BAFTA snubs Friends star at recent event, sparks outrage among fans

The British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTA) Awards, a prestigious event that honours the best in film and television, recently sparked a wave of outrage among fans worldwide.

The reason? The glaring omission of beloved actor Matthew Perry from the In Memoriam segment of the ceremony.

Matthew Perry, best known for his role as Chandler Bing in the iconic sitcom Friends, passed away on October 28 at the age of 54 due to the 'acute effects of ketamine'.

Perry's illustrious career spanned not only television but also the big screen, with starring roles in films such as The Whole Nine Yards and Fools Rush In.

Despite his significant contributions to the entertainment industry, Perry's name was conspicuously absent from the BAFTA's tribute to those we've lost in the past year.

SDC 5.png
BAFTA is in hot water after failure to include Matthew Perry in its In Memoriam segment. Image source: X/@BAFTA.

The In Memoriam segment, set to Cyndi Lauper’s 'Time After Time' and performed by Ted Lasso star Hannah Waddingham, paid tribute to numerous industry figures.

However, the omission of Perry's name led to a flurry of criticism on social media platforms, with many expressing that the actor's absence was a significant oversight.

'No mention of Matthew Perry in the #BAFTAs memorial? Bad form, BAFTA,' one user wrote.

Another user echoed this sentiment, stating, 'Only came to make sure I wasn’t the only person saddened at the glaring omission by BAFTA of Matthew Perry during the In Memoriam tributes! I’m pleased to see it’s not just me!'

While a third added: 'Seriously BAFTA? No mention of Matthew Perry in the In Memoriam tribute? Very disrespectful.'

Source: X/@d_loughins.

The controversy was further fuelled by the inclusion of Tina Turner in the tribute, despite her being primarily known for her music career rather than her acting.

'Matthew Perry starred in films. Also wrote scripts and did production work. But BAFTA included Tina Turner as an… actor,' another user pointed out.

In response to the backlash, the official BAFTA account addressed the upset, stating, 'Matthew Perry will be remembered at this year’s TV Awards ceremony.'

The TV awards are expected to take place in May 2024.

Matthew Perry's untimely death was ruled an accident, with his autopsy report indicating that he had taken ketamine mixed with the opioid-like drug buprenorphine, as well as the weight loss drug Tamoxifen, anti-diabetic medication, and nicotine lollipops.

Perry had been trying to quit smoking as well as trying to lose weight.

Perry's struggles with addiction were also well-documented, and he was open about his battles with drugs and alcohol.

In his 2022 memoir, he wrote, 'Hi, my name is Matthew, although you may know me by another name. My friends call me Matty. And I should be dead.'

This poignant statement foreshadowed the details of his struggles that he would cover in the book.

Despite his personal struggles, Perry's professional achievements were significant.

He received one Emmy nomination for his role in Friends, and two more for appearances as an associate White House counsel on The West Wing.

His film career was also notable, with starring roles opposite Salma Hayek in Fools Rush In and Bruce Willis in The Whole Nine Yards.

Perry was laid to rest in an intimate ceremony at Forest Lawn Memorial Park in the Hollywood Hills. The service was attended by his Friends co-stars Jennifer Aniston, Matt LeBlanc, Lisa Kudrow, Courtney Cox, and David Schwimmer, who came together to bid their friend and colleague a final farewell.
Key Takeaways
  • The BAFTA Awards faced backlash for not including Friends actor Matthew Perry in the In Memoriam segment.
  • Matthew Perry, known for his roles in Fools Rush In and The Whole Nine Yards, passed away at age 54.
  • Social media users expressed disappointment and sadness over Perry's omission from the tribute.
  • The official BAFTA account stated that Perry would be remembered at the TV Awards ceremony, expected to take place in May 2024.
Our thoughts are with Matthew Perry’s family, friends, and fans. May he rest in peace.

Are you a fan of Matthew Perry? Share your favourite memories of Matthew Perry with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
I'm sure Matthew would've been quite put out about being left out ...

Let he who never made a mistake throw the first stone. It was sad but there are more serious problems in this world