Banish kitchen odours with this cleaning guru’s simple trick!

Are you tired of the lingering smell of last night's dinner? Do you dread the fishy stench that fills your kitchen after cooking seafood?

Or perhaps it's the potent aroma of garlic that just won't seem to dissipate?

If you've ever found yourself in these situations, especially if you live in a small apartment, you're not alone. But don't worry, a Canadian cleaning expert has a solution for you.

Mary Futher, also known as Madame Sweat, has a simple yet effective trick to eliminate those stubborn cooking odours.

'You want to start by boiling a cup of water on the stove,' she advises.

'Then take a lemon or an orange, cut it in quarters, keep the skin on and pop it in the boiling water.'

Screenshot 2024-01-26 131659.png
A cleaning guru shares her expertise to eliminate cooking odours. Image: TikTok/@madamesweat

The citrus fruit releases a fresh, clean scent that can neutralise the most stubborn of cooking smells. But what if you don't have any citrus fruit on hand? Futher has a solution for that too.

'Just add half a cup of white vinegar to the cup of boiling water and it will take away the odour,' she says.

While vinegar might not leave the same pleasant fragrance as citrus fruits, it's a powerful odour neutraliser.

‘I usually do it until I notice the food smell has dissipated,’ she said.

Her video demonstrating this trick has been viewed many times, with viewers praising her 'brilliant' tip.

'My mum used to do this when making Indian food and it works,' one viewer shared.

'Good idea for people that live in tiny houses or campers,' another suggested.

Others chimed in with their own variations: 'I never tried it with citrus fruit but the white vinegar definitely works. Will give the oranges and lemons a try though.'

The comment section was also filled with other creative suggestions for eliminating cooking smells.

'I use pure vanilla, Anise, nutmeg or anything I get my hands on,' one viewer said.

Another revealed: 'I boil cloves and it makes my house smell like Christmas.'

The science behind this trick is quite simple. When you cook, the heat causes the food to release molecules into the air. These molecules are what we perceive as smell.

Citrus fruits and vinegar work to neutralise these odours because they contain strong-smelling compounds that can mask or neutralise food odours.

In addition to this, boiling these ingredients helps to release their scents into the air more effectively. The heat causes the water to evaporate, carrying the scent of citrus or vinegar with it.

This helps to spread the scent throughout the room, neutralising the cooking odours more effectively.

So, the next time you're cooking up a storm in the kitchen, remember this simple trick. Not only will it help to keep your kitchen smelling fresh, but it can also make your cooking experience more enjoyable.

After all, who doesn't love the smell of fresh citrus or the comforting scent of vinegar in the kitchen?

You can watch Futher’s full video below:

Source: TikTok/@madamesweat​

Key Takeaways
  • Canadian cleaning expert Mary Futher shares a simple trick for eliminating cooking smells by boiling citrus fruit or white vinegar in water.
  • Boiling a cut lemon or orange in water is suggested as a natural way to counteract lingering cooking odours.
  • If citrus fruit is not available, half a cup of white vinegar added to boiling water can be an effective alternative.
  • The cleaning tip has proven popular online, with the video viewed numerous times and many suggesting their own variations to combat unwanted kitchen smells.

Do you have any other tips or tricks for eliminating cooking smells? We'd love to hear from you in the comments below!

Sponsored