Beware! This Medicare scam could be targeting you next

Scams and fraudsters are everywhere–and it seems no one is safe. Even official government offices, like Medicare, are not immune, and seniors are especially vulnerable.

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission's (ACCC) Scamwatch has recently reported fake emails, which impersonate Medicare, doing the rounds.

The emails claim that the recipient's Medicare services have been suspended due to a lack of information in their medical records, which must be updated to reactivate them.

‘In order to reactivate your Medicare services without delay, please complete the form below with the required information,’ the scam email reads.

‘This process will enable us to update your medical records quickly and efficiently.’

Screenshot 2023-08-15 093627.png
The ACCC warned Medicare users of a fake email that asks for personal information. Credit: Scamwatch

It also includes the Medicare logo and branding and a link to the form, which must supposedly be filled out.

The ACCC warns Aussies to stay vigilant if they receive one of these emails and not to click the link or hand over any of their personal information.

‘Ignore the email and instructions to reactivate your Medicare services–it's a scam. Ignore, delete, and report to Scamwatch,’ the ACCC advised.

Members should report it to Scamwatch here.

Services Australia has also confirmed that it would never ask for your money or clickable links and attachments, so if you receive something like this, it is best to delete it and be aware.

Aussies lost a record high of $3.1 billion to scams last year.

Here's how you can stay safe:

• If you receive a suspicious email, delete it and do not click on the links or share your personal information
  • Carefully read any communications you receive from Medicare–they will never ask you for money or for links/attachments to be clicked on
  • Be aware of the contact method. The top ones scammers use are text messages, phone, email, the internet and social networking or online forums.

We can all do our part to spread the word about this scam and keep our members safe!

Members have access to our Scam Watch forum, where anyone can post suspicious communications they suspect as a scam.

One such instance is a Medicare Text Scam early this year, where the message said, ‘YOUR MEDICARE CLAIMS AND PAYMENT ARE NOW AVAILABLE FOR PROCESSING AND DISBURSEMENT’ followed by a link. Of course, members were warned not to click on the link. You can read more about this here.

If you are concerned or notice any suspicious activity, contact Services Australia's Scams and Identity Theft Helpdesk on 1800 941 126.

Key Takeaways
  • Scammers are impersonating the healthcare scheme Medicare and sending emails to Australians to trick them into handing over their details.
  • The fake email claims the recipient's services have been suspended due to a lack of information regarding their medical records.
  • Scamwatch advises people to ignore and delete the fake Medicare email. Recipients should also report the scam to them.
  • Services Australia also recommends calling its Scams and Identity Theft Helpdesk (1800 941 126) if anyone has clicked on a suspicious link or given personal information due to these scams.

Have you seen this Medicare scam or something similar, members? Share your experience in the comments below!

Sponsored
Scams and fraudsters are everywhere–and it seems no one is safe. Even official government offices, like Medicare, are not immune, and seniors are especially vulnerable.

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission's (ACCC) Scamwatch has recently reported fake emails, which impersonate Medicare, doing the rounds.

The emails claim that the recipient's Medicare services have been suspended due to a lack of information in their medical records, which must be updated to reactivate them.

‘In order to reactivate your Medicare services without delay, please complete the form below with the required information,’ the scam email reads.

‘This process will enable us to update your medical records quickly and efficiently.’

View attachment 27471
The ACCC warned Medicare users of a fake email that asks for personal information. Credit: Scamwatch

It also includes the Medicare logo and branding and a link to the form, which must supposedly be filled out.

The ACCC warns Aussies to stay vigilant if they receive one of these emails and not to click the link or hand over any of their personal information.

‘Ignore the email and instructions to reactivate your Medicare services–it's a scam. Ignore, delete, and report to Scamwatch,’ the ACCC advised.

Services Australia has also confirmed that it would never ask for your money or clickable links and attachments, so if you receive something like this, it is best to delete it and be aware.

• If you receive a suspicious email, delete it and do not click on the links or share your personal information
  • Carefully read any communications you receive from Medicare–they will never ask you for money or for links/attachments to be clicked on
  • Be aware of the contact method. The top ones scammers use are text messages, phone, email, the internet and social networking or online forums.

We can all do our part to spread the word about this scam and keep our members safe!

Members have access to our Scam Watch forum, where anyone can post suspicious communications they suspect as a scam.

One such instance is a Medicare Text Scam early this year, where the message said, ‘YOUR MEDICARE CLAIMS AND PAYMENT ARE NOW AVAILABLE FOR PROCESSING AND DISBURSEMENT’ followed by a link. Of course, members were warned not to click on the link. You can read more about this here.

If you are concerned or notice any suspicious activity, contact Services Australia's Scams and Identity Theft Helpdesk on 1800 941 126.

Key Takeaways

• Scammers are impersonating the healthcare scheme Medicare and sending emails to Australians to trick them into handing over their details.
  • The fake email claims the recipient's services have been suspended due to a lack of information regarding their medical records.
  • Scamwatch advises people to ignore and delete the fake Medicare email. Recipients should also report the scam to them.
  • Services Australia also recommends calling its Scams and Identity Theft Helpdesk (1800 941 126) if anyone has clicked on a suspicious link or given personal information due to these scams.

Have you seen this Medicare scam or something similar, members? Share your experience in the comments below!

Yes there is another one purporting to be from www.mygovid.gov.au - in regard to your ATO information and wanting to validate you details.
This is the 3rd one I have received - I ended up replying and telling them they are wasting their time and to bugger off.

Reactions: Macarj

View attachment 27471

Key Takeaways

DON'T GIVE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION TO ANYONE! Not even the government.

Reactions: Tervueren
Got one of these yesterday, and of course deleted it right away. Also had one telling me my computer had a virus and I had five minutes to respond by clicking the link. I deleted them both without opening them.

View attachment 27471

Key Takeaways

I want to ask if anybody using PayPal got any emails to confirm their tax file number ?
I got about 3 or 4 emails, but I never answered because I only ysed PayPal, maybe once or twice a while ago. But it sounded fishy to me ! Why would PayPal asking for my tax file number, I only spent a low amount and besides we pay GST on everything !

I want to ask if anybody using PayPal got any emails to confirm their tax file number ?
I got about 3 or 4 emails, but I never answered because I only ysed PayPal, maybe once or twice a while ago. But it sounded fishy to me ! Why would PayPal asking for my tax file number, I only spent a low amount and besides we pay GST on everything !
Definitely a phishing scam

Got one of these yesterday, and of course deleted it right away. Also had one telling me my computer had a virus and I had five minutes to respond by clicking the link. I deleted them both without opening them.
Good reaction.

Same here morons🙀