Battle of the Budget Hand Soaps: Palmolive, Dettol, Tricare, Balnea, Coles

Have you ever wondered which budget hand soap is best? Sure, they all come in at a similar price, but is one secretly drying out your hands or clogging your sink? We thought we’d send in someone who values quality hand soap ingredients, is prone to dry skin and has plenty of experience clearing cheap soap out of drains.

At this stage, his name may be familiar. But just in case…

Meet Marty

My name is Marty. I am a male in my mid-fifties. I spent time in the Australian Defence Forces and for the last twenty-five-plus years as a Property Facilities Manager.

I have two grown-up children and one grandson. I enjoy riding Vespa scooters and playing miniature wargames, as I have done since my childhood. I exercise and drink alcohol regularly in healthy measure.

Let’s get started

Before I start the comparisons, let me tell you about how I went into a testing program for each product. I knew I couldn't just wash my hands for hours (but I did end up doing that, too). After reading the labels and seeing the things it said to do, i.e. Store it in a cool, dry place, out of direct sunlight—that made me want to find out what happens to it in direct sunlight.

So I used a muffin pan and lined it with aluminium foil, numbered each depression and pumped in squirts of soap to leave next to the window. A week later, I checked it, and to be honest, I wasn't expecting the results; see below…

Last edited:
Sponsored
I use the one from Aldi and I love it. It is anti-bacterial. I buy the one litre refill bottle and use a dispenser that once held Palmolive product. I love the Grapefruit Twist. It smells and feels great.