Beware: Deceptive egg scam invades Aussie Facebook groups

Social media has become a hotbed for small businesses to thrive, from Facebook Marketplace to local community buy-and-sell groups. After all, who doesn’t love the convenience of locally sourced, artisanal products delivered straight to your doorstep? It's a win-win situation, right?

Unfortunately, as we've discovered, nefarious individuals are always looking to exploit goodwill for their dirty deeds.

So let’s explore one example of an increasingly common scam involving fresh eggs that target unsuspecting Australians. Stay vigilant, members, because it's no 'yolk'!

Hanna Mouhetta is a Brisbane mum who shared her experience after falling victim to this devious scam. Having recently given birth, she juggled the demands of parenthood while maintaining a healthy diet. During one of her Facebook scrolls, she came across a post from a 'local farmer' named Esther Williams, who appeared to be selling free-range eggs.

‘Our fresh farm Eggs are usually 6$ for a Dozen but we have too many & it’s a weekday, so sale time!’ the post said. ‘If interested just pm (private message) me to make your order.’

Screenshot 2023-08-04 083802.png
Hanna Mouhetta has fallen victim to an egg scam on Facebook. Credit: Daniel Ryan/Facebook

According to Hanna, this seemed perfect timing. 'I thought, “Okay, great. I don't need to get out ... that saves me some time,”’ she said. Williams claimed to have a surplus of chicken, duck, and goose eggs and was selling them for enticingly lower prices.

Communicating via Facebook's direct messaging system, Hanna ordered two dozen eggs. Williams even convinced her to purchase the last three dozen.

She provided her PayPal details and asked Hanna for payment using the 'send to a friend' option.

Sadly, this was the first indication of foul play. But with the demand of a newborn clouding her judgment, Hanna didn't think twice and transferred $13.50.

Then, as the saying goes, the hen flew coop. Our intrepid scammer disappeared with Hanna’s money, and the promise of fresh eggs was no more than an empty shell.

'It's a little bit shameful because I'm a chartered accountant, and I should know better with that stuff,' Mouhetta said, underlining that even the savviest among us can be hoodwinked.

The case of Hanna is not isolated. Similar scams, including the same egg gag, have been found in various neighbourhood groups in the US, Canada, and other parts of Australia. Exactly how widespread this scam is across Facebook–which boasts about 3 billion active users–remains unknown as the social media platform chose not to respond to requests for comment.

Hanna also claimed PayPal nonchalantly handled her case, underscoring that even trusted platforms can sometimes fail to deliver. For their part, PayPal says they place a premium on customer security.

‘We encourage customers to be mindful when transacting, particularly with someone they don't know,’ a spokesperson said.

‘We also recommend ensuring that goods or services transactions are marked clearly as a purchase.’

PayPal's buyer protection is only available when purchases are made through the 'goods and services' feature, not the 'friends and family' transfer function.

Key Takeaways
  • A Brisbane mum fell for an egg scam on Facebook, losing $13.50 to a person claiming to be a farmer with a surplus of eggs for sale.
  • The scammer, using the name 'Esther Williams', asked for payment through the 'sending to a friend' option on PayPal, which should've raised suspicion.
  • The same scam had been identified in various neighbourhood groups across the US, Canada and Australia.
  • Despite Hanna Mouhetta’s multiple complaints, PayPal has allegedly shown disinterest in investigating and has refused to refund the money, emphasising that their buyer protection is only available when purchases are made through the 'goods and services' feature.

This digital-era egg scam serves as a reminder to be careful when making online purchases, especially from unfamiliar sellers. And if you crack an egg of deceit, don’t blame yourself. Remember, scammers go to great lengths to make their schemes believable.

Let’s keep our wits about us, dear members! Check twice before you click 'Pay'. Let this be our new mantra: 'Check twice, pay once'! If something appears fishy, or in this case, 'eggy', it just might be so!

Have you come across this scam on Facebook? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
Social media has become a hotbed for small businesses to thrive, from Facebook Marketplace to local community buy-and-sell groups. After all, who doesn’t love the convenience of locally sourced, artisanal products delivered straight to your doorstep? It's a win-win situation, right?

Unfortunately, as we've discovered, nefarious individuals are always looking to exploit goodwill for their dirty deeds.

So let’s explore one example of an increasingly common scam involving fresh eggs that target unsuspecting Australians. Stay vigilant, members, because it's no 'yolk'!

Hanna Mouhetta is a Brisbane mum who shared her experience after falling victim to this devious scam. Having recently given birth, she juggled the demands of parenthood while maintaining a healthy diet. During one of her Facebook scrolls, she came across a post from a 'local farmer' named Esther Williams, who appeared to be selling free-range eggs.

‘Our fresh farm Eggs are usually 6$ for a Dozen but we have too many & it’s a weekday, so sale time!’ the post said. ‘If interested just pm (private message) me to make your order.’

View attachment 26657
Hanna Mouhetta has fallen victim to an egg scam on Facebook. Credit: Daniel Ryan/Facebook

According to Hanna, this seemed perfect timing. 'I thought, “Okay, great. I don't need to get out ... that saves me some time,”’ she said. Williams claimed to have a surplus of chicken, duck, and goose eggs and was selling them for enticingly lower prices.

Communicating via Facebook's direct messaging system, Hanna ordered two dozen eggs. Williams even convinced her to purchase the last three dozen.

She provided her PayPal details and asked Hanna for payment using the 'send to a friend' option.

Sadly, this was the first indication of foul play. But with the demand of a newborn clouding her judgment, Hanna didn't think twice and transferred $13.50.

Then, as the saying goes, the hen flew coop. Our intrepid scammer disappeared with Hanna’s money, and the promise of fresh eggs was no more than an empty shell.

'It's a little bit shameful because I'm a chartered accountant, and I should know better with that stuff,' Mouhetta said, underlining that even the savviest among us can be hoodwinked.

The case of Hanna is not isolated. Similar scams, including the same egg gag, have been found in various neighbourhood groups in the US, Canada, and other parts of Australia. Exactly how widespread this scam is across Facebook–which boasts about 3 billion active users–remains unknown as the social media platform chose not to respond to requests for comment.

Hanna also claimed PayPal nonchalantly handled her case, underscoring that even trusted platforms can sometimes fail to deliver. For their part, PayPal says they place a premium on customer security.

‘We encourage customers to be mindful when transacting, particularly with someone they don't know,’ a spokesperson said.

‘We also recommend ensuring that goods or services transactions are marked clearly as a purchase.’

PayPal's buyer protection is only available when purchases are made through the 'goods and services' feature, not the 'friends and family' transfer function.

Key Takeaways

• A Brisbane mum fell for an egg scam on Facebook, losing $13.50 to a person claiming to be a farmer with a surplus of eggs for sale.
  • The scammer, using the name 'Esther Williams', asked for payment through the 'sending to a friend' option on PayPal, which should've raised suspicion.
  • The same scam had been identified in various neighbourhood groups across the US, Canada and Australia.
  • Despite Hanna Mouhetta’s multiple complaints, PayPal has allegedly shown disinterest in investigating and has refused to refund the money, emphasising that their buyer protection is only available when purchases are made through the 'goods and services' feature.

This digital-era egg scam serves as a reminder to be careful when making online purchases, especially from unfamiliar sellers. And if you crack an egg of deceit, don’t blame yourself. Remember, scammers go to great lengths to make their schemes believable.

Let’s keep our wits about us, dear members! Check twice before you click 'Pay'. Let this be our new mantra: 'Check twice, pay once'! If something appears fishy, or in this case, 'eggy', it just might be so!

Bull

View attachment 26657

Key Takeaways

I have seen this egg sales post on Marketplace myself!

I think that FB should take some responsibility for the Ads that it displays - and gets paid to do it! It gets a lot of revenue for advertising these scammers. It has the ability to vet these companies and has a duty to to take steps to stop its users from being scammed by companies that are paying FB to advertise their non-existent products.

View attachment 26657

Key Takeaways

Not the egg one, but I have seen this scam on FB a lot.....
No special tools are required to cash out a cloned card, all you gotta do is purchase an active cloned card from us and follow the instructions in the manual we give you

Withdrawal limits for ATM Dump with PIN cloned Card is $500 after 2hours. You'll cash out till da funds cast

You can always withdraw more bread from the same machine or different ATM machines around you until the bank reaches the ATM withdrawal limit.
Yolly’s menu Aussie
Yolly’s menu Aussie
How The Cloned Cards Work

Step 1: Insert ATM Card.

Step 2: Select the Language.

Step 3: Enter 4 Digit ATM Pin.

Step 4: Select Your Transaction.

Step 5: Select Your Account.

Step 6: Enter the Withdrawal Money(withdraw $500 every after 2 hours)

Step 7: Collect the Cash.

Step 8: Take a Printed Receipt.
You sent
Low Balance

$150 for balance $2k
$200 for balance $3k
$350 for balance $4k
$450 for balance $5k
$500 for balance $6k

High Balance

$1k for balance $10k
$2k for balance $20k
$4k for balance $40k
$5k for balance $50k

I buy from country people on Facebook with their platform "One Day Closer to Rain" and "Buy from the Bush" and never had a problem, I hope, yet. I like supporting country people in their endeavours.