Beware of the new road toll scam: Here's how you can safeguard yourself

The roads may still be a peril for us even after we've comfortably parked our vehicles.

This time, it has nothing to do with the unpredictable drivers or dodgy potholes but with crafty road toll scams currently doing the rounds.

Last year, these sneaky schemers pocketed over half a million dollars straight from the pockets of unsuspecting motorists in Australia.

The scammers send text messages claiming a toll has not been paid. They craftily caution the driver about the need to dodge impending fines.

One message reads, 'Your vehicle was not deducted when it passes (sic) through the Toll Gate. Please deal with it in time to avoid fines'.

toll.png
A new wave of road toll scams is currently circulating. Source: SDC

Imagine these scam messages lurking in your phone, waiting to snap up your bank details!

Scamwatch, a branch of the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) on constant high alert over emerging fraud tactics, has issued a hard-to-ignore warning about these phishing scams.

These deceitful messages aim to steal your personal information and empty your pockets. We say, 'Not on our watch, scammers!'

Scamwatch shared, ‘Watch out for the latest round of road toll scams. Don’t click the link! Instead, check your account by searching your registration plate number on the road toll company's website or log in the usual way.’

compressed-scamz.jpeg
Toll scams have become increasingly prevalent, causing concerns among road users. Image by Thirdman from Pexels

According to Scamwatch, they received an alarming 14,500 reports ladenwith cries of help from victims of road toll scams just in 2022. The reported losses are gobsmacking, totalling $664,000.

The scammers tend to masquerade as representatives from Linkt, a prominent road toll operator, professing that the motorist's account has run out of funds or, worse, has lingering dues.

To make it seem more authentic, they might use unknown numbers or resort to spoofing techniques to make it look like the messages are indeed from Linkt.

The plot thickens when unsuspecting customers click the link in the scam message.

This act is reciprocated by directing them to a phony Linkt website that looks convincingly real but is engineered to rob them of their personal or financial details.

Key Takeaways
  • Aussie drivers are on alert due to a new road toll scam where a fake text message is sent claiming the driver has not paid a toll.
  • The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission’s (ACCC) Scamwatch has warned of these phishing scams that aim to steal personal and financial information from the recipient.
  • There were over 14,500 reports of road toll scams in 2022, with $664,000 in reported losses.
  • Scammers mostly pretend to be the road toll operator Linkt, and they use convincing fake Linkt websites to steal personal or financial details.

To outsmart these clever clogs, Linkt has provided some warning signs to keep an eye on:

Linkt said some red flags to look out for include:
  • Incorrect spelling and grammar
  • Strange links that don’t look like legitimate websites
  • Requests that may be vague or unspecific
  • Use of urgent language or threats/consequences if you don’t take immediate action
As we enjoy modern convenience, let’s not forget to exercise vigilance and healthy scepticism.

Have you heard about recent road toll scams targeting unsuspecting motorists? Share your thoughts and any experiences you may have had with such scams.

Additionally, feel free to discuss any measures or tips you follow to safeguard yourself against online scams and fraudulent activities!

Sponsored
We are constantly warned to check the language when we receive an unexpected email.
The language on this post is definitely not the way we, as Australians would speak; therefore, it is obviously a scam.

No tolls in SA but still receiving these messages. Would have thought by now that we all know NOT to click on a link of any kind for any reason.

Reactions: Wandiwa
we all use or (misuse) the net so no one in their right mind would click on a "short" url so obviously a scam.

The roads may still be a peril for us even after we've comfortably parked our vehicles.

This time, it has nothing to do with the unpredictable drivers or dodgy potholes but with crafty road toll scams currently doing the rounds.

Last year, these sneaky schemers pocketed over half a million dollars straight from the pockets of unsuspecting motorists in Australia.

The scammers send text messages claiming a toll has not been paid. They craftily caution the driver about the need to dodge impending fines.

One message reads, 'Your vehicle was not deducted when it passes (sic) through the Toll Gate. Please deal with it in time to avoid fines'.

View attachment 25386

Imagine these scam messages lurking in your phone, waiting to snap up your bank details!

Scamwatch, a branch of the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) on constant high alert over emerging fraud tactics, has issued a hard-to-ignore warning about these phishing scams.

These deceitful messages aim to steal your personal information and empty your pockets. We say, 'Not on our watch, scammers!'

Scamwatch shared, ‘Watch out for the latest round of road toll scams. Don’t click the link! Instead, check your account by searching your registration plate number on the road toll company's website or log in the usual way.’

View attachment 25387
Toll scams have become increasingly prevalent, causing concerns among road users. Image by Thirdman from Pexels

According to Scamwatch, they received an alarming 14,500 reports ladenwith cries of help from victims of road toll scams just in 2022. The reported losses are gobsmacking, totalling $664,000.

The scammers tend to masquerade as representatives from Linkt, a prominent road toll operator, professing that the motorist's account has run out of funds or, worse, has lingering dues.

To make it seem more authentic, they might use unknown numbers or resort to spoofing techniques to make it look like the messages are indeed from Linkt.

The plot thickens when unsuspecting customers click the link in the scam message.

This act is reciprocated by directing them to a phony Linkt website that looks convincingly real but is engineered to rob them of their personal or financial details.

Key Takeaways

• Aussie drivers are on alert due to a new road toll scam where a fake text message is sent claiming the driver has not paid a toll.
  • The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission’s (ACCC) Scamwatch has warned of these phishing scams that aim to steal personal and financial information from the recipient.
  • There were over 14,500 reports of road toll scams in 2022, with $664,000 in reported losses.
  • Scammers mostly pretend to be the road toll operator Linkt, and they use convincing fake Linkt websites to steal personal or financial details.

To outsmart these clever clogs, Linkt has provided some warning signs to keep an eye on:

• Use of urgent language or threats/consequences if you don’t take immediate action
As we enjoy modern convenience, let’s not forget to exercise vigilance and healthy scepticism.

Have you heard about recent road toll scams targeting unsuspecting motorists? Share your thoughts and any experiences you may have had with such scams.

Additionally, feel free to discuss any measures or tips you follow to safeguard yourself against online scams and fraudulent activities!
Here we go again!
As I have said so many times before if you fall for these scams then you are a bloody idiot and deserve to lose your money!
I have NO SYMPATHY whatsoever for anyone who falls for these scams!
I have had probably 10 text messages from Linkt telling me just that and I simply ignore the!
once again: A foll and his money are easily parted!

View attachment 25386

View attachment 25387

Key Takeaways

Start an account with linkt an they will deduct it out of your bank account.

Reactions: Ezzy
Yup got those Linkt scam msgs before but since i didnt drive into toll areas i jes ignored them..now latest scam msg i received is mygov n again I choose to ignore n delete it..hate d scammers

Reactions: Colette 3799
I have had these too, but with no toll in my area, I have always ignored. Most recently 2 txt from ‘Apple’ saying I have downloaded games @$25 & today $30. I have not followed link, but checked for downloads on my iPad & my bank directly. so infuriatin!

Reactions: JeyaR
Here we go again!
As I have said so many times before if you fall for these scams then you are a bloody idiot and deserve to lose your money!
I have had probably 10 text messages from Linkt telling me just that and I simply ignore the!
It can happen to the most ‘tech savvy’ the scammers change their ID & come up with different scams all the time, a little empathy for those that are scammed, often through no fault of their own would be nice!

View attachment 25386

View attachment 25387

Key Takeaways

Here we go again!
There are many vulnerable people in the community; the elderly, those who don't speak English well, people with cognitive disabilities, etc. You are clearly very smart and would never be caught out by scammers, however your comments and lack of empathy are harsh and unpleasant.

What does the (sic) refer to -- just the word "passes"?
'sic' in brackets is used to indicate that an error (e.g. a spelling error or a strange word) is simply repeated from the original source. In this case, the word 'passes' should have been passed. And another error is that the vehicle is not deducted from anything, the toll is deducted as the vehicle passes the toll reader. Poor syntax there (grammar).

After all the information that's out there now why would anybody click on anything in an email?