SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
Sethia Soliman

Sethia Soliman

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2022
BEWARE: Kmart shoppers warned about new $3 Philips air fryer scam

Heartless cybercriminals are only coming up with more sophisticated ways to manipulate vulnerable Australians as the days pass. So it’s best to keep an eye out for deals that are too good to be true – even if they are seemingly sold by a genuine retailer.

Kmart shoppers have been urged to steer clear of a new elaborate scam targeting bargain hunters. Several fake Facebook posts have been making the rounds on social media pages in Australia, claiming that shoppers can score a Philips 4.1L air fryer for only $3.

The posts include a fabricated image of an air fryer display at one Kmart store with a price tag sitting in front of it, flaunting an incredibly low price.

The particular air fryer featured in the posts typically costs $199. The scammers made sense of the low price by claiming that it was due to the closure of Philips’ overseas warehouses, manipulating several users to fall for the false deal.

DALL·E 2022-08-16 10.46.28 - Evil looking air fryer, digital art.png
Look out for the air fryer scam! Source: OpenAI

‘Due to the closure of their warehouses with household goods in Russia. Philips is holding a mega sale on the goods and Philips Air Fryer is one of them. The promotional price will only be available until August 15.’ the caption on the scam post reads.

‘Hurry up, the freebie will end soon!’

A concerned shopper shared the news of the scam on a popular Kmart Facebook group, urging Australians to be wary.

‘Just saw this, please tell your friends and family to be careful,’ she wrote.

‘I know many will look at this photo and see it’s a scam, but there are many people with disabilities as well as the elderly who aren’t as savvy.’

Heartbreakingly, some confessed to falling for the scam.

‘I fell for it and lost $500 - I pray others don’t do the same,’ said one.

Another said: ‘My elderly mum fell for it, she sent it to me last night. I am now on the phone with the bank trying to help her.’

Y0cpayB4UsR2Nh_riTERWZLljBkzHdfHJ53DU86ELaOZzLGzYzVWrCWXgcgCLqBNcKHc6jHLtC4_9DYkb5shCrZ7Lc-dDCF_fm4GQ1b8Bg-X7uOTqRmWVfAy8wmFxUHABTPygFOyreqmcQ3ZGl4lAGc

The scammer’s posts featured an air fryer for $3. Source: 7News

It’s believed that once shoppers sign up to get the $3 air fryer, the criminals then use their credit card details to make unauthorised payments. To make matters worse, dozens of social media users are encouraging others to take the deal in one of the scammers’ Facebook posts.

‘Thought that it was not the original, some kind of fake,’ said one. ‘But after I printed it out, I was pleasantly surprised. It is the original! I advise everyone to take part in the promotion. I went to cook my husband dinner!’

But this isn’t the first time a genuine retailer was used to make a scam look more convincing. In recent months, Australians have been notified about similar scams involving Kmart and ALDI products.

In July, fraudsters targeted Kmart fans by offering Nintendo consoles for a dirt-cheap price of $2.95. Only a few weeks later, ALDI customers were faced with a sophisticated scam that claimed to give away LG flat-screen televisions for free.

Thousands of Australians fell for both of the scams, prompting other social media users to raise awareness about it.

‘This is a scam. Granted it’s a sophisticated and very convincing scam - but it’s still a scam,’ one user said.

The ACCC’s Scamwatch explained that phishing scams–such as the air fryer promotion–work by tricking shoppers into believing they are dealing with a genuine retailer.

‘Phishing messages are designed to look genuine, and often copy the format used by the organisation that the scammer is pretending to represent, including their branding and logo,’ it said.

jhoxmzxGgPDYy446i4_vJDZvhWhYy9U_S-bXD7jtiShgySi7LlFo0vrwLl8Q8G5lqUR8IjFLuaEuHWO4uzKxC6di2xbqwlICZo9Nnx-MCiwioO6gqTqMZbP7vqCuSoidWTTtuP-cSNts_oDelXM4nzo

Look out for easy-to-miss details. Source: Ophtek

‘They will take you to a fake website that looks like the real deal but has a slightly different address. For example, if the legitimate site is ‘www.realbank.com.au’, the scammer may use an address like “www.reallbank.com”.’

‘If you provide the scammer with your details online or over the phone, they will use them to carry out fraudulent activities, such as using your credit cards and stealing your money.’ they continued.

Let’s all work together to take down cybercriminals and their cruel tactics. If you ever stumble across a dodgy post on social media, please report it to Scamwatch here. We also have an e-Book about Cyber Safety that you can check out here.

Do you know anyone who has been a victim of a scam? Share with us in the comments below so others can avoid the same fate.

Learn more about phishing scams by watching the video below:

Source: IDG TECHtalk

Last edited:
These scumbags targeting the less able and aware should be dealt with. I have a solution, it wouldn't be pretty but there wouldn't be any repeat offenders. It makes me so mad that we seem to be totally incapable of stopping this type of behavior.:mad::mad::mad::mad:

there are a lot of scams on Face Book marketplace offering items for a very low price or free so you have to be very careful, these are usually under the "Promotion" adds in Marketplace....

Unfortunately I have fallen for the airfryer deal, but fortunately only lost about $100 before I realised and cancelled my card. Forgot my rule about if I can't use PayPal don't buy. Angry at myself because I should have known better. Lesson learnt. If it sounds too good to be true it probably is.

These scumbags targeting the less able and aware should be dealt with. I have a solution, it wouldn't be pretty but there wouldn't be any repeat offenders. It makes me so mad that we seem to be totally incapable of stopping this type of behavior.:mad::mad::mad::mad:
Agree I still think IT Companies, should do more to protect, users of their Sites.

Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci
I have had several emails from Norton saying my renewal is over due but I paid it and is “ pending “ in my account has anyone got any ideas how to contact them ?

• Sad
If it seems to good to be true it probably is…

I have had several emails from Norton saying my renewal is over due but I paid it and is “ pending “ in my account has anyone got any ideas how to contact them ?
I receive emails from Norton everyday about “my account”, but I don’t even have an account with them 🤷🏻‍♀️ Maybe google will take you to their website. Just saying, I don’t even know if they have a website 😔

Heartless cybercriminals are only coming up with more sophisticated ways to manipulate vulnerable Australians as the days pass. So it’s best to keep an eye out for deals that are too good to be true – even if they are seemingly sold by a genuine retailer.

Kmart shoppers have been urged to steer clear of a new elaborate scam targeting bargain hunters. Several fake Facebook posts have been making the rounds on social media pages in Australia, claiming that shoppers can score a Philips 4.1L air fryer for only $3.

The posts include a fabricated image of an air fryer display at one Kmart store with a price tag sitting in front of it, flaunting an incredibly low price.

The particular air fryer featured in the posts typically costs $199. The scammers made sense of the low price by claiming that it was due to the closure of Philips’ overseas warehouses, manipulating several users to fall for the false deal.

View attachment 5217

‘Due to the closure of their warehouses with household goods in Russia. Philips is holding a mega sale on the goods and Philips Air Fryer is one of them. The promotional price will only be available until August 15.’ the caption on the scam post reads.

A concerned shopper shared the news of the scam on a popular Kmart Facebook group, urging Australians to be wary.

‘I know many will look at this photo and see it’s a scam, but there are many people with disabilities as well as the elderly who aren’t as savvy.’

Another said: ‘My elderly mum fell for it, she sent it to me last night. I am now on the phone with the bank trying to help her.’

Y0cpayB4UsR2Nh_riTERWZLljBkzHdfHJ53DU86ELaOZzLGzYzVWrCWXgcgCLqBNcKHc6jHLtC4_9DYkb5shCrZ7Lc-dDCF_fm4GQ1b8Bg-X7uOTqRmWVfAy8wmFxUHABTPygFOyreqmcQ3ZGl4lAGc

It’s believed that once shoppers sign up to get the $3 air fryer, the criminals then use their credit card details to make unauthorised payments. To make matters worse, dozens of social media users are encouraging others to take the deal in one of the scammers’ Facebook posts.

‘Thought that it was not the original, some kind of fake,’ said one. ‘But after I printed it out, I was pleasantly surprised. It is the original! I advise everyone to take part in the promotion. I went to cook my husband dinner!’

But this isn’t the first time a genuine retailer was used to make a scam look more convincing. In recent months, Australians have been notified about similar scams involving Kmart and ALDI products.

In July, fraudsters targeted Kmart fans by offering Nintendo consoles for a dirt-cheap price of $2.95. Only a few weeks later, ALDI customers were faced with a sophisticated scam that claimed to give away LG flat-screen televisions for free.

Thousands of Australians fell for both of the scams, prompting other social media users to raise awareness about it.

‘This is a scam. Granted it’s a sophisticated and very convincing scam - but it’s still a scam,’ one user said.

The ACCC’s Scamwatch explained that phishing scams–such as the air fryer promotion–work by tricking shoppers into believing they are dealing with a genuine retailer.

‘Phishing messages are designed to look genuine, and often copy the format used by the organisation that the scammer is pretending to represent, including their branding and logo,’ it said.

jhoxmzxGgPDYy446i4_vJDZvhWhYy9U_S-bXD7jtiShgySi7LlFo0vrwLl8Q8G5lqUR8IjFLuaEuHWO4uzKxC6di2xbqwlICZo9Nnx-MCiwioO6gqTqMZbP7vqCuSoidWTTtuP-cSNts_oDelXM4nzo

‘They will take you to a fake website that looks like the real deal but has a slightly different address. For example, if the legitimate site is ‘www.realbank.com.au’, the scammer may use an address like “www.reallbank.com”.’

‘If you provide the scammer with your details online or over the phone, they will use them to carry out fraudulent activities, such as using your credit cards and stealing your money.’ they continued.

Let’s all work together to take down cybercriminals and their cruel tactics. If you ever stumble across a dodgy post on social media, please report it to Scamwatch here. We also have an e-Book about Cyber Safety that you can check out here.

Do you know anyone who has been a victim of a scam? Share with us in the comments below so others can avoid the same fate.

As the saying goes "anything that seems to be too good to be true, usually is".....I never respond when I see these pop up online.

Even using PayPal doesn't protect you! I placed an order from an online site that I saw on Facebook. Before I ordered, I went online & googled their name to see if any scams etc had been reported, & found nothing. So, feeling confident that I was "protected" by PayPal, I placed my order. I received a tracking number & updates on my parcel's progress from USA. Then, after my parcel had "arrived at Brisbane airport", (I live in Vic,) there were no further updates. I emailed them many times, but received no reply. (The tracking number did not exist anywhere!) I then contacted PayPal. They got back to me & told me that they were given a different tracking number by the company, which proved that my parcel had left China & had been delivered "to Australia" - Case Closed! They refused to help me any further & I lost nearly $100 right before Christmas!

I receive emails from Norton everyday about “my account”, but I don’t even have an account with them 🤷🏻‍♀️ Maybe google will take you to their website. Just saying, I don’t even know if they have a website

Reactions: Ricci
Contact your bank and have all your details ready including dates you made payments and ask them to reverse any other payments as you believe you are being scammed, I too am getting message saying My norton has expired and we do not even use it on our computer.
Even using PayPal doesn't protect you! I placed an order from an online site that I saw on Facebook. Before I ordered, I went online & googled their name to see if any scams etc had been reported, & found nothing. So, feeling confident that I was "protected" by PayPal, I placed my order. I received a tracking number & updates on my parcel's progress from USA. Then, after my parcel had "arrived at Brisbane airport", (I live in Vic,) there were no further updates. I emailed them many times, but received no reply. (The tracking number did not exist anywhere!) I then contacted PayPal. They got back to me & told me that they were given a different tracking number by the company, which proved that my parcel had left China & had been delivered "to Australia" - Case Closed! They refused to help me any further & I lost nearly $100 right before Christmas!
I haad the same thing happen to me, parcel left china and arrived at melbourne and disappeared never to be seen again, only I paid the company direct and the company returned my money and said they would follow it up so at least I got my money back.

View attachment 5217

I was scammed of close to $3K yesterday from people supposedly from Microsoft. Background screen looked like the real deal and they had frozen my computer. Message said to call a certain number and they would talk me through fixing the problem. Instead of helping me, they helped themselves. I had only got out of hospital the afternoon before so wasn't myself. If I had been, they wouldn't have been able to bully me the way they did. Be extra vigilant, these scammers are getting better every day and they don't care how little you actually have in the bank. They'll clear you out if they can.

• Sad
Reactions: Ezzy and SandyM
Contact your bank and have all your details ready including dates you made payments and ask them to reverse any other payments as you believe you are being scammed, I too am getting message saying My norton has expired and we do not even use it on our computer.

I haad the same thing happen to me, parcel left china and arrived at melbourne and disappeared never to be seen again, only I paid the company direct and the company returned my money and said they would follow it up so at least I got my money back.
I had a similar experience with Pay Pal. My account was hacked and when I received notification from them regarding a payment of $350 to some company I had no knowledge of, I told them that I hadn't authorized it. They let the payment go through anyway. I contacted my bank and they got the money back for me and put a bar on my account for any withdrawals coming through Pay Pal. Needless to say, I cancelled my account and have not used them since.

If people see these scams online, then they are online savy (on some level). It would be near impossible for anyone online or who watches tv or who listens to radio to not know about the rampant scams. So they just have to stop living in the clouds and smarten up. Greed is a dangerous thing and that's people's motivation on the 'too good to be true' deals. They simply have to stop and think and search for the scam online...they're all there to read about.

Reactions: Ricci