Behind the Scenes of Budget Retailing: Startling Discovery in Smith's Chips Multi-Pack Raises Questions

There’s no denying that we all love a good bargain. When it comes to looking for deals, many savvy shoppers consider ALDI a go-to shopping destination due to its reputation for providing quality products at affordable prices.

But did you know that there's a savvy business strategy behind those wallet-friendly deals?

Thanks to the globalised economy, outsourcing has become a popular method for companies to cut expenses and boost efficiency.

By handing off parts of their operations to external suppliers, businesses can save on labour, materials, and overhead costs.

This is especially true for budget retailers like ALDI, who count on cost-effective production methods to keep prices reasonable for their customers.

Proof of this strategy in action may have been found by an unsuspecting customer who made a startling discovery inside their Smith's chips multi-pack that they purchased from a supermarket that wasn’t ALDI. The shopper did not confirm whether they bought this multi-pack at Coles or Woolworths.

1683613177107.png
One customer shared that they discovered a pack of ALDI brand chips inside a packet of Smith’s chips, speculating that the same company manufactured the products. Credit: Reddit.

‘Smiths scam! I just opened a packet of Smith's original chips and found a pack of ALDI brand chips in there!’ the baffled shopper wrote in their post on Reddit.

'Obviously Smith's also manufacture the ALDI brand, which is significantly cheaper! Is this a thing?!'

Keen social media users were quick to share their own experiences, explaining that outsourcing production is a prevalent practice in the industry.

One user wrote: 'Yes, it's a thing. I used to work in a fruit processing factory; we made stuff for ALDI, weight watchers, and a few other companies, all came down the same line.’

'It's the same for bread too. I used to work at Tip Top Bakery in Dandenong. All the packaged supermarket bread is Tip Top bread,’ another said.

‘The only difference is the supermarket brands were bagged first, so technically the Tip Top brands were a few hours fresher.'

Cheese lovers might be interested to know their indulgence could also be a part of this practice.

'Can confirm this is true for brie and camembert cheese there. Same product, just different packaging,' chimed in another user.

A former confectionery manufacturer worker also supported the claim, sharing that outsourcing production is a customary practice in almost every product.

They wrote: '100 per cent, I used to work at an Australian confectionery manufacturer. The exact same product goes into our own branded product as what goes into ALDI.'

'ALDI sells them cheaper. ALDI guarantees its sales, buys in bulk, and cuts out all the extra charges like rebates that other major retailers or independent supermarkets include. These things allow for a cheaper price from the manufacturer.'

The revelations led to numerous discussions on the benefits of purchasing ALDI products. One person pointed out: 'If that's actually true, then you've just discovered that buying the product at ALDI is cheaper for the same content.’

Key Takeaways
  • ALDI and other budget retailers rely on cost-effective production methods to keep prices low for their customers.
  • A customer discovered a packet of ALDI's brand chips inside a Smith's original chips multi-pack, which led to a discussion on Reddit about product outsourcing.
  • Redditors shared their experiences of working in various industries where the same products were manufactured for different brands, highlighting that the only difference between them is the packaging and branding.
  • ALDI is known for selling products cheaper due to its guarantees on sales, bulk buying, and cutting out extra charges that other major retailers include, thereby offering the same content at a lower price.

While ALDI and Pepsico Australia – the company that makes Smith's chips – have yet to comment on the matter, it's fascinating to learn about the behind-the-scenes practices that allow consumers to save money.

So, members, it’s important to do your research when it comes to budget shopping. Always compare the prices and ingredients to know you are getting the best value for money.

Have you ever had a similar experience before? Share your stories with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
I thought it was a well know fact that most homebrands are actually made by a bigger company.

Many years ago I had a friend who worked for Fielders Bread and they used to make the bread for the old Franklin's store, the only difference was the packaging and price.
My friend told me thus was the case with many products

There’s no denying that we all love a good bargain. When it comes to looking for deals, many savvy shoppers consider ALDI a go-to shopping destination due to its reputation for providing quality products at affordable prices.

But did you know that there's a savvy business strategy behind those wallet-friendly deals?

Thanks to the globalised economy, outsourcing has become a popular method for companies to cut expenses and boost efficiency.

By handing off parts of their operations to external suppliers, businesses can save on labour, materials, and overhead costs.

This is especially true for budget retailers like ALDI, who count on cost-effective production methods to keep prices reasonable for their customers.

Proof of this strategy in action may have been found by an unsuspecting customer who made a startling discovery inside their Smith's chips multi-pack that they purchased from a supermarket that wasn’t ALDI. The shopper did not confirm whether they bought this multi-pack at Coles or Woolworths.

View attachment 19390
One customer shared that they discovered a pack of ALDI brand chips inside a packet of Smith’s chips, speculating that the same company manufactured the products. Credit: Reddit.

‘Smiths scam! I just opened a packet of Smith's original chips and found a pack of ALDI brand chips in there!’ the baffled shopper wrote in their post on Reddit.

'Obviously Smith's also manufacture the ALDI brand, which is significantly cheaper! Is this a thing?!'

Keen social media users were quick to share their own experiences, explaining that outsourcing production is a prevalent practice in the industry.

One user wrote: 'Yes, it's a thing. I used to work in a fruit processing factory; we made stuff for ALDI, weight watchers, and a few other companies, all came down the same line.’

'It's the same for bread too. I used to work at Tip Top Bakery in Dandenong. All the packaged supermarket bread is Tip Top bread,’ another said.

‘The only difference is the supermarket brands were bagged first, so technically the Tip Top brands were a few hours fresher.'

Cheese lovers might be interested to know their indulgence could also be a part of this practice.

'Can confirm this is true for brie and camembert cheese there. Same product, just different packaging,' chimed in another user.

A former confectionery manufacturer worker also supported the claim, sharing that outsourcing production is a customary practice in almost every product.

They wrote: '100 per cent, I used to work at an Australian confectionery manufacturer. The exact same product goes into our own branded product as what goes into ALDI.'

'ALDI sells them cheaper. ALDI guarantees its sales, buys in bulk, and cuts out all the extra charges like rebates that other major retailers or independent supermarkets include. These things allow for a cheaper price from the manufacturer.'

The revelations led to numerous discussions on the benefits of purchasing ALDI products. One person pointed out: 'If that's actually true, then you've just discovered that buying the product at ALDI is cheaper for the same content.’

Key Takeaways

• ALDI and other budget retailers rely on cost-effective production methods to keep prices low for their customers.
  • A customer discovered a packet of ALDI's brand chips inside a Smith's original chips multi-pack, which led to a discussion on Reddit about product outsourcing.
  • Redditors shared their experiences of working in various industries where the same products were manufactured for different brands, highlighting that the only difference between them is the packaging and branding.
  • ALDI is known for selling products cheaper due to its guarantees on sales, bulk buying, and cutting out extra charges that other major retailers include, thereby offering the same content at a lower price.

While ALDI and Pepsico Australia – the company that makes Smith's chips – have yet to comment on the matter, it's fascinating to learn about the behind-the-scenes practices that allow consumers to save money.

So, members, it’s important to do your research when it comes to budget shopping. Always compare the prices and ingredients to know you are getting the best value for money.

Have you ever had a similar experience before? Share your stories with us in the comments below!
What makes people think that one factory produces for only one company/store.
Reality check people!

I thought it was a well know fact that most homebrands are actually made by a bigger company.

Many years ago I had a friend who worked for Fielders Bread and they used to make the bread for the old Franklin's store, the only difference was the packaging and price.
My friend told me thus was the case with many products

Reactions: Ann Head and Ricci

View attachment 19390

Key Takeaways

The same applies to genuine car parts such as filters.

View attachment 19390

Key Takeaways

Food etc processors have contracts for various brands for the same items and the only difference may be in the labels.
Have a look at the ingredients, and nutrition especially, info on a label and compare brands - if the are the same bingo, same maker. Although some may get clever and put slightly different figures in there as long as do not suggest a higher level of the main ingredient or lower nutritional figures.

I have a cousin who owns a big dairy factory in the Netherlands , they have many shops throughout the country which they franchise out . They also sell their products under their own company name to many supermarkets , but also under the supermarkets own name . The products are the same , but just comes in a different pot . They supply single serve desserts to airlines as well.

I worked in a fruit canning factory. Export orders filled first, turned up volume of fruit for their premium cans, more volume for their cheaper cans, then even more for the generic. By this time fruit with skin and seeds, bruises and stems were going in, whatever couldnt be pulled out as it went past.

Reactions: Milica
Love potato chips. That's good to know about Smiths and Aldi.
I find it disappointing that most generic canned fruit comes from China now.

• Wow
Reactions: Milica
I'm surprised this is even news LOL. People have known for years that supermarket home brands and Aldi products were made by the major manufacturers in most cases and just packed differently. Did people really honestly not know this?

Reactions: Kaylee and Ann Head

View attachment 19390

Key Takeaways

Yep Aldi the products are the same as the other's it usually to start or finish the line this happens with milk powder crumpets out of Aldi are made on the the same line slightly different packaging 📦 but the same and the price a hell of alot cheaper

Yes I’m another one who has known for year, daughter worked for pie company who also was packaged under another name for Aldi , someone has to make the food . In this case was exactly the same pies .
I will not buy the China canned fruit

Yes anything out sourced would be made by a top company that's why I miss ALDI here in Tasmania. Just a side issue 15 years ago my wife bought a pair of joggers just a cheap pair called apple pie made in China one shoe had apple pie branding the other shoe had nike exactly the same shoe obviously both brands made in the same factory Nike don't actually produce anything

View attachment 19390

Key Takeaways

Yes I’ve learned of several
Products over the years. I know that west acre cheese is Bega so why would you pay more to get Bega at woollies? I heard about this all those years ago when No Frills supermarkets first started in Australia. It’s nice to know we can get quality products cheaper at Aldi.

View attachment 19390

Key Takeaways

My little dog loves My Dog in the individual serves. I decided to check out what Aldi had. They sell 3 of the types of My Dog for $1.09 and in Woolworths, they sell it for $1.70! But Aldi also sell a brand called Julius and they are 99 cents for each type and yep, they are the same as the other types that are sold in Woolies. Ridiculous when Woolies is such a big company selling a product way dearer than Aldi. Go figure.