Back to work: Seniors leading the charge in 'the great unretirement'

From coast to coast, older Aussies are defying conventional wisdom and embracing 'the great unretirement', breathing new life into their dormant careers.

Meet John Scott, the epitome of this trend, who shared his story with Yahoo Finance. After a whopping 50 years in the insurance game, he hung up his hat in 2021. At first, it was all sunshine and relaxation, with no emails to check or phones to answer. Pure bliss, right?

But soon enough, the novelty wore off. John, now a sprightly 68, found himself feeling a bit too young to be lounging around in his whites playing bowls. And just like that, the question hit him: ‘What else is there to do?’

His wife noticed the change too. Sensing his restlessness, she nudged him to consider getting back in the game. So, John did just that, applying for a gig at his local Coles in Mooloolaba. He hadn't applied for a job or been to an interview in his life! Yet, in a whirlwind of events, he got an interview and landed the job.

rEFy0OXCxtcChbRFxlfr2PqKrIM4ec_1oboRrXL_FefyJ8PnfNnpM4Sgz6huSWQtBay91V6cBRlJtyoIGNGDOqKAtf-OmFpGFz77MmqU4xgFqHtZmw3JSyld014uaPP7qB9pzCGgcpKE6UK4-GBddgo

John Scott was underwhelmed by retirement, which started a journey that led him to Coles. Image Source: Shutterstock

He has been loving life there ever since. His days of work have him happily overseeing cleaning and the trolleys. According to John, the benefits of being back in action far outweigh sitting at home twiddling his thumbs.

This whole 'great unretirement' gig? It's not just John. It's a whole movement. Over 179,000 Aussies aged 55 and up jumped back into the workforce between 2019 and 2022. Some did it for the social buzz, while for others, it boiled down to securing financial stability.

compressed-pexels-kampus-production-8422720.jpeg
Rising costs force pensioners to adapt. Image Source: Kampus Production/Pexels

According to a survey by National Seniors Australia, money was the main motivator for 60 per cent of pensioners and 46 per cent of non-pensioners getting back in the saddle. Chris Grice, the CEO of the seniors’ advocacy group, says it's all about keeping up with the rising costs.

For John, the best part of his new job is the people, hands down. At Coles, he has found a sense of belonging while rubbing elbows with folks of all ages. It's a far cry from his old insurance gig when he said the stress followed him home. Now, John can clock out and fully enjoy his time with his family without any guilt.

Let's not forget the perks. While John appears to have hit the jackpot, being paid to do what he loves. John didn't do it for the money. For him, it was all about keeping his sanity intact.

John’s story underscores the value of older workers in the job market. According to Grice, their wealth of experience is invaluable. ‘They've been through it all and can guide younger colleagues through the ups and downs,’ he remarked.

John agrees, noting how he enjoys mentoring younger colleagues. ‘We’ve all been rookies once, making mistakes and learning. It's all part of the journey,’ he reflected.

Now, here's the kicker: Australia's facing shortages in crucial sectors like aged care and childcare. Grice reckons the older folks itching to get back in the game could be the answer to our prayers.

So, what's John's advice to his fellow seniors? Embrace the change, folks. Don't be afraid to take the leap. You might just surprise yourself.
Key Takeaways

• Older Australians are embracing 'the great unretirement,' like John Scott, who returned to work at Coles after retiring from a long insurance career.
  • Financial stability and social engagement motivate many seniors to re-enter the workforce, addressing rising costs and finding fulfilment in their roles.
  • Seniors bring invaluable experience, mentoring younger colleagues and filling gaps in sectors like aged care and childcare, highlighting their significance in today's job market.
Though some may enjoy the peaceful bliss of retirement, it is important to remember that it isn’t for everyone. Many seniors have chosen to take the leap through the great unretirement, and we at the Seniors Discount Club know that you can do the same.

What do you think about the great unretirement? Would you take the plunge? We would love to hear from you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
Living in an over. 55 village a lot have gone back into the work force. There are so many advantages to social interaction and holidays with like minded people when you can splurge a bit of money on yourself. Good on them. I always seek out the senior staff at Bunnings - theyhave more experience

Reactions: Marj53
Good for John. I am still working part time but not so much by choice as by necessity. I doubt very much if I will be able to retire for a few more years at least, not sure if my health will hold up but will have to see how I go. I don’t believe retirees can be the answer to the shortage of age care and child care workers. These are very physically demanding, full on jobs, much better suited to younger bodies.

Reactions: maherdj and DLHM
Know any one that needs a good leather worker (hand crafted bags & belts etc--carved or embossed---i have all my own tools etc. .I am in PERTH W.A.

Many jobs available for bus drivers, good work for semi retired seniors with flexible hours but you'll need minimum MR licence.

Reactions: Gsr
Know any one that needs a good leather worker (hand crafted bags & belts etc--carved or embossed---i have all my own tools etc. .I am in PERTH W.A.
Get yourself a caravan or motorhome and go on the road. You can sell in the country towns and apply for stalls at country markets. Win win

Reactions: Gsr
I retired from office work at 67. Would have loved to have kept working but the company was taken over and the new owners went backwards and everything was handled twice. As it happened I would have had to retire as my mum was taken ill so had to look after her 24/7. I admire people who work after retirement age.

Hi Sean, I've been looking for such a man as yourself. I'm wanting to get a certain type of keyring purse made but know that's not my area of expertise.
Not sure what the protocol is for making contact through here.
Please reach out to me.
Jo🌻