Beware of the counterfeit cash circulating in major retailers

Australians are being warned about a new threat to their hard-earned money: counterfeit cash.

This isn't just any fake money, though. These are high-quality counterfeits being sold online that are so convincing they could potentially fool major retailers like Coles and Woolworths.

Advertisements for these counterfeit banknotes have been popping up on Facebook, showcasing stacks of $50 and $100 bills.

One seller even assured Yahoo Finance that the notes would be accepted at Coles and Woolworths and could be shipped within two days of receiving payment via cryptocurrency.

The asking price? A mere $250 for $3,000 worth of counterfeit cash.

SDC 7.png
Australian counterfeit banknotes are being sold for a cheaper price on the internet. Image source: krakenimages.com on Freepik.

It's important to remember that knowingly possessing counterfeit notes is a criminal offence.

Furthermore, victims who unwittingly end up with these fake notes in their wallets or tills will not be reimbursed.

The Reserve Bank of Australia (RBA) has reported that counterfeiting has been on the decline since peaking in 2015.

However, Australian business owners are still feeling the financial sting of counterfeit cash.

A South Australian supermarket, for instance, discovered a fake $50 note in its till on December 30.

The advertisements for counterfeit cash could also have a more sinister motive: scamming vulnerable Australians.

Those looking for a quick fix to their financial woes could be tricked into transferring money to scammers under the guise of purchasing counterfeit cash.

The social media advertisements also boasted that their cash would pass testing and wouldn't be rejected by poker machines.

However, some fake cash is easier to spot than others, with some notes being printed on paper or featuring odd designs.

The RBA has stated that it cannot verify whether the images used in these online advertisements are legitimate or fake.

A reverse Google image search revealed that some of the pictures were taken from police investigations into alleged drug dealing.

The central bank, which produces banknotes in Australia, advises the public to check the security features of any cash they receive if they have concerns about its authenticity.

'If they still have concerns, suspect counterfeit banknotes can be submitted to the Australian Federal Police for expert examination,' a spokesperson said.

'If the notes are deemed genuine, they will be returned with written confirmation stating as such.'

The AFP has warned that crimes associated with the possession or use of counterfeit money can result in a fine of up to $2,000 or 12 years in prison.

'We remind the public to be aware of security features that are present on all genuine Australian banknotes and help to determine if it is real currency,' a spokesperson from the AFP said.

'Australian currency is also made from more durable materials—specifically, polymer—compared to paper-based currencies, which is what counterfeit notes are mainly made of.'

Sarah Megginson, a Personal Finance Expert at Finder, advised Australians not to resort to counterfeit money.

'Using counterfeit cash is a serious crime that can lead to legal consequences,' she said.

'There are so many other steps you can take before resorting to such dire measures.'

She suggested contacting billers to access hardship programs.

'They might be able to set up payment plans, waive some fees or enter you into a repayment holiday.'

For those needing free financial counselling, the National Debt Helpline is available at 1800 007 007. They can assist with restructuring debts and even applying for debt forgiveness.

If you're concerned about the authenticity of a note, you have the right to refuse it.

The RBA recommends comparing a suspect note to a genuine one and checking for differences.

Below are the things to look out for in spotting counterfeit money:

erAw9Yfl3zmzcjpYekiHEHIc-9yxI8M3mWfabdEOjkT6u1zNvVfcZUXS_n73Pr06AHWRdxAtX205DlOVjb07njHBBdonKtphP3oMuP8xV8ALLewczIVHRbZOMVqSU34cjWaiUV6XFhFLTH21vS-Ju3A

Counterfeit money undermines the trust in our currency and can lead to inflation if left unchecked. It's not just a problem for the individual who ends up with a fake note in their wallet but for the entire economy.

Furthermore, the rise of counterfeit money being sold online highlights the importance of being vigilant when conducting transactions, particularly those involving cash. It's crucial to familiarise yourself with the security features of Australian banknotes, such as the clear window, micro printing, and the distinctive feel of the polymer notes.
Key Takeaways
  • Counterfeit banknotes are being advertised online, with claims they could successfully be passed off in leading supermarkets like Coles and Woolworths.
  • Possessing or using counterfeit money is a serious offence in Australia, with penalties including fines and imprisonment.
  • The Reserve Bank of Australia provides guidance on identifying counterfeit notes by checking security features, and the Australian Federal Police are monitoring the situation.
  • Financial experts advise against using counterfeit cash and suggest contacting billers for hardship programs or seeking free financial counselling through services like the National Debt Helpline.
Have you ever seen counterfeit money being sold online? Share your experiences and tips for spotting fake notes in the comments below.

Sponsored
And, of course, the bank would jib like a frightened horse if you fronted with a fake fifty and asked to be reimbursed. I wonder how long it would take to see the manager?
That actually happened to me at the NAB Crows Nest NSW in 1995, back when the $100 was grey, printed on paper. I withdrew $2000, and as is my habit, I counted it out in front of the Teller after he had counted it out to me. I found what he had missed; one of the notes was bogus. He already had the sh*ts with me because I was holding up the queue, and he got them doubly so when I said, very loud and clear "GET YOUR MANAGER OUT HERE, NOW!".
I got my dud one replaced with a real one. I'd have had no chance whatsoever if I'd first moved away from the counter.

I was in possession of an old paper $20 note that was used by the banks when training their tellers. It was slightly smaller, had slightly different designs and a very faint "SPECIMEN" printed diagonally across both sides of the note.

Fooled quite a few shopkeepers and bar staff with it over the years, but always informed them it was fake and subsequently used real money.

They wouldn't be in use anymore as the bank teller is an endangered species!

That actually happened to me at the NAB Crows Nest NSW in 1995, back when the $100 was grey, printed on paper. I withdrew $2000, and as is my habit, I counted it out in front of the Teller after he had counted it out to me. I found what he had missed; one of the notes was bogus. He already had the sh*ts with me because I was holding up the queue, and he got them doubly so when I said, very loud and clear "GET YOUR MANAGER OUT HERE, NOW!".
I got my dud one replaced with a real one. I'd have had no chance whatsoever if I'd first moved away from the counter.
Onya, mate!

I think it's wrong to make holders of fake notes not to be able to hand them in and receive a genuine note back. This will only make people and shops reluctant to hand over fake notes to take them out of circulation. Some people will miss that $50 or $100 amount being scammed from them.

Not sure why SDC is promoting a story on a scam. The guts of the story is about buying fake money and paying by crypto. Not a real NEWS.

Reactions: maherdj
Don't mean to be flippant but I'm less and less concerned over counterfeit money - we'll all be using cards for everything soon, right?

I think it's wrong to make holders of fake notes not to be able to hand them in and receive a genuine note back. This will only make people and shops reluctant to hand over fake notes to take them out of circulation. Some people will miss that $50 or $100 amount being scammed from them.
Unfortunately, a fake no matter who holds them ….looses be they a Bank, a person or a Trader.

Oh, OK, let's see, now: three thousand smackeroos for three hunnert, plus you pay in cryptocrap.
Sounds almost totally legit, doesn't it?

Or such as the Dandenong Bendigo Bank branch who lock their doors from 1 pm to 2 pm for damn lunch FFS!
It's called "service", don't you know? When we got scammed, all the transacrions disappeared overseas in an instant via the Bendigo Bank. Didn't need a lunch hour for that.