Bag battle: Shopper points out sneaky supermarket secrets hiding in paper bags

While grocery shopping, we tend to focus on securing essential items—from pantry staples, cleaning items, and even a few treats in between.

Shoppers often overlook the mundane paper bags we use to carry our purchases home, making it an integral part of the experience.

Recently, an eagle-eyed shopper brought up a 'sneaky' detail in these humble bags, sparking an unexpected and heated debate.

The conversation started on social media, where a shopper shared her observation about two paper bags: one from ALDI and another one from Woolworths.

While she often brought reusable bags while shopping, she would forget to bring one at times, forcing her to purchase paper bags.

It was during one of these instances she realised ALDI's paper bags seemed to offer more value compared to Woolworths'.

compressed-paper bag.jpeg
A shopper compared two different paper bags in a social media post. Image Credit: Facebook/ALDI Mums

'If you forget your bags and have to buy one for 25 cents, at least ALDI's are larger for more grocery items,' she wrote in a post, attaching a photo of the two paper bags.

'You would need three bags at Woolies for two bags at ALDI,' she claimed, highlighting the bags' size difference.

'With the paper, you have to be careful how full they are and how frozen, cold or wet items disintegrate the paper, too.'

Other ALDI shoppers rallied towards the post.

Several comments pointed out ALDI's paper bags being 'the best'.

'The Woolies bags are a joke!' another exclaimed.

'So, Woolies is ripping us off even with the bags now? We have to buy more than we actually should to hold everything.'

However, not everyone was convinced that bigger bags were necessarily better.

Several shoppers also shared their horror stories with the paper bags.

'Yeah, it can't hold much before it rips,' a shopper pointed out.

'I have seen total contents fall out of an ALDI bag once,' they recalled.

'I put just one bottle of wine in and it ripped. The bottle shattered everywhere,' another shared.

So, what's the takeaway from this bag battle? Personal preference plays a significant role.

Some shoppers prioritise size and perceived durability, while others focus on the actual performance of the bag under the stress of heavy or awkwardly shaped items.

So next time you're at the checkout, and you happen to forget your reusable, it could be an opportunity to compare paper bags and their capacities.
Key Takeaways

• An ALDI shopper pointed out that the supermarket's paper bags are larger and tougher compared to Woolworths' paper bags.
  • Shoppers talked about the comparative quality and size of supermarket paper bags and highlighted value for money and durability.
  • A shopper shared a side-by-comparison photo showing the bags' difference.
  • While some agreed that ALDI's bags are superior, others argued that it's not about size but rather how much weight the bags could hold without tearing.
Have you noticed these differences in supermarket paper bags? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
I have never paid for a paper bwg from any supermarket to start with but I certainly would not put any glass bottle item in one be it wine bottle, oil or the like or eggs for that matter. I would not trust them to hold the items even if you were careful. 40 odd years ago I used to have to buy just enough groceries to carry home in a then larger paper bag in NZ as I did not have a car and did that most days and never had any problems with the bags splitting even in the rain. How times have changed!

I have never paid for a paper bwg from any supermarket to start with but I certainly would not put any glass bottle item in one be it wine bottle, oil or the like or eggs for that matter. I would not trust them to hold the items even if you were careful. 40 odd years ago I used to have to buy just enough groceries to carry home in a then larger paper bag in NZ as I did not have a car and did that most days and never had any problems with the bags splitting even in the rain. How times have changed!
I would add that in yesteryears, thevquality of the bags was vastly superior. Today’s paper bags should make the shop owners blush. They should pay for better quality bags - they make enough money as it is.

Recently purchased a 70, yes 70c, paper bag from QBD books. Within 5 mins the bag was torn.At least the ones at the supermarkets are way cheaper and probably stronger

• Angry
Reactions: maurice wildish
Since those bags arrived that you fold and tuck away in your handbag I never run out, my grandchildren call it nannas magic bag as I can drag out 6 out of my bag like a magician that I have bought at reject shops
I do however get a Cole’s delivery and buy their bags. I reuse in a different way, they go into the bottom of the cats litter box , strong and waterproof couldn’t ask for more.

I have two large plastic bags I bought at Woolies when this plastic saga started 6 or 7 years ago. I use them every time I shop at Woolies and they are still going strong. I probably paid 15 or 20 cents for them at the time., but they have paid me back tenfold when I read these current stories.

I refuse to buy paper bags from the supermarkets. I. Paid $3 each for canvess bags from my local fruit and veg and they fit everything in that I buy. They stay in the boot of my car so that I never forget them. They are washable also and I’ve neve had one break on me.

Reactions: Ezzy
I haven’t used either the Woolies or Aldi bags but the useless ones you get with Coles delivery are pathetic. They are so small practically nothing fits in them but they pack them so full the delivery lady offered to carry them inside for me as they were so heavy.
It’s $1.50 for as many bags as it takes so I guess they would pack them pretty full to save a few cents.
I don’t know what to do with them now as I won’t take them to supermarket as they don’t hold enough. Luckily I only order online when I can’t get to supermarket so it’s not too often but couldn’t imagine getting it delivered every week.

Donate them to op shops or
I haven’t used either the Woolies or Aldi bags but the useless ones you get with Coles delivery are pathetic. They are so small practically nothing fits in them but they pack them so full the delivery lady offered to carry them inside for me as they were so heavy.
It’s $1.50 for as many bags as it takes so I guess they would pack them pretty full to save a few cents.
I don’t know what to do with them now as I won’t take them to supermarket as they don’t hold enough. Luckily I only order online when I can’t get to supermarket so it’s not too often but couldn’t imagine getting it delivered every week.
donate them to op shops - our lions club have a sale every Saturday as well

Reactions: Ezzy and Littleboy8
I have folded in a pouch bags that are not paper some sorts of soft plastic that I always have in my handbag, for emergencies when shopping at other shops, you could even use these at supermarkets if you wanted to. Better that paper bags and about the same size and roll right back up into the pouch and can be tucked right back into your hand bag, or has a hook on it to hook onto your belt. most variety store sell these. I also have reusable supermarket bag which I put back into the boot of my car, I would never buy paper bags. I do not know why these supper markets don't reuse the boxes that their products came in, back in the 70's 80's and even in the 90's you could pack your shopping in this. Like Bunnings offer when you shop there.

Reactions: DEL boy and Ezzy
Recycle them as garbage bags - that is all they are good for. 2/3 the size of Woolies bags and 1/2 the size of Aldi bags.
Here's an idea - they are thin enough to deconstruct, turn inside out and use them as brown paper covers for school books - just saying

I bought a metre of calico & made some bags many years ago before supermarkets were charging for them. They wash well & I’m still using them. They are not as large as the ones you buy but the good thing is that they are not so heavy when full.

Woolworths recently strengthened their paper bags, making them thicker because, as a staff member said, they weren't strong enough to carry milk without tearing.