rehandra

Oct 6, 2021
Banking

Well yesterday I went into Bankwest to ask them to transfer money to another bank. Answer: "yes I can do that for you but it will cost $35 and if you would like a bank cheque that will be $10". When I baulked at both she then said "if you have an online account (which I do but I was hesitant to do it myself as it was a reasonable amount and did not want to make an error)...she said if you have your password etc with you and your mobile phone I can "show" you how to do it at the computer over there".

With that I said "thank you" and walked out. Went home and managed to work it out ok and after verifying everything as I went (and codes coming at me three times by phone) I sent the money through. I was quite stressed while doing it I might add.

My beef is why should we be forced into doing this when we are elderly and we could make an error. I feel like closing my account entirely with them.

I assume those who do not have a computer etc and not competent will just have to pay the charges. The world has sure changed.

Banking

Well yesterday I went into Bankwest to ask them to transfer money to another bank. Answer: "yes I can do that for you but it will cost $35 and if you would like a bank cheque that will be $10". When I baulked at both she then said "if you have an online account (which I do but I was hesitant to do it myself as it was a reasonable amount and did not want to make an error)...she said if you have your password etc with you and your mobile phone I can "show" you how to do it at the computer over there".

With that I said "thank you" and walked out. Went home and managed to work it out ok and after verifying everything as I went (and codes coming at me three times by phone) I sent the money through. I was quite stressed while doing it I might add.

My beef is why should we be forced into doing this when we are elderly and we could make an error. I feel like closing my account entirely with them.

I assume those who do not have a computer etc and not competent will just have to pay the charges. The world has sure changed.
Goodness, I would be frustrated too :( I'm so sorry to hear about this experience, and thank you for being brave enough to speak up about it!

Banking

A lot of inefficiency out there now, especially in banks where once everything had to be correct. I was saw an elderly lady directed to a computer in Centrelink, she hadn't even seen one before but she was expected to work it out.

Banking

The word banking is similar to another word that describes this system. My bank closed down the branch I use, that was OK as there was still an ATM. Bugger they've taken it away! I now use an opposition's ATM if I need cash. Of course, they want us to go cashless, then they can make more money without giving anything for it.

Where is the help and support for the elderly today. It is not only lacking in the banking industry, but other sectors as well. I feel for this poor woman, what if she had made a mistake when she went home to do it online, would the bank have refunded her money or blocked the transaction? We pay for a service not only in the banks but supermarkets etc and we are left on our pat malones to do it ourselves. Where is the equity in that. This is a very touchy subject for me with everything going self serve. :(

Banking

Gone are the days when banks are nice kind and helpful, my stress level hits the roof every time I go into my bank as I know I’m going to get bombarded with tech stuff I just find too much to handle. I ordered something on line and needed to check to see if it was a scam I waited over 2 hours to speak to someone that’s disgusting to say the least. I feel like taking all my pension out as soon as it comes in, but what’s the point when half the shops I go to don’t take cash. Sorry for my rant I just hate being old and not understanding things.

Gone are the days when banks are nice kind and helpful, my stress level hits the roof every time I go into my bank as I know I’m going to get bombarded with tech stuff I just find too much to handle. I ordered something on line and needed to check to see if it was a scam I waited over 2 hours to speak to someone that’s disgusting to say the least. I feel like taking all my pension out as soon as it comes in, but what’s the point when half the shops I go to don’t take cash. Sorry for my rant I just hate being old and not understanding things.
I find that extremely hard to believe that 1/2 the stores you go to don't take cash. With Do you mean BankWest that was in the first sentence? With VERY VERY few exceptions every store will take cash.

Reactions: Ricci and Wandiwa
I understand we will soon be cashless - which I dont understand why? Is it to drop staffing levels at banks? and if so will they drop any fees they charge? I am also concerned as I have been to a couple of stores & a coffee shops which upon payment (& not before) advise they are now cashless & also charged me a 5% fee on top of cost for a coffee?

I understand we will soon be cashless - which I dont understand why? Is it to drop staffing levels at banks? and if so will they drop any fees they charge? I am also concerned as I have been to a couple of stores & a coffee shops which upon payment (& not before) advise they are now cashless & also charged me a 5% fee on top of cost for a coffee?
They have to advise you before or have a sign stating "cash only", I would have refused to pay.

Firstly, it's the other way around, fees are justified for face to face, as has been the case for 20+ years, a user pay principle has applied. Face to face costs money to provide, whereas you doing online is all but nothing to provide. If there is no choice to pay cash and there is a potential fee for cashless, then go elsewhere. Keep in mind all these businesses that 'pass on' the cost of eftpos also claim these fees on their end of year taxes as the cost of doing business. I would also be pointing out to these businesses that charge 5% that the MAXIMUM they can pass on, it the actual cost 1.9%. Once again, vote with your feet and let them know that's what you're going to do. Can't tell you the last time I walked into a bank to withdraw money, nor do I understand why anyone wants to queue to do something that take seconds to do online or via an app. If it's an issue then talk to friends or family to show you how, learn the simple requirements to do or maybe it's time for a financial power of attorney to be appointed.

Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci
i feel for this person l'm a 78 year old male who up until my wife passed away had nothing to do with computers. i changed from ANZ because they closed branches and removed ATM services and went to Heritage bank where l'm treated like a person and most of the staff call me by my name not sir like the other bank did and l used to tell the staff at Anz just call me Murray l don't get Knighted until next week

The Bank was named - BankWest.
I have to confess that I have no patience with people who want to "name and shame" ( ie defame) corporations which don't practice their business in a way that the customer asserts that they should. We all suffer and create inconveniences to others due to the nature of the jobs that we do. No corporation can be all things to all of its customers, sometimes things just don't turn out the way we expect.

Reactions: Ricci and Wandiwa
Firstly, it's the other way around, fees are justified for face to face, as has been the case for 20+ years, a user pay principle has applied. Face to face costs money to provide, whereas you doing online is all but nothing to provide. If there is no choice to pay cash and there is a potential fee for cashless, then go elsewhere. Keep in mind all these businesses that 'pass on' the cost of eftpos also claim these fees on their end of year taxes as the cost of doing business. I would also be pointing out to these businesses that charge 5% that the MAXIMUM they can pass on, it the actual cost 1.9%. Once again, vote with your feet and let them know that's what you're going to do. Can't tell you the last time I walked into a bank to withdraw money, nor do I understand why anyone wants to queue to do something that take seconds to do online or via an app. If it's an issue then talk to friends or family to show you how, learn the simple requirements to do or maybe it's time for a financial power of attorney to be appointed.
How do you withdraw/deposit money online again? Make a single digit error on a transfer (and it happens everyday), and the cost is yours.