SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
Sethia Soliman

Sethia Soliman

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2022
BEWARE: Aldi shoppers urged to be wary of new LG television scam

Even in the midst of an economic crisis, several heartless fraudsters are only coming up with more ways to manipulate and steal from innocent Facebook users. Recently, Aldi shoppers have been warned of yet another ‘convincing’ supermarket scam making the rounds on social media.

It’s disguised as a Facebook post, telling users that they can pick up a free LG television by following a few, simple steps. The post includes images of the big screen TVs stored in a warehouse, as well as one showing employees of the supermarket standing in front of a store.

To make sense of the bargain, the post claimed that the TVs were damaged during transit. However, none of the information written was true.

“Hundreds of TVs from Aldi broke slightly on their way to our warehouse. All of these televisions are still fully functional but may have minor dents or scratches,” the scam post read.

“Rather than throwing it away, we thought of giving it to people who shared and commented before June 15th. We have four pallets, and the shipment will be delivered the next day.”

SsxNY9oMV_evpXyolSJ_EszrX0ZMlKgQtoW4NJYwpviFQZNzepah9hbKdvJ1Bfljm8awrKnzb2V_imoA3x_IkgPcnwu87xMzzcW_N93lInwJOBsh77a8S5Zw65j51AzGZ5dxi-3iqfcYcjq8sw

The fake Facebook post. Image Credit: 7News

Since the post launched on a fake Facebook page, thousands have fallen victim to the scam. It amassed over 7,000 comments and shares, with more than 2,000 requests from users asking if they could have a shot at getting one of the products for free.

“My mum would love one of these as she is a pensioner,” wrote one.

“What a wonderful thing ALDI is doing. Very thoughtful in this terrible time of everything getting so expensive and no money left for buying ‘luxury items’. Great work, ALDI,” chimed another.

“What a wonderful way to give shoppers a special treat in these hard times,” added a third.

Whenever a user expresses their interest in the comments, the administrators of the fake ALDI page direct them to a website where they are then asked to provide sensitive and personal details.

However, others had a hunch that something was off about the post.

“This is a scam. Granted it’s a sophisticated and very convincing scam - but it’s still a scam,” one announced.

Another asked: “Companies would send the damaged in transit back to the manufacturer to get a full refund, so why would they lose money selling them off cheap?”

“ALDI sells Bauhn brand televisions, people! Their warehouses don’t look like that and they use blue or red pallets for their stock,” pointed out a third.

zbDI83ZRJjk7Clb3Jt0VjhOurc1xcqTZlpR3VTfdVbeQcDq6HADd6zVwYzcQVnkH3YmTCGKfUNULaIvQdILJLu0KTinrTdp148vSBjQsRNr8C7Zl462_b2Pf5v6K6N_ckY6WGprMzQ3-4fD-WA

Beware of scammers! Image Credit: WFLA

The ACCC’s Scamwatch revealed that phishing scams, such as this fake ALDI post, work by manipulating consumers into believing that they’re dealing with a genuine retailer.

“Phishing messages are designed to look genuine, and often copy the format used by the organisation the scammer is pretending to represent, including their branding and logo,” it said.

“They will take you to a fake website that looks like the real deal but has a slightly different address. For example, if the legitimate site is ‘www.realbank.com.au’, the scammer may use an address like ‘www.reallbank.com’.”

“If you provide the scammer with your details online or over the phone, they will use them to carry out fraudulent activities, such as using your credit cards and stealing your money.”

There are several ways you can protect yourself from getting scammed. Among those is by staying aware of the recent scams popping up and being equipped with the knowledge and precautions to take in order to combat them efficiently. We also have a nifty e-Book about Cyber Safety that you can check out here.

If you ever encounter a dodgy post online, you can report them to ACCC here.

Stay safe, everyone! What are your thoughts on this article? Share them with us in the comments.

Know what to look out for and outsmart the scammers by watching the video below:

Video Credit: ACCCgovau

These people are the lowest of the low. When will we see on the news that some of them have been sent to jail for an exceedingly long time? When will the punishment fit (or exceed) the crime. we need to show these scumbags that this type of behavior won't be tolerated.:mad:

Unfortunately, they are out of Australian jurisdiction. There are many good IT people on Youtube identifying and locating these low-life thieving critters and reporting them to the local Police. Not sure "HOW or WHY" they are just left alone, not only to continue but expand and thrive on other people's misery.

I watched Seven news Spotlight on scammers the other night. Very interesting. Can be stopped but corruption on both sides seems to be the problem. As long as there are people who want a good deal, there will be scammers. We just have to educate ourselves to be wary.

Weird.... I read the post and clicked on the links to various information contained in it, then low and behold, I received a scam email only hours later saying I had a MyGov rebate of over $700!! Is Big Brother really watching us :)

• Wow
Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci
I deal with IT all day. What upsets me is, not only do we know where the two huge office complex are in India we have video footage if them scamming people. The Indian government, ours and other countries do nothing. They scam a reported amount of 1.2million a day. That's disgusting

• Angry
Weird.... I read the post and clicked on the links to various information contained in it, then low and behold, I received a scam email only hours later saying I had a MyGov rebate of over $700!! Is Big Brother really watching us :)
You better believe it!! If you want it to stop or at least decrease get off all social media

You better believe it!! If you want it to stop or at least decrease get off all social media
You don't need to go that far, just use a little common sense.
It's like the ANZ scam email, they say they made an error and owed one of my clients $750. They then asked for all his details. full name, address, license number and passport number, which he gave, I asked "what accounts do you have with ANZ?" He replied I don't have any. As I said common sense!

Last edited:
As long as people are greedy or want more and more they ll looose their common sense as soon as they see a perceived "great deal". How many people buy things they dont need or clothes that dont fit just because they re "on special". This just takes it to another level, but peple dont change and scammers will take their chances....