Basic Muffin Recipes with different Variations

Muffins have to be an all time family favourite but everyone has their own favourite

I'm adding a basic muffin recipe which is yummy by itself but I'm also adding a few variations , to add to the basic muffin

Makes 12

cat_pid_3720335_z.jpg
Image source: Freshdirect

Ingredients

2 cups plain flour
1 teaspoon vanilla essence or extract
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1 cup of milk
1/4 cup melted butter

Method
preheat oven 180° C or 160°C fan-forced

1. Sift flour, salt and baking powder twice into a bowl

2. Add sugar and mix to combine

3. In a seperate bowl add egg and milk and whisk together , add ,elated butter and continue whisking until combined and smooth.
Then combine with flour mixture and stir until combined.

4. Pour evenly into a lined muffin tin.

5. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, checking at 25 minutes

6 . Remove and cool in tin for 10 minutes before removing to cooling rack

Variations

1. Apple muffins - add 1 cup of finely chopped apples to sifted ingredients

2. Cheese- Add 1/2 cup of grated cheese to sifted ingredients ( I usually use tasty cheese but other cheeses like motzarella works too)

3. Dates - Add 1/2 cup odds chopped dates to sifted ingredients ( I sometimes will switch white sugar for brown sugar )

4. Peanut butter - substitute the butter for 1/3 cup of peanut butter ( I will soften the peanut butter in microwave)

5. Cheese n bacon - Add 1/4 cup of cheese and 2 slices of finely chopped bacon to sifted ingredients

6. For wholemeal muffins - substitute 1 cup of white flour for wholemeal and use brown suhar instead of white sugar

7. Chocolate chip - add 1/4 cup of chocolate chips to sifted ingredients. You can also add 1 tablespoon of cocoa powder to sifted ingredients

8. Carrot - add 1/2 cup of grated carrots to mixture when adding egg n milk mixture. Use brown sugar instead of white. I also use vegetable oil instead of butter. You can also add 1/4 cup of chopped walnuts

9. Blueberries- add 1 cup of Blueberries to sifted ingredients

There are so many variations just by using the basic muffin recipe.
I have also sprinkled caster and cinnamon on top of the basic muffins after 5 minutes out of the oven. It then taste like donuts.
Please add you own variations below

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
Instead of the melted butter, could you put olive oil? I have a similar recipe for muffins but olive oil and yoghurt is added. Will try this one.

I love the variety of muffins , you can chop and change anything to your likening. I mainly make them with fruit in season , add coconut and other pieces of nut , like macadamia. Also like the peanutbutter ones , it is such a useful product
. Thanks for sharing.