Best Beef Ragu recipe

This is my go to recipe , beef n vegetables cooked in a beautiful sauce , served on top of a bed of pasta or rice or by itself with sides of mashed potato and vegetables.

I think I originally found this recipe in the Coles recipe magazine but made adjustments

9874-images.jpeg-105.jpg
Image Source: Taste

I always cook this in a slow cooker which tenderise the cheapest cut of meat. But stove top is fine.

Ingredients:

• 1.2kg chuck beef or other slow cooking beef cut, cut into small pieces
  • 1 tbsp salt
  • Black pepper
  • 3 tbsp olive oil , separated
  • 3 cloves garlic , minced
  • 1 onion , diced
  • 1 cup carrots , diced
  • 2 stalks of celery , diced
  • 800g crushed canned tomatoes
  • 3 tbsp tomato paste
  • 1 cup of beef stock
  • 1 cup / 250ml red wine , (merlot, cabernet sauvignon), or sub with 1 cup of beef stock, in total you will then use 2 cups of stock
  • 1 1/2 cups / 375 ml water
  • 3/4 tsp dried thyme or 3 sprigs fresh thyme or Rosemary
  • 3 dried bay leaves
Method :
  • Pat beef dry and sprinkle with salt and pepper
  • Heat 1 tbsp olive oil over high heat in a heavy based pot. Add beef and sear each piece aggressively on all sides until very browned (3 - 5 minutes in total), then remove onto a plate.
  • Turn stove down to medium low and add remaining 2 tbsp of olive oil.
  • Add garlic and onion and sauté for 2 minutes. Then add the carrots and celery and sauté slowly for 5 minutes.
  • Add remaining Ragu ingredients and return the beef to the pot (including pooled juices). Turn the stove up and bring it to a simmer, then turn it down to low so it's bubbling very very gently.
  • Slow cook: Cover the pot and let it cook for 2 hours or until beef is tender enough to shred (Note for slow cooker instead of cooking on stove for 2 hours I transfer to a slowcooker and cook on high for 5 hours).
I never shred the meat, my family prefers it left chunky meat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
This is my go to recipe , beef n vegetables cooked in a beautiful sauce , served on top of a bed of pasta or rice or by itself with sides of mashed potato and vegetables.

I think I originally found this recipe in the Coles recipe magazine but made adjustments

View attachment 39579
Image Source: Taste

I always cook this in a slow cooker which tenderise the cheapest cut of meat. But stove top is fine.

Ingredients:

• 1.2kg chuck beef or other slow cooking beef cut, cut into small pieces
  • 1 tbsp salt
  • Black pepper
  • 3 tbsp olive oil , separated
  • 3 cloves garlic , minced
  • 1 onion , diced
  • 1 cup carrots , diced
  • 2 stalks of celery , diced
  • 800g crushed canned tomatoes
  • 3 tbsp tomato paste
  • 1 cup of beef stock
  • 1 cup / 250ml red wine , (merlot, cabernet sauvignon), or sub with 1 cup of beef stock, in total you will then use 2 cups of stock
  • 1 1/2 cups / 375 ml water
  • 3/4 tsp dried thyme or 3 sprigs fresh thyme or Rosemary
  • 3 dried bay leaves
Method :
  • Pat beef dry and sprinkle with salt and pepper
  • Heat 1 tbsp olive oil over high heat in a heavy based pot. Add beef and sear each piece aggressively on all sides until very browned (3 - 5 minutes in total), then remove onto a plate.
  • Turn stove down to medium low and add remaining 2 tbsp of olive oil.
  • Add garlic and onion and sauté for 2 minutes. Then add the carrots and celery and sauté slowly for 5 minutes.
  • Add remaining Ragu ingredients and return the beef to the pot (including pooled juices). Turn the stove up and bring it to a simmer, then turn it down to low so it's bubbling very very gently.
  • Slow cook: Cover the pot and let it cook for 2 hours or until beef is tender enough to shred (Note for slow cooker instead of cooking on stove for 2 hours I transfer to a slowcooker and cook on high for 5 hours).
I never shred the meat, my family prefers it left chunky meat.
Thank you 🙏. I’m going to try this recipe. I love trying new recipes.

Reactions: Suzanne rose