Baker transforms simple Woolies cake into a work of art: 'This is genius!'

Whenever there is a need for a cake, regardless of the occasion, our first choice has always been the classic Woolies mud cake.

This cake has never let us down! It has a rich flavour, and you can really taste the quality of the chocolate in it. Not to mention the fact that it won't put a dent in your wallet either.

Of course, we also know that the cake isn't perfect in every way.

If we're being completely honest, the mud cake has a plain appearance and may occasionally seem out of place.

This is especially true when it comes to events such as children's birthday parties, which call for a 'fancier' and 'more eye-catching' cake to serve as the centrepiece of the dessert table.

But thankfully, because it's so budget-friendly, you can just buy a few, stack them, or cut them into pieces to make speciality cakes without having to go through the trouble of baking one yourself!

0k_aS66OGn9CtzoRqI_oHBfqxOnZEOOimptewnqNPS8wxmzRJYTjchMHAKcnrvBxUO5jqbNiA-zCZV7skidmsBzgWSNxX0JYGFgbv7tqk22YictzyQilhrVo8-o32Q7vudGJXOaLui5YNxDelniB9Iw

Tegan 'Tigga' Maccormack made a rainbow cake from a $5.25 Chocolate Mud Cake, M&Ms, and marshmallows. Credit: Instagram/@tigga_mac.

One of the many specialty cakes you can create using Woolies' chocolate mud cake as the base is a beautiful rainbow cake that will surely be a hit among the grandkids. Using a few other sweet treats, you can also make this at home!

Tegan 'Tigga' Maccormack, a Melbourne-based cake maker famous for her realistic cake creations on social media, is here to show us how. Here are the things you will need:

And here are the steps to follow:

To begin, take your chocolate mud cake from Woolies and cut it into two equal parts. After that, assemble a shape resembling a half-circle by putting the two pieces together with the chocolate icing on the inside. Press them firmly together to close the gap.

Next, cover the entire surface with a layer of white icing. This part can be a little bit messy, according to Tigga. (It adds to the personality of the cake!)

After that, grab your packets of M&M's and cover the entire cake.

'I was going for a rainbow effect, so I put them in the order of red, orange, yellow, green and blue, and I just continued it over the entire thing until it looked like that,' Tigga explained.

She is a cake decorator, so she wanted to add some flair to the cake, but she stressed that the following step was totally optional. Using a bag of marshmallows, she put them on the edge of the cake to look like fluffy clouds.

And you're done with your rainbow cake! Who would have thought that something like this could be purchased from a grocery store, eh?

Many parents and grandparents were thrilled with the Woolies cake 'hack' and went on to say that the rainbow cake would be ideal for kids' birthday parties or celebrations for toddlers having their first cake smash.

'This is awesome! My son is already asking for a rainbow cake for his next birthday, and this is definitely in my skill set,' one mum wrote in the comments of Tigga's post.

A second mum agreed this was surprisingly easy, saying, 'This is genius. Even I could manage this!'

'This is so cute and so much easier than cutting weird shapes, and involves no moulding of rice bubbles and weird melted marshmallows to get the weird duck shape,' a third person added.

Professional cake decorators, on the other hand, weren't pleased with the video; one even claimed that Tigga had made the cake industry more difficult.

One baker wrote in the comments, 'Although it's very cute, you've just shown people a hack that will encourage more questions to us cakers about why custom cakes cost so much. Even though our cakes taste a million times better and don't have all the crap these cakes have in them.'

As a cake maker herself, Tigga responded to the criticism by saying that she uploaded the video for people who may be going through 'tough times' and do not have the financial resources to pay for a professionally made cake.

'These fun hacks mean everyone's child can still be celebrated with a fun cake!' she wrote in the reply.

What are your thoughts, folks? Are you looking to give this cake 'hack' a try? We sure are! Who says you have to wait until a birthday to eat cake? ;)

Sponsored
Whenever there is a need for a cake, regardless of the occasion, our first choice has always been the classic Woolies mud cake.

This cake has never let us down! It has a rich flavour, and you can really taste the quality of the chocolate in it. Not to mention the fact that it won't put a dent in your wallet either.

Of course, we also know that the cake isn't perfect in every way.

If we're being completely honest, the mud cake has a plain appearance and may occasionally seem out of place.

This is especially true when it comes to events such as children's birthday parties, which call for a 'fancier' and 'more eye-catching' cake to serve as the centrepiece of the dessert table.

But thankfully, because it's so budget-friendly, you can just buy a few, stack them, or cut them into pieces to make speciality cakes without having to go through the trouble of baking one yourself!

0k_aS66OGn9CtzoRqI_oHBfqxOnZEOOimptewnqNPS8wxmzRJYTjchMHAKcnrvBxUO5jqbNiA-zCZV7skidmsBzgWSNxX0JYGFgbv7tqk22YictzyQilhrVo8-o32Q7vudGJXOaLui5YNxDelniB9Iw

Tegan 'Tigga' Maccormack made a rainbow cake from a $5.25 Chocolate Mud Cake, M&Ms, and marshmallows. Credit: Instagram/@tigga_mac.

One of the many specialty cakes you can create using Woolies' chocolate mud cake as the base is a beautiful rainbow cake that will surely be a hit among the grandkids. Using a few other sweet treats, you can also make this at home!

Tegan 'Tigga' Maccormack, a Melbourne-based cake maker famous for her realistic cake creations on social media, is here to show us how. Here are the things you will need:

And here are the steps to follow:

To begin, take your chocolate mud cake from Woolies and cut it into two equal parts. After that, assemble a shape resembling a half-circle by putting the two pieces together with the chocolate icing on the inside. Press them firmly together to close the gap.

Next, cover the entire surface with a layer of white icing. This part can be a little bit messy, according to Tigga. (It adds to the personality of the cake!)

After that, grab your packets of M&M's and cover the entire cake.

'I was going for a rainbow effect, so I put them in the order of red, orange, yellow, green and blue, and I just continued it over the entire thing until it looked like that,' Tigga explained.

She is a cake decorator, so she wanted to add some flair to the cake, but she stressed that the following step was totally optional. Using a bag of marshmallows, she put them on the edge of the cake to look like fluffy clouds.

And you're done with your rainbow cake! Who would have thought that something like this could be purchased from a grocery store, eh?

Many parents and grandparents were thrilled with the Woolies cake 'hack' and went on to say that the rainbow cake would be ideal for kids' birthday parties or celebrations for toddlers having their first cake smash.

'This is awesome! My son is already asking for a rainbow cake for his next birthday, and this is definitely in my skill set,' one mum wrote in the comments of Tigga's post.

A second mum agreed this was surprisingly easy, saying, 'This is genius. Even I could manage this!'

'This is so cute and so much easier than cutting weird shapes, and involves no moulding of rice bubbles and weird melted marshmallows to get the weird duck shape,' a third person added.

Professional cake decorators, on the other hand, weren't pleased with the video; one even claimed that Tigga had made the cake industry more difficult.

One baker wrote in the comments, 'Although it's very cute, you've just shown people a hack that will encourage more questions to us cakers about why custom cakes cost so much. Even though our cakes taste a million times better and don't have all the crap these cakes have in them.'

As a cake maker herself, Tigga responded to the criticism by saying that she uploaded the video for people who may be going through 'tough times' and do not have the financial resources to pay for a professionally made cake.

'These fun hacks mean everyone's child can still be celebrated with a fun cake!' she wrote in the reply.

What are your thoughts, folks? Are you looking to give this cake 'hack' a try? We sure are! Who says you have to wait until a birthday to eat cake? ;)

Well said, quick question what is cake sitting on, it looks like hundreds and thousands????

Reactions: Ricci
That's definitely a winner for the next birthday cak as we all like mud cake.
I'm always disappointed with the $70 tasteless sponge cake decorated with artificial cream, which is what's available in Perth.

• Sad
Reactions: Ricci