SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
J

James Gutierrez

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 11, 2021
BEWARE: Facebook Marketplace almost cost this woman her life

There's not much we love more than a good bargain (who doesn't, really?), whether we're scoring a sweet deal on groceries or picking up some new clothes for next to nothing.

And in recent years, one of the best places to find these amazing bargains has been Facebook Marketplace.

For those of you who don't know, Marketplace is a platform on Facebook where people can buy and sell items with each other locally. It's like Gumtree, but it's way easier to use because it's already integrated into Facebook. You don't even need to leave the site!

But as convenient and cost-effective as Marketplace can be, there is also a darker side to it that we need to be aware of. Just like any online platform that facilitates transactions between strangers, there is always the potential for scams and fraud.

Screen Shot 2022-10-28 at 11.39.56 AM.png
One woman's recent Facebook Marketplace transaction nearly resulted in her being a victim of human trafficking. Credit: news.com.au.

Case in point: the story of Mallie Taylor, a photographer from Canberra who had a very close call with alleged trafficking while trying to sell some items on Marketplace.

Ms Taylor was trying to get rid of some autumn and winter decor using the platform when she started chatting with one potential buyer who really rubbed her the wrong way.

Despite her listing specifying that the items were 'pick up only', this woman – who claimed to be a mum of two young children – persistently asked if they could meet somewhere 'more convenient' instead.

Screenshots of their exchange were shared to show how insistent this buyer was, despite being told multiple times that pick-up was the only option. At one point, she even offered $5 for delivery!

Screen Shot 2022-10-28 at 11.39.42 AM.png
The potential buyer insisted on meeting Ms Taylor at a 'more convenient' location. Credit: Google Maps.

During their exchange, the potential buyer would also constantly change her mind. 'I will come; please keep the items for me,' the mum begged in one message to Ms Taylor, and in another, she said: 'I'm not coming…'

About two hours later, though, the mum decided to change her mind again, this time saying she was already on her way, asking for Ms Taylor's phone in advance because they have no internet access.

She also said that they should meet at a distant bus stop because she was 'dropping off her kids' there.

Thankfully, Ms Taylor was not the least bit convinced by the woman's story and stood firm, telling her that she would not be going to the location in question.

Ms Taylor reminded her that if she was serious about buying the items, she would have to pick them up at the agreed-upon place, where Ms Taylor's coworkers would be waiting to see her.

At the last minute, the mother decided not to go through with the deal because one of her children started 'crying', and she said she couldn't leave her child.

Screen Shot 2022-10-28 at 11.39.35 AM.png
The buyer did not follow through with the deal because her child was allegedly crying. Credit: news.com.au.

Later, Ms Taylor wrote about her experience on social media with other Marketplace users, and she was promptly warned that the woman's actions were typical of those used in human trafficking.

'Once it was pointed out to me by multiple people that this was a known method of human traffickers, I felt sick to my stomach,' she said.

'I was so glad that I held my ground in making the items pick up only because I had my co-workers there. Coming that close to such a dangerous situation makes you second guess how safe you actually are.'

Ms Taylor said she is now more careful than ever about who she interacts with on Marketplace after what happened to her.

'I am now wary of posting anything on Marketplace, and if I were to come across this again, I would know immediately not to entertain whoever is on the other end of the messages,' she said.
Key Takeaways

• A woman's ordeal with a potential buyer on Facebook Marketplace has sparked a warning about the dangers of online marketplaces.
  • The potential buyer persistently asked to meet the woman in a 'more convenient' location, which is a sign of trafficking. The seller remained firm on her pick-up-only policy and eventually, the potential buyer gave up.
  • Since the incident, the seller has been extra vigilant about who she deals with on Marketplace.
Let this act as a fair warning to all active users on Facebook Marketplace! We all know about the risks of using social media for our transactions, and it is clear that we still have to be wary of them.
Tip
Here are some ways to keep yourself safe when dealing with sellers on sites like Facebook Marketplace:
  • Meet in a public place. Don't go to the person's house or invite them to yours.
  • Bring a friend with you.
  • Inspect the item carefully before you buy it.
  • Pay with a credit card or PayPal so you can dispute the charges if something goes wrong.
  • Don't buy anything that seems too good to be true.
Members, we hope the story will make you more cautious in future transactions. What are your thoughts on it? Share them with us in the comments! Please feel free to send along any useful tips and advice as well.

I am always cautious. My daughter has someone coming from Sydney to Raymond Terrace today to buy her car and I told her to be very careful. My other daughter and her husband are coming over so she won’t be alone. The man deposited $100 in her account and I said he has your bank details now I hope he doesn’t rob you. She got straight onto her bank and moved her money into her second account. She had he ID stolen a year ago and the thieves tried buying phones and iPads in her name from Optus,only she noticed and they got caught by the police in a Sydney store. She has credit protection now but it doesn’t hurt to be extra careful.

Meeting in a public place and expecting to be able to pay by credit card or Paypal is quite unrealistic. That would mean paying in advance before meeting.. not on! or paying with cash, depending on the amount also risky. But I've bought & sold heaps of stuff on ebay and never had a problem over 20 years..

Let's take a step back and employ one ounce of common sense here!! 99% of transactions on market place & ebay are okay. Some are even brilliant (have made new friends this way) some are entertaining (like the lady who bought a coffee maker off me but bought it back to have lessons)and some aren't enjoyable experiences (like the woman who, when picking up a stack of free styroform boxes, tore all the packing tape off them & left that mess in my carport). I sell & buy on both platforms constantly - as do many of my family, friends, work mates and acquaintances. No one I know has ever experienced anything worse than an annoying buyer - just like the one described - not turning up ..... which is simply because the buyer is a time waster & a bit of a dill !!

That, to quote: 'Ms Taylor wrote about her experience on social media (key point) with other Marketplace users (key point!) and she was promptly warned (another key point!) that the woman's actions were typical of those used in human trafficking and then this woman 'came to the conclusion': Once it was pointed out to me by multiple people that this was a known method of human traffickers, I felt sick to my stomach' ......

Seriously? Really?? No, that is simply ridiculous conjecture and alarmist bulldust by any stretch of the imagination - especially here in Australia! Being sensible and alert is very important but this type of rubbish ? We do NOT need to live in fear of everyone and everything & most of us will not live long enough to make all the mistakes we are constantly being warned about these days.

Let's take a step back and employ one ounce of common sense here!! 99% of transactions on market place & ebay are okay. Some are even brilliant (have made new friends this way) some are entertaining (like the lady who bought a coffee maker off me but bought it back to have lessons)and some aren't enjoyable experiences (like the woman who, when picking up a stack of free styroform boxes, tore all the packing tape off them & left that mess in my carport). I sell & buy on both platforms constantly - as do many of my family, friends, work mates and acquaintances. No one I know has ever experienced anything worse than an annoying buyer - just like the one described - not turning up ..... which is simply because the buyer is a time waster & a bit of a dill !!

That, to quote: 'Ms Taylor wrote about her experience on social media (key point) with other Marketplace users (key point!) and she was promptly warned (another key point!) that the woman's actions were typical of those used in human trafficking and then this woman 'came to the conclusion': Once it was pointed out to me by multiple people that this was a known method of human traffickers, I felt sick to my stomach' ......

Seriously? Really?? No, that is simply ridiculous conjecture and alarmist bulldust by any stretch of the imagination - especially here in Australia! Being sensible and alert is very important but this type of rubbish ? We do NOT need to live in fear of everyone and everything & most of us will not live long enough to make all the mistakes we are constantly being warned about these days.
Hear, hear!

Reactions: Ezzy
I use a bank account with $50 in it when I have to give out bank details so if it is a scam, that is all I lose. I was just contacted by a person saying they wanted to buy our camper and to contact them via a private email. I wrote back and said "Have been instructed by Gumtree to only do transactions through their portal so if you are interested in this van, please only contact me via this if you wish to purchase." Funny that, no more contact. Yes, always have someone with you. When we sold our car, I asked them for their licence, went and copied it, gave them back their licence and my husband went with them. I also asked them to see the registration papers for the car that they arrived in and also would they leave those keys for me until they returned. No problem and yes they bought the car.

Reactions: Ezzy