Before his death, Australian TV icon Bert Newton made peace with son Matthew

Actor and filmmaker Matthew Newton, 44, made peace with father Bert Newton before his death at the age of 83 last Saturday.

4PfZHdcb-wK7RbafnxRAgpRhX6NaG54qzMjlCEXH2zfhPnc5kOVxrKLS41UFeaqhP28qXbBkqoo1nK-QIAXC48ZodlEs8ltFzG2BtSLsEP3AN9DwrjaQapkwI-V3n6igmBtmXjkQ

Bert Newton and son Matthew in 1988. Photo retrieved from News.com.au.
The strain between Bert Newton and his son Matthew started when he and his wife Patti did an interview with A Current Affair in 2010, and talked about their troubled son allegedly assaulting his then-fiancée, Rachael Taylor.

According to the program, the Newtons tried to help their son, who was suffering from mental health issues, as his life spiralled overwhelmingly out of control.

The TV legend described his son's personal life as a 'train wreck' and blamed Matthew’s lousy behaviour on 'his lifestyle in Sydney and getting in with the wrong people'.

Matthew had his father’s support back in 2010, but the interview made it clear that Bert did not 'condone' the abusive behaviour.

“A lot of things that have unfolded in recent times, the great majority of those things we've learned about them through the media,” Bert said in the interview.

“People might have had the impression that whatever happened, and whatever was done, we condoned it, and when a situation like this comes along, you don't.”

“A lot of people don't have the experience, but when it concerns your child, you say, "Well, of course, we love him, and we support him."

“I think I made an error in saying that because I do love him, and I do support him, but I don't support or condone any of the things that have happened.”

“We should have seen the signs... but we didn't.” Mr Newton concluded.

Matthew, who is currently residing in New York, said that at the time, he 'wasn't happy' with his parents' decision to speak to ACA. But he came to understand their reasons for doing the interview.

fvAtUh3IqwNfECfe0XA0c0909zB_DLOLxWPrFr4G0Qv0fI3bbz3d5rAPykmhx-mqRCVLQANmOYmGuygc-Eom3E2Yfo4SBCK-jQCUf59ARcoEumNf7H-cXaV9f6spppslBKJv5H8m

While he was able to turn his life around, he spent much of the last decade living in New York and only saw his parents occasionally. Photo by Roy Rochlin via New York Times.
On Monday, Patti said her son wouldn't be able to attend her husband's funeral this week, but it was only because of logistics and travel restrictions, and had nothing to do with any past resentments.

“The press is just desperate to find a little glitch into [their relationship],” she aired out.

“He won't be coming. I mean, maybe he needs to put a statement out to stop everybody thinking that there's a rift or something.”

“There was no rift. He's had many long conversations with Bert in the hospital, and that was all fine. It's just the logistics of it all, and with COVID, and with everything else.”

A family friend added, “They were FaceTiming and communicating. It's always been a no-go zone with Patti and Bert, and they haven't wanted to talk about it.”

Since relocating to New York in 2012, Matthew stayed under the radar and reportedly declined requests to return to Australia.

Sources reported that the actor permanently gave up his home country, and is now happily living with long-term partner Catherine Schneiderman in New York City.

According to friends, it would be ‘unlikely’ for him to head home for his father’s state funeral this week.

Sponsored