Avoid a fine by steering clear of this surprisingly common Aussie driving act

Ah, the carefree days of yore when we would slip our grandkids in the backseat, hop behind the wheel in our favourite rubber thongs or sandals, and drive off into the beautiful Australian sun. Those golden times may now seem like a figment of our imagination, as today's increasingly strict road laws eventually catch up with these innocent, barefoot habits.

Australian drivers, especially those of us who have enjoyed decades of shoeless driving, are being alerted to a little-known road rule that might leave them slapped with a hefty fine (up to $481) and three demerit points.

1684473049761.png
Photo by Samuele Errico Piccarini on Unsplash

Now, before you start ransacking your mental index of road rules, let us clarify that driving barefoot or in sandals or thongs is not technically illegal. However, authorities have the power to penalise drivers for their footwear choice, or the lack thereof, on one condition: if they believe it contributed to a vehicular accident.

As stated under Road Rule 297 (1), drivers are obliged to maintain proper control of their vehicle at all times, steering clear of potential distractions. This rule applies universally across all Australian states, so there's no interstate escape from fines that are itching to catch your shoeless feet.

For instance, in New South Wales, the fine for footwear-related infringements stands at $481, accompanied by three demerit points. But beware, for driving sans shoes in a school zone escalates this penalty to $603 and four demerit points!

Meanwhile, Victorians, too, face a $387 fine and three demerit points for committing this offence.

Don't think you're safe if you prefer munching on snacks while driving, either. Transport and Main Roads Queensland warns that eating or drinking at the wheel can lead to 'serious' distractions, accumulating fines across all Australian states.

In Queensland, motorists who don't have proper control over their vehicles or drive without care or attention can be fined $575 and receive three demerit points.

The department explains that alternating between a distracting activity, such as 'a sandwich in your face', and keeping an eye on the road ahead forces you to 'change your frame of reference - which takes valuable time you might need in an emergency'.

'Obviously you're allowed to take a hand off the wheel for a short time to operate your vehicle, but eating while you're driving could be interpreted as not having proper control of your vehicle and driving distracted,' the department added on their Facebook page.

Preventive measures to avoid driver distractions​

Managing distractions while behind the wheel is a crucial step in ensuring not only your safety but the safety of other drivers and pedestrians around you. Here are some simple tips to help you stay focused on the road and keep your eyes off your phone or another distraction:
  • Keep your phone off and out of your reach: Even setting your phone to silent won’t deter you from wanting to have a quick peek. Make sure it’s well out of reach so you can’t be tempted to pick it up.
  • Plan your route: Know the route you’re taking beforehand and adjust your GPS or maps accordingly so you’re not distractedly searching for directions or struggling to read street signs while you’re driving.
  • Avoid eating and drinking: Do your best to eat and drink before or after your journey. If you need to take a sip of water while driving, try to minimise your time with the bottle and grab it with one hand while keeping the other on the wheel.
  • Be mindful of other passengers: If your car is filled with passengers, pay attention to their behaviour. If they’re talking or making too much noise, ask them to limit the conversation until you get to your destination. This prevents both you and your passengers from getting distracted.

Key Takeaways
  • Australian drivers are being warned of a little-known road rule that could result in a fine and demerit points.
  • Driving barefoot or in thongs and sandals could lead to penalties if police believe it contributed to a crash.
  • In NSW, the fine for not maintaining proper control of a vehicle is $481, with more severe penalties in school zones; Victoria penalises drivers with a $387 fine and three demerit points.
  • Eating or drinking while driving can also result in fines in all Australian states due to them being a serious distraction.
To the wise drivers among us, their message is clear: 'The law's there to keep us all safe, so maybe just scoff it down before you hit the road.'

Here at the Seniors Discount Club, we urge our readers to put safety first and take this opportunity to reassess their driving habits. Don't let a lousy $481 (or more) fine ruin your day! While we may reminisce about the carefree days of driving with the wind in our hair, it's crucial to face reality and make informed choices. Before embarking on your next adventure, why not slip into a pair of safe and secure shoes to ensure a comfortable and secure driving experience?

Sponsored
I don't think I would be comfortable driving in anything but proper footwear.
Barefoot is a foreign concept for me and thongs are out my eyeline as they incur terrible carnage on my feet.
I don't know how some women manage to drive at all wearing stilettos.
I can't imagine any problems with ugh boots/slippers, crocs or sandals.
Maybe the authorities need to introduce a fashion police person. Fluro animal print I think.

• Haha
Reactions: Shane/# and wendell
I don't think I would be comfortable driving in anything but proper footwear.
Barefoot is a foreign concept for me and thongs are out my eyeline as they incur terrible carnage on my feet.
I don't know how some women manage to drive at all wearing stilettos.
I can't imagine any problems with ugh boots/slippers, crocs or sandals.
Maybe the authorities need to introduce a fashion police person. Fluro animal print I think.
In 1966 my driving instructor told me never to drive barefoot, or in thongs, because if a pedal in use gets broken in an accident, its metal shaft could spear through my foot. That made me assume it was illegal....until now!

Reactions: Cool Lynda