Bank scam exposed: Five charged for alleged plot involving ATM skimmers and counterfeit bank cards

It's a brave new digital world out there, but as our tech-savvy members would know, some unwanted risks come with all the otherwise great perks of the internet. One of the most troubling on the list is the threat of cybercrime.

Recently, in a joint effort by Australian and US authorities, five foreign nationals were apprehended for an alleged high-tech bank fraud involving ATM skimmers and fake bank cards.

Australian Federal Police Detective Superintendent Tim Stainton, reacting to the arrest, highlighted how pervasive cybercrime has become.

'Australia remains a lucrative target for cybercriminals, and in this digital age, we know that personal data has become incredibly valuable to criminals,' he stated.

‘We're well advanced in terms of their activities and are monitoring them on an ongoing basis.’

Screenshot 2023-08-15 080540.png
Five individuals have been arrested over alleged bank fraud. Credit: Eduardo Soares/Unsplash

These five individuals were allegedly part of the same international crime ring earlier investigated by the United States Secret Service (USSS).

The syndicate had reportedly identified Australia as an opportune target.

Earlier this year, the USSS arrested five Romanian nationals allegedly targeting US citizens receiving welfare benefits via electronic benefits transfer cards.

According to authorities, the alleged offenders installed ATM skimmers to clone victims' electronic benefits transfer card details and PINs. At the start of each month, the crime syndicate re-encoded the cloned bank cards to visit ATMs and withdraw the newly loaded funds.

Acting on information from their US counterparts, the Australian Federal Police (AFP) traced suspicious packages believed to contain ATM skimmers sent from China, Britain and the US to these offenders.

The AFP and New South Wales Police also raided a short-term rental property in Rhodes, Sydney, where they seized $12,935 in cash, skimming devices, false identity documents, including passports, bank cards in other people's names, electronic devices, card readers, SIM cards, and handheld electrical tools.

After further investigation, an alleged syndicate branch was uncovered operating in Brisbane. This led to the arrest of two syndicate members attempting to withdraw funds using cloned cards from an ATM under surveillance.

Meanwhile, two Romanian nationals, a 33-year-old man and a 32-year-old woman, recently appeared in Parramatta Local Court, Sydney. They've been charged with crimes under the Anti-Money Laundering and Counter-Terrorism Financing Act and face a maximum penalty of 10 years imprisonment if found guilty.

Other arrested nationals, one Romanian and one Polish, face a maximum penalty of up to 14 years in prison. Another Romanian national is facing a maximum prison sentence of 5 years if found guilty.

All are due to appear in court over the coming months.

Key Takeaways

• Five foreign nationals have been arrested in Australia for an alleged plot involving ATM skimmers and fake bank cards.
  • The syndicate was reportedly part of an international crime ring previously investigated by the United States Secret Service.
  • Identity information has become increasingly targeted by criminals, with Australia, in particular, being seen as a lucrative target.
  • The alleged offenders were caught using ATM skimmers to clone victims' card details and later withdraw funds from the victims' accounts.

It’s essential to know how to prevent these bank frauds and scams, which come in various forms. The key is awareness and preparation.

To help you out, ANZ Australia has shared some tips to avoid being a victim of scams.

Watch this video below:

This case serves as a reminder for our members to always keep their guard up regarding personal information and bank details. If a message or an email appears suspicious, do not click on any links or provide any personal data.

Stay vigilant and stay safe, members.

What do you think of this story, dear members? Do you have other tips to avoid being scammed? Share them in the comments below!

Last edited:
Sponsored
It's a brave new digital world out there, but as our tech-savvy members would know, some unwanted risks come with all the otherwise great perks of the internet. One of the most troubling on the list is the threat of cybercrime.

Recently, in a joint effort by Australian and US authorities, five foreign nationals were apprehended for an alleged high-tech bank fraud involving ATM skimmers and fake bank cards.

Australian Federal Police Detective Superintendent Tim Stainton, reacting to the arrest, highlighted how pervasive cybercrime has become.

'Australia remains a lucrative target for cybercriminals, and in this digital age, we know that personal data has become incredibly valuable to criminals,' he stated.

‘We're well advanced in terms of their activities and are monitoring them on an ongoing basis.’

View attachment 27390
Five individuals have been arrested over alleged bank fraud. Credit: Eduardo Soares/Unsplash

These five individuals were allegedly part of the same international crime ring earlier investigated by the United States Secret Service (USSS).

Earlier this year, the USSS arrested five Romanian nationals allegedly targeting US citizens receiving welfare benefits via electronic benefits transfer cards.

According to authorities, the alleged offenders installed ATM skimmers to clone victims' electronic benefits transfer card details and PINs. At the start of each month, the crime syndicate re-encoded the cloned bank cards to visit ATMs and withdraw the newly loaded funds.

Acting on information from their US counterparts, the Australian Federal Police (AFP) traced suspicious packages believed to contain ATM skimmers sent from China, Britain and the US to these offenders.

The AFP and New South Wales Police also raided a short-term rental property in Rhodes, Sydney, where they seized $12,935 in cash, skimming devices, false identity documents, including passports, bank cards in other people's names, electronic devices, card readers, SIM cards, and handheld electrical tools.

After further investigation, an alleged syndicate branch was uncovered operating in Brisbane. This led to the arrest of two syndicate members attempting to withdraw funds using cloned cards from an ATM under surveillance.

Meanwhile, two Romanian nationals, a 33-year-old man and a 32-year-old woman, recently appeared in Parramatta Local Court, Sydney. They've been charged with crimes under the Anti-Money Laundering and Counter-Terrorism Financing Act and face a maximum penalty of 10 years imprisonment if found guilty.

Other arrested nationals, one Romanian and one Polish, face a maximum penalty of up to 14 years in prison. Another Romanian national is facing a maximum prison sentence of 5 years if found guilty.

Key Takeaways

• Five foreign nationals have been arrested in Australia for an alleged plot involving ATM skimmers and fake bank cards.
  • The syndicate was reportedly part of an international crime ring previously investigated by the United States Secret Service.
  • Identity information has become increasingly targeted by criminals, with Australia, in particular, being seen as a lucrative target.
  • The alleged offenders were caught using ATM skimmers to clone victims' card details and later withdraw funds from the victims' accounts.

It’s essential to know how to prevent these bank frauds and scams, which come in various forms. The key is awareness and preparation.

To help you out, ANZ Australia has shared some tips to avoid being a victim of scams.

Watch this video below:

This case serves as a reminder for our members to always keep their guard up regarding personal information and bank details. If a message or an email appears suspicious, do not click on any links or provide any personal data.

What do you think of this story, dear members? Do you have other tips to avoid being scammed? Share them in the comments below!

My partner is an ATM technician and the amount of skimming devices he finds weekly is phenomenal! I knew about them that they were out there, however, I never realised how much they are used. It's scary!

Reactions: terri and Davmes
Upon checking my bank statement yesterday I found an amount of $9.95 taken out of my account by Aus Vehicle Check Com Windsor. On checking my previous statements ( I know, my fault - should have been more thorough ), this had been going on for 2 months. I had used the website to check when my car registration was due for the fee of .50 cents, so obviously I submitted my bank details and two days later an amount of $ 9.95 had been taken out of my account plus another two amounts in the months following. I know this is only a small amount of money, but this is probably happening to many more people. On contacting my bank i was told the only way out was to cancel my card, which is a nuisance, and now I am in the process of having to contact all who are entitled payments. Again, compared to many who have lost thousand I should not be complaining, but please read the fine print before giving bank details and check your bank statements diligently - I know I will be in the future.

I am not tech-savvy, but I sure as hell know a scam when I see it or hear it on my phone. I think the biggest problem is that people are lazy and use/trust the Internet far too much.
If you do not know the source of an email, discard it; if it is a foreign voice, question who they are and then tell them they are not Telstra or someone purporting to be from that establishment, especially if you do not have an account with them.
In fact, if it is out of the ordinary and you maintain routines that work like bank scheduling payments, then ignore it. Also, ignore computerised phone messages like one I get every month which is supposedly Origin Energy, you answer the phone, and it says, "This is origin energy please press 1." As soon as I hear that I hang up, 99.9% of the time robo message-activated phone calls are scams.

PeeBo

Upon checking my bank statement yesterday I found an amount of $9.95 taken out of my account by Aus Vehicle Check Com Windsor. On checking my previous statements ( I know, my fault - should have been more thorough ), this had been going on for 2 months. I had used the website to check when my car registration was due for the fee of .50 cents, so obviously I submitted my bank details and two days later an amount of $ 9.95 had been taken out of my account plus another two amounts in the months following. I know this is only a small amount of money, but this is probably happening to many more people. On contacting my bank i was told the only way out was to cancel my card, which is a nuisance, and now I am in the process of having to contact all who are entitled payments. Again, compared to many who have lost thousand I should not be complaining, but please read the fine print before giving bank details and check your bank statements diligently - I know I will be in the future.
Better still, don't allow direct debit!

Better still, don't allow direct debit!
Wish it was that easy, a lot of companies now insist on a direct debit if you have an account with them, I personally hate them with a passion and always have but if I want the product there is no option. I am talking Telcos and Banks here as well as most streaming services.

Reactions: Jen77au and terri

View attachment 27456

Key Takeaways

Watch this video below:

That poor guy has already been scammed ... He barely has a shirt on his back. His regular trousers have been stolen, so he had to borrow his little sister's pants and she is much shorter than he is, I suspect he had more brain before the scammers got his personal details, he only has the brain power of the average toy poodle left. Poor bloke!

Get a direct debit card, only load it when you need it.
Then you can't lose any money when the card is empty.
Sorry? Do you mean have a separate bank account just to have the direct debits taken out of that one and not your normal everyday transaction account that also has a debit card attached?

Reactions: Jen77au
Sorry? Do you mean have a separate bank account just to have the direct debits taken out of that one and not your normal everyday transaction account that also has a debit card attached?
Get a VISA DEBIT CARD, it has its own 16-digit number.
You put money into it and go shopping when the money is used up the card won't work until more funds are loaded onto the card, if by chance you are scammed the debit card might only have $5 on it.
The scammers will get $5 only.
Your credit card remains intact because it has not been used on any shopping transactions!
Speak to your bank for an in-depth lesson on how to use...
Ideal if going O/S.

View attachment 27456

Key Takeaways

Watch this video below:

Can some please explain why the media always talks in the maximum amount of a sentence. Is it for ratings ? Why not give minimum and average then the public would know what was going on.

I was skimmed years ago walking around a shopping centre. Someone was obviously sitting on a seat with a skimming device. The bank closed my account without my knowledge, as it picked it up. Had to wait for days for a new card.
Every since then, I use a RFID wallet.

View attachment 27456

Key Takeaways

Watch this video below:

I honestly think this is why I like cash. That I go into the bank to get.

Reactions: Luckyus and Marj53
I had two debits to my account by" quickshoppecare" in April and June for $21.61. of which I had no knowledge. Contacted NAB and lodged a disputed transaction report and they blocked any future withdrawals and effected a refund , made today. Sure, it took a while and the amounts were small however they did bring it to a satisfactory conclusion.

Reactions: croz and Trudi