s and it impacted his speech and mobility. He also had bladder cancer and had a pacemake/defibrillator implant. He passed away June of this year of cardiac arrest,he was only 76.
I'm so sorry with what you and hubby went through, at least he is at peace and I pray you are able to find some peace

My grandfather had Parkinson’s but ended up dying from cancer.

It was a horrible disease, in the end he had to be fed and couldn't hold his bladder.
It hit him pretty quick , I remember we said it was like he grew old over night.

He had just retired from driving garbage trucks for Canterbury council, was still going to the horse races every Saturday and then it stopped suddenly.

My grandfather had Parkinson’s but ended up dying from cancer.

It was a horrible disease, in the end he had to be fed and couldn't hold his bladder.
It hit him pretty quick , I remember we said it was like he grew old over night.

He had just retired from driving garbage trucks for Canterbury council, was still going to the horse races every Saturday and then it stopped suddenly.
Your poor grandfather. I don’t know of any Parkinsons in my family. Plenty of other things though 🤨

Sir Billy Connolly and his wife, Pamela Stephenson, have shared a grim health update for the Scottish comedian after his decade-long battle with Parkinson’s disease.

Connolly and Stephenson opened up about how the symptoms of Parkinson’s disease have caused a 'deterioration' in his balance which has led to 'a couple of serious falls'.

Connolly, 80, revealed he now finds it increasingly hard to take long walks due to the debilitating disease. He said: 'That was never such a problem before, but in the last year that has come and it has stayed.'

'For some reason, I thought it would go away because a lot of the symptoms have come and gone away.'

View attachment 31272

This only added to Connolly’s 'list of things that hold [him] back', such as taking long walks.

'I feel like I want to go for a walk, but I go for 50 yards [45 metres], and I want to go home because I’m tired,' he shared.

'It’s creeping up behind me and stopping me [from] doing things. It’s a cruel disease.'

The comedian, known for his energetic stage performances, was diagnosed with Parkinson’s in 2013—the same day he was diagnosed with prostate cancer.

These illnesses have led to his retirement from doing live performances in 2018.

Connolly and Stephenson also shared how their relationship has changed since his diagnosis. Stephenson now helps him get dressed every morning and gives him a ride to places due to his inability to drive.

'Really, really slow-moving, but that doesn’t make it any more pleasant,' Connolly replied.

In other news, a new AI tool that can predict Parkinson’s disease with up to 96 per cent accuracy was released in a research published in ACS Central Science.

The tool can detect the disease up to 15 years before a clinical diagnosis based on the analysis of chemicals in the blood.

While this AI tool showed promise for accurate early diagnosis, it also revealed chemicals that were strongly linked to a correct prediction.

Key Takeaways

• Sir Billy Connolly has revealed a serious setback in his decade-long battle with Parkinson's disease, reporting a new symptom—loss of balance.
  • The deterioration in balance has significantly impacted Connolly's lifestyle, as it restricts his ability to take long walks and has forced him to stop driving.
  • His wife, Pamela Stephenson, who is also his carer, revealed that the disease has significantly changed their relationship, with her now assisting Connolly with daily tasks such as getting dressed and providing transportation.
Members, if you or anyone you know is diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease, share this link with them for more information on the disease and for support: https://www.parkinsons.org.au/.

the funniest man ever. So many horrible diseases for so many to endure. wish there was a magic want.

Thank you. He was glad to go he told us many times he had had enough. I miss him every day.
Of course you do, now you need to remember all those good memories and leave the ones off hum being sick behind.
I believe that one day we will be with our loved ones again .

Keep busy and remember there are plenty of wonderful people on here that would be more than happy for a chat including me.

View attachment 31272

Key Takeaways

billy has not died.

Reactions: Littleboy8 and RTS

View attachment 31272

Key Takeaways

I am a Carer for my husband who has Alzheimers. I find Billy's condition is similar in many respects. The slow deterioration of the man Pam knew. His great wit no longer, the ability to make decisions is no longer there. As a wife and a Carer the burden of every day life falls on you twofold. You have to look after yourself and the person you love. And everyday is not the same, there are good days when the routine goes smoothly and then there are bad days when he is in a bad mood where things can turn nasty. But you soldier on.

I am a Carer for my husband who has Alzheimers. I find Billy's condition is similar in many respects. The slow deterioration of the man Pam knew. His great wit no longer, the ability to make decisions is no longer there. As a wife and a Carer the burden of every day life falls on you twofold. You have to look after yourself and the person you love. And everyday is not the same, there are good days when the routine goes smoothly and then there are bad days when he is in a bad mood where things can turn nasty. But you soldier on.
You are providing such wonderful care for your husband - be very proud of yourself and take care.

View attachment 31272

Key Takeaways

Such a sad thing to happen to such a great entrtainer. He must be so frustrated at not being able to do those things he used to do. My good wishes go to him and his wife and family that they may endure this time with patience and happiness in other areas.