Beware of this deadly risk lurking in homes built before 1990

Home renovation can be a rewarding endeavour.

However, for those tackling projects in homes built before 1990, there's a hidden danger that could have deadly consequences.

Asbestos, a once-popular building material, is present in one in three Australian homes.

It is also responsible for approximately 4,000 deaths each year from cancer and other asbestos-related diseases—three times the national road toll.

SDC1.png
Asbestos, present in most homes built before 1990, seriously threatens human safety. Image source: City of Ballarat, Victoria.

As the 20th anniversary of Australia's ban on asbestos approaches, it's crucial for homeowners and do-it-yourself renovators to be aware of the health risks associated with this hazardous material.

Not only could you be putting your health at risk, but also that of your family and neighbours who might be exposed during the renovation process.

Despite the ban on asbestos in December 2003, the risks associated with this material are far from over.

The risk of exposure and environmental contamination is also heightened by frequent extreme weather events, such as floods and fires, which can damage structures and release asbestos fibres into the air.

As Paul Bastian, Chair of the Asbestos Safety and Eradication Council, warns, 'Australia is paying a devastating price for our past use of asbestos, having one of the highest death rates of asbestos-related diseases in the world.'

'There is a concern that a growing number of DIY renovators are next in line for exposure and disease.'Bastian encouraged tradespeople and homeowners not to cut corners to save costs.

'Know where asbestos is before starting work, and don’t touch it if you don’t have the training and equipment to remove it safely—use a licensed asbestos professional instead,' he advised.

Homes built before 1990 are particularly likely to contain asbestos, especially in kitchen and bathroom areas. If you're planning a renovation project, having your home inspected for asbestos before you start is essential.

You can find a list of licensed asbestos professional removalists through your state or territory’s work health and safety regulators. Be sure to request for a copy of the removalist’s license, or contact your local work health and safety regulator in your state or territory to confirm if they have the right class of license for the job.

Asbestos was widely used in construction due to its heat resistance, strength, and insulating properties. It can be found in millions of buildings and structures across Australia, including in roofing, flooring, and wall materials.

The danger lies not in the material itself but in the tiny fibres that can be released when disturbed or damaged.

These fibres can be inhaled and become lodged in the lungs, leading to serious health problems such as asbestosis, lung cancer, and mesothelioma.

Asbestos-related diseases often take many years to develop, so you might not realise you've been exposed until it's too late.

Symptoms include shortness of breath, a persistent cough, chest pain, and unexplained weight loss.

If you've been exposed to asbestos and experience any of these symptoms, it's crucial to seek medical advice immediately.

Key Takeaways
  • Renovators are being warned about the dangers of asbestos in pre-1990 homes, as it poses a significant health risk and leads to around 4,000 deaths each year in Australia.
  • Asbestos is found in one in three houses across Australia, and exposure and environmental contamination have also increased due to frequent extreme weather events.
  • Asbestos Safety and Eradication Council Chair Paul Bastian has highlighted a growing concern for DIY renovators who could be exposed to asbestos and, in turn, face related diseases.
  • Bastian advises homeowners and tradespeople to use a licensed professional to remove asbestos, especially in homes built before 1990 that are likely to have asbestos-containing materials.
  • Renovators can find a list of licensed asbestos professional removalists through the website of their state or territory’s work health and safety regulators.
Have you encountered asbestos during your home renovation projects? Share your experiences and tips in the comments below.

Sponsored
I am at the tail end of a renovation involving a removal home. This home was purchased, cut in half and transported to my land. The house was sold to me as being totally asbestos free.

The removal company, with supposedly many years of experience, and with experienced crews, used power tools to cut through asbestos ceilings, exposing themselves and the entire house to asbestos fibres. They then transported the contaminated building about 25 kms, through several suburbs. The crew then slept in the house overnight. At the end of the day, got into their cars and drove home to their families- contaminating all and everything they came into contact with.

The asbestos sheets and debris, was discovered by my son, who is a licensed asbestos remover, strewn through a bathroom and also under and around the outside of the house. He could not believe what he was seeing and was livid.
My son reported this company to the local authorities, who acted quickly. This company merely got a slap on the wrist, with a fine.

However, for those tackling projects in homes built before 1990, there's a hidden danger that could have deadly consequences.

Asbestos, a once-popular building material, is present in one in three Australian homes.

It is also responsible for approximately 4,000 deaths each year from cancer and other asbestos-related diseases—three times the national road toll.

View attachment 35304
Asbestos, present in most homes built before 1990, seriously threatens human safety. Image source: City of Ballarat, Victoria.

As the 20th anniversary of Australia's ban on asbestos approaches, it's crucial for homeowners and do-it-yourself renovators to be aware of the health risks associated with this hazardous material.

Not only could you be putting your health at risk, but also that of your family and neighbours who might be exposed during the renovation process.

Despite the ban on asbestos in December 2003, the risks associated with this material are far from over.

The risk of exposure and environmental contamination is also heightened by frequent extreme weather events, such as floods and fires, which can damage structures and release asbestos fibres into the air.

As Paul Bastian, Chair of the Asbestos Safety and Eradication Council, warns, 'Australia is paying a devastating price for our past use of asbestos, having one of the highest death rates of asbestos-related diseases in the world.'

'There is a concern that a growing number of DIY renovators are next in line for exposure and disease.'Bastian encouraged tradespeople and homeowners not to cut corners to save costs.

'Know where asbestos is before starting work, and don’t touch it if you don’t have the training and equipment to remove it safely—use a licensed asbestos professional instead,' he advised.

Homes built before 1990 are particularly likely to contain asbestos, especially in kitchen and bathroom areas. If you're planning a renovation project, having your home inspected for asbestos before you start is essential.

You can find a list of licensed asbestos professional removalists through your state or territory’s work health and safety regulators. Be sure to request for a copy of the removalist’s license, or contact your local work health and safety regulator in your state or territory to confirm if they have the right class of license for the job.

Asbestos was widely used in construction due to its heat resistance, strength, and insulating properties. It can be found in millions of buildings and structures across Australia, including in roofing, flooring, and wall materials.

The danger lies not in the material itself but in the tiny fibres that can be released when disturbed or damaged.

These fibres can be inhaled and become lodged in the lungs, leading to serious health problems such as asbestosis, lung cancer, and mesothelioma.

Asbestos-related diseases often take many years to develop, so you might not realise you've been exposed until it's too late.

Symptoms include shortness of breath, a persistent cough, chest pain, and unexplained weight loss.

If you've been exposed to asbestos and experience any of these symptoms, it's crucial to seek medical advice immediately.

Key Takeaways

• Renovators are being warned about the dangers of asbestos in pre-1990 homes, as it poses a significant health risk and leads to around 4,000 deaths each year in Australia.
  • Asbestos is found in one in three houses across Australia, and exposure and environmental contamination have also increased due to frequent extreme weather events.
  • Asbestos Safety and Eradication Council Chair Paul Bastian has highlighted a growing concern for DIY renovators who could be exposed to asbestos and, in turn, face related diseases.
  • Bastian advises homeowners and tradespeople to use a licensed professional to remove asbestos, especially in homes built before 1990 that are likely to have asbestos-containing materials.
  • Renovators can find a list of licensed asbestos professional removalists through the website of their state or territory’s work health and safety regulators.
Have you encountered asbestos during your home renovation projects? Share your experiences and tips in the comments below.
After decades of knowing the producers are still not held to account for removal, just like the recent flammable cladding debacle, owners are held accountable for it's disposal. That's not justice.

View attachment 35304

Key Takeaways

One of my brothers died because of it, one's got it, while I used to sleep with the asbestos lagged pipes over my head? so far fingers crossed.

Reactions: Ezzy
i am a retired plumber and through exposure to asbestosis over the years during my occupation i received a payout as compesation but alas,it was classed as a windfall according to Centerlink just like winning the lotto.When i became an old age pensioner it became part of my pension.Some windfall would you agree?

i am a retired plumber and through exposure to asbestosis over the years during my occupation i received a payout as compesation but alas,it was classed as a windfall according to Centerlink just like winning the lotto.When i became an old age pensioner it became part of my pension.Some windfall would you agree?
That's such rubbish on Centrelink's part. Get some legal advice.

Reactions: Ezzy and magpie1
I was born in a house that had a lot of Asbestos sheeting around it....it was a very popular building product back in the day.....I lived in the house with my Grandfather, Mum and Dad and my elder Brother. We built a lot of things with this over the years. I think we might have had Asbestos roof insulation as well. 🤔😉

View attachment 35304

Key Takeaways

I've worked with companies that have removed asbestos from power stations 🚉 gas and oil refineries and I have it in my home 🏡 built back in the 60's as long as you don't disturb it it(drill ,sand break it )is fine if renovating and you are not sure you can get it tested to see if it is this, is a killer and indiscriminate men ,women,kids lost two work colleagues to it it takes time ⏲ to kill you lung 🫁 cancer etc so if unsure get a qualified removalists in it is a killer remember that 😢

I am at the tail end of a renovation involving a removal home. This home was purchased, cut in half and transported to my land. The house was sold to me as being totally asbestos free.

The removal company, with supposedly many years of experience, and with experienced crews, used power tools to cut through asbestos ceilings, exposing themselves and the entire house to asbestos fibres. They then transported the contaminated building about 25 kms, through several suburbs. The crew then slept in the house overnight. At the end of the day, got into their cars and drove home to their families- contaminating all and everything they came into contact with.

The asbestos sheets and debris, was discovered by my son, who is a licensed asbestos remover, strewn through a bathroom and also under and around the outside of the house. He could not believe what he was seeing and was livid.
My son reported this company to the local authorities, who acted quickly. This company merely got a slap on the wrist, with a fine.
That is a total selfish company, unfortunately this isn't uncommon. No regard for their employees or anyone else. Could it be reported further, these people know the dangers & shouldn't be in business. People who are exposed go on a register. I grew up in 2 asbestos homes, fingers crossed none of us have been exposed. We didn't know then the dangers of this years ago.

View attachment 35304

Key Takeaways

My house was built in 1981 - using asbestos sheeting. The vinyl on the kitchen & bathroom floors was also backed with asbestos.

I was placed on the register in 1988 together with other people doing a particular job at that time.

While working for the Water Authority of W.A. we were shown a video on the safe removal of asbestos which included gearing up with disposable suits & gloves as seen in the photo, a respirator & with no skin exposed. In the photo shown here the operator's wrists are exposed. Shouldn't the suits be taped to the gloves for complete shin coverage? The sheets are fully saturated with water first before removal. Removed sheets are wrapped in thick black plastic & taped (up in batches of 10 sheets) with tape that warns of asbestos danger. All protective equipment is also bagged & disposed of.

I once refused to remove sheets of asbestos from a backyard garage for a gent who owned a free newspaper in Perth. When l stopped doing work for him a year later the garage was still standing & his son & girlfriend had moved in with their child. I hope they realised at some time what they had in their backyard.