Beautiful & Easy Butter Chicken

Beautiful & Easy Butter Chicken

shutterstock_1490858222.jpg

Credits: Shutterstock
I love Indian food. I mean, I really, really love it. Butter chicken is one of my favourite Indian dishes, and it's surprisingly easy to make. This recipe is super simple, and the results are amazing, so let's get to it!

Ingredients:

500 grams skinless chicken cut of choice (we prefer breast chicken, but thigh works too!)
2 tablespoons olive oil (or you can use 30g of butter if you prefer)
1 large onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon grated ginger
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 (500 gram) can diced tomatoes
1 cup full-fat milk of choice (we prefer coconut milk, it just gives it that extra bit of flavour)
1 cup of light cream (you can use heavy cream if you prefer)
1/4 cup chopped fresh coriander leaves

Instructions:

1. Preheat the oven to 190 degrees C.

2. Heat olive oil in a large ovenproof skillet or pot over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, ginger, cumin, coriander, turmeric, cardamom, cloves, and black pepper. Cook, stirring often until the onion is softened, about 5 minutes.

3. Add the skinless chicken and cook until browned, about 5 minutes.

4. Add diced tomatoes and full-fat milk. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.

5. Pour the mixture into a baking dish and bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes.

6. Stir in the light cream and coriander leaves. Serve over steamed rice (I recommend Basmati) or with naan bread.

The history of butter chicken is a bit disputed, but it is believed to have originated in India in the 1950s. According to Wikipedia, the 'curry was made "by chance" by mixing leftover tandoori chicken in a tomato gravy rich in butter.' The dish gained popularity in the West in the 1970s, and it is now one of the most popular Indian dishes in the world. So, if you haven't tried it yet, what are you waiting for?

Last edited:
Reactions: Whitham and Ricci
Sponsored