Battle of the Vanilla Extracts: Woolies vs. ALDI vs. Coles vs. Premium

Recently, member @Iggydi wrote a fantastic article looking at the difference that one ingredient can make in a recipe. This time around, we’re taking a look at vanilla extract and whether you should fork over the big bucks for a premium brand or if homebrand alternatives are competitive options.

Let’s take a look at the findings!

But first, let’s meet today’s product reviewer, Diane, better known as @Iggydi on the forum!

Meet Diane:

I’m nearly 67. I have been formally married for 21 years, but I’ve been with hubby for nearly 40 years (I didn’t know if I liked him, so I had to make sure haha).

I have three children from a previous marriage and no children from my current marriage. I have four granddaughters, one grandson and one great-granddaughter (20 months old), plus two stepdaughters, three step-granddaughters and four step-grandsons.

I worked in the government for 13 years. Due to the NDIS being rolled out and given a choice, I took a redundancy in 2018 and don’t know how I managed to work because I seem to be busy 95% of the time. I also worked in hospitality for eight years and retail for 23 years.

I love baking, eating, and making chocolates for Easter, Christmas, and birthdays for family and friends.

I have seen most of Australia, visited every state and territory, and lived in 3 different states: SA, TAS and QLD. My husband and I were lucky enough to work on Hayman Island for three years. I currently live in Queensland.

I love travelling, catching up with family and friends and seeing this beautiful country.

Test 1: Cupcakes
Using the Queen recipe. The recipe is linked at the bottom of the review.

Test 2: Custard
I made the custard from scratch. The recipe is included at the bottom of the review.

1. Coles Bake & Create Vanilla Extract | 100mL

photo 1 (8).jpg
Image Credit: SDC/Member @Iggydi

Price: $5.50 — Link to purchase

Ingredients: Water, Alcohol, Vanilla Beans, Sugar. (Contains 18% Alcohol by volume)

No Artificial Colours or Flavours
Suitable for Vegetarians and Vegans
Made in Germany

Test 1 - Cupcakes

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
Recently, member @Iggydi wrote a fantastic article looking at the difference that one ingredient can make in a recipe. This time around, we’re taking a look at vanilla extract and whether you should fork over the big bucks for a premium brand or if homebrand alternatives are competitive options.

But first, let’s meet today’s product reviewer, Diane, better known as @Iggydi on the forum!

Meet Diane:

I’m nearly 67. I have been formally married for 21 years, but I’ve been with hubby for nearly 40 years (I didn’t know if I liked him, so I had to make sure haha).

I have three children from a previous marriage and no children from my current marriage. I have four granddaughters, one grandson and one great-granddaughter (20 months old), plus two stepdaughters, three step-granddaughters and four step-grandsons.

I worked in the government for 13 years. Due to the NDIS being rolled out and given a choice, I took a redundancy in 2018 and don’t know how I managed to work because I seem to be busy 95% of the time. I also worked in hospitality for eight years and retail for 23 years.

I love baking, eating, and making chocolates for Easter, Christmas, and birthdays for family and friends.

I have seen most of Australia, visited every state and territory, and lived in 3 different states: SA, TAS and QLD. My husband and I were lucky enough to work on Hayman Island for three years. I currently live in Queensland.

I love travelling, catching up with family and friends and seeing this beautiful country.

I made the custard from scratch. The recipe is included at the bottom of the review.

View attachment 31913

Ingredients: Water, Alcohol, Vanilla Beans, Sugar. (Contains 18% Alcohol by volume)

Made in Germany

Test 1 - Cupcakes

Reactions: DowntheHill

Meet Diane:

View attachment 31913

Made in Germany

Test 1 - Cupcakes

Meet Diane:

View attachment 31913

Made in Germany

Test 1 - Cupcakes

Meet Diane:

View attachment 31913

Made in Germany

Test 1 - Cupcakes

Interesting to compare the different ingredients: sugars and alcohols (or lack thereof) especially.