'Best sandwich ever': See why everyone's obsessed with this humble deli shop!

Australia has a bustling food scene, with cafes, restaurants, and even mum-and-pop shops raising the bar for food enthusiasts nationwide.

In the busy streets of Newcastle, a hidden culinary gem recently won the hearts and taste buds of locals and visitors alike.

Italian deli shop Arno Deli became the talk of the town, with food enthusiasts claiming it serves the 'best sandwich' they've ever eaten.

The secret? A perfect blend of authentic Italian flavours, high-quality ingredients, and a passion for the Mediterranean way of life.

As you step through the store's red curtains, diners are greeted by the nostalgic charm of a retro-style deli counter, brimming with an array of Italian cold meats, cheeses, desserts, and wine.

compressed-photo (10).jpeg
Arno Deli’s rotating menu includes classic deli sandwiches, and various options for customers with dietary needs and restrictions. Image Credits: Instagram/Arno Deli

The deli's rotating menu boasts 26 paninis, each crafted with soft, pillowy schiacciata bread.

Fan favourites include the number five—a heavenly combination of mortadella, pistachio cream, stracciatella, and pistachio—and the number seven, which is a savoury delight with prosciutto, finocchiona, provolone, mustard, and mayonnaise.

Each sandwich is a testament to the deli's commitment to quality and authenticity.

For those with dietary restrictions, fret not—Arno Deli also offers a vegetarian menu, gluten-free options.

The in-house-made porchetta and glazed hams are a must-try for those looking to indulge.

Sweet-toothed diners rejoice—the deli also serves decadent cannoli featuring shells imported from Sicily filled with sweet ricotta or crème patisserie.

With a licensed selection of 80 Italian and Australian wines, diners can pair their meals with the perfect glass of vino.

Whether in a rush or having the time to lounge with a grazing board, Arno Deli caters to customers with varied schedules and tastes.

Chef Will O'Brien, the mastermind behind Arno Deli, shared that his love for Italy inspired him to bring the country's rich culinary heritage to Newcastle.

His dedication to replicating the authentic Italian experience is evident in every aspect of the deli, from the ambience to the flavours of every dish.

The community's response has been positive, as seen in several reviews.

'Best sandwich I've had in my life. Borderline a spiritual experience!' exclaimed one five-star reviewer on Google Reviews.

'The tastiest sandwich I've ever had,' another confessed.

'This place has delicious sandwiches on the menu. I tried their slow-cooked beef sandwich once, which was so good (great mix of meat, pickles, and seasoning),' a third wrote.

So, what makes Arno Deli's sandwiches the best in Australia? It combines passion, authenticity, and the joy of sharing a piece of Italy with every customer who walks through the door.

If you find yourself in Newcastle, do yourself a favour and visit the little deli making big waves in the food scene.
Key Takeaways

• Arno Deli in Newcastle is being praised for serving some of the best sandwiches in Australia, with a mix of authentic Italian flavours.
  • The deli offers a rotating menu of 26 paninis made with soft schiacciata bread.
  • The deli also showcases an array of Italian cold meats, cheeses, desserts, and wine.
  • Inspired by his travels in Italy, Arno Deli Chef Will O'Brien aimed to bring the experience to Newcastle, leading to positive reviews.
Have you tried Arno Deli's famous sandwiches? Have you discovered another hidden gem that serves fantastic meals? Share your stories and recommendations in the comments below!

Sponsored
It is a far cry about australians enjoying deli meats whose delis are everywjhere in the cities. Until some small deli starts something else. Wonder what's wrong with oz not being better prepared?

Corned beef? Makes me think of 1960s pensioners with that 1960s pensioner smell. The one I experienced when I walked into an "old person's" house as a kid.

You never forget it! And I can't stand it!
People today don't know how to cut the meat, or what else to use. another one is sweet mustard sauce with battered fish instead of the ubiquitous tomato sauce.

People today don't know how to cut the meat, or what else to use. another one is sweet mustard sauce with battered fish instead of the ubiquitous tomato sauce.
I must agree that tomato sauce is used for too many things. There was even a kid in 5th class who, on a school camp, put tomato sauce on dry corn flakes for breakfast! :sick:

• Wow
Reactions: DLHM