Authentic Thai Basil Chicken Recipe

If you've ever travelled to Thailand, you know that the street food scene is one of the most vibrant and exciting culinary experiences in the world.

The explosion of flavours, aromas, and spices can be overwhelming, but it's also incredibly satisfying. One of the dishes that stands out is the authentic Thai basil chicken, a simple but delicious stir-fry that combines succulent chicken, fresh basil, and fiery chilli peppers.

I still remember the first time I tried this dish on a trip to Bangkok, and it was a revelation. The aroma of the basil and garlic, the tender bites of chicken, and the kick of heat from the chillies created an explosion of taste that I'll never forget.

Since then, I've been on a quest to replicate that same authentic taste in my own kitchen, and I'm excited to share a recipe I found that takes the cake!

IMG20230219192300.jpg
Homemade Chicken Thai Basil prepared by SDC’s Sean Camara. Credit: Seniors Discount Club.

Time: Roughly 30 minutes

Ingredients (serves one - increase measurements as required)
1 egg
3 tablespoons of oil for frying
1 chicken breast (or any other cut of boneless chicken, about 200 grams)
5 cloves of garlic
4 – 10 Thai chillies – when you fry the chillies, they aren’t as spicy
1 teaspoon of oyster sauce
1/2 teaspoon light soy sauce
1 splash of dark sweet soy sauce (you can use Indonesian kecap manis)
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 handful of basil leaves

First, fry the egg
  1. Heat about 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a wok or frying pan on high-medium heat.
  2. When the oil is hot and sizzling, drop in the egg. Let it sizzle and bubble up, and at the same time, splash some of the hot oil onto the top of the egg (don't flip the egg, unless you really want to).
  3. After the egg looks about right to your cooked likeness (I like mine runny), take it out, drain the excess oil, and put it on a plate for later.

Basil chicken
  1. Cut the chicken into small bite-sized pieces.
  2. Rinse and peel the garlic and chillies, and mince them with a knife. They don't need to be super fine, you just want to bring out the oils and flavours from the garlic and chillies.
  3. Pluck a good-sized handful of basil leaves off the stems.
  4. Now it's time to start cooking. Heat your wok on high heat, and add about 1 tablespoon of oil to the pan.
  5. When the oil is hot, add the chillies and garlic. Stir fry them for about 20 seconds or so until they get really fragrant, but don't let them burn or get too dry.
  6. Toss in your chicken. Keep stir-frying continuously. At this stage, you want to continue to stir and cook your chicken until it's just about fully cooked all the way through (depending on the size pieces of chicken and how hot your fire is, it should take about 2 - 3 minutes). If it starts to get dry, add just a tiny splash of water.

1. Add 1 teaspoon of oyster sauce, ½ teaspoon of light soy sauce, ½ teaspoon of sugar, and finally a splash of dark soy sauce. Keep stir-frying for about another 30 seconds.
  2. Grab a handful of basil, toss it into the pan, fold it into the chicken, and then immediately turn off the heat. The basil will continue to wilt and cook from the existing heat of the chicken. This step is important because if you cook the basil for too long, it loses some of its glorious flavours and gets slightly chewy.

This authentic Thai basil chicken recipe is a must-try for anyone who loves bold flavours and exotic cuisine. With its tender chicken, aromatic basil, and spicy chilli peppers, this dish is a perfect balance of sweet, savoury, and spicy.

While it may seem intimidating at first, the recipe is actually quite easy to follow and can be prepared in just a few simple steps.

Once you master the technique, you'll be able to recreate that same explosion of taste that you experienced on your trip to Bangkok.

So why not take your taste buds on a journey to Thailand and try this authentic dish today? Your palate will thank you!

Sponsored
If you've ever travelled to Thailand, you know that the street food scene is one of the most vibrant and exciting culinary experiences in the world.

The explosion of flavours, aromas, and spices can be overwhelming, but it's also incredibly satisfying. One of the dishes that stands out is the authentic Thai basil chicken, a simple but delicious stir-fry that combines succulent chicken, fresh basil, and fiery chilli peppers.

I still remember the first time I tried this dish on a trip to Bangkok, and it was a revelation. The aroma of the basil and garlic, the tender bites of chicken, and the kick of heat from the chillies created an explosion of taste that I'll never forget.

Since then, I've been on a quest to replicate that same authentic taste in my own kitchen, and I'm excited to share a recipe I found that takes the cake!

View attachment 14205
Homemade Chicken Thai Basil prepared by SDC’s Sean Camara. Credit: Seniors Discount Club.

1 egg
5 cloves of garlic
1/2 teaspoon sugar

First, fry the egg
  1. Heat about 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a wok or frying pan on high-medium heat.
  2. When the oil is hot and sizzling, drop in the egg. Let it sizzle and bubble up, and at the same time, splash some of the hot oil onto the top of the egg (don't flip the egg, unless you really want to).
  3. After the egg looks about right to your cooked likeness (I like mine runny), take it out, drain the excess oil, and put it on a plate for later.

Basil chicken
  2. Rinse and peel the garlic and chillies, and mince them with a knife. They don't need to be super fine, you just want to bring out the oils and flavours from the garlic and chillies.
  4. Now it's time to start cooking. Heat your wok on high heat, and add about 1 tablespoon of oil to the pan.
  5. When the oil is hot, add the chillies and garlic. Stir fry them for about 20 seconds or so until they get really fragrant, but don't let them burn or get too dry.
  6. Toss in your chicken. Keep stir-frying continuously. At this stage, you want to continue to stir and cook your chicken until it's just about fully cooked all the way through (depending on the size pieces of chicken and how hot your fire is, it should take about 2 - 3 minutes). If it starts to get dry, add just a tiny splash of water.

1. Add 1 teaspoon of oyster sauce, ½ teaspoon of light soy sauce, ½ teaspoon of sugar, and finally a splash of dark soy sauce. Keep stir-frying for about another 30 seconds.
  2. Grab a handful of basil, toss it into the pan, fold it into the chicken, and then immediately turn off the heat. The basil will continue to wilt and cook from the existing heat of the chicken. This step is important because if you cook the basil for too long, it loses some of its glorious flavours and gets slightly chewy.

This authentic Thai basil chicken recipe is a must-try for anyone who loves bold flavours and exotic cuisine. With its tender chicken, aromatic basil, and spicy chilli peppers, this dish is a perfect balance of sweet, savoury, and spicy.

While it may seem intimidating at first, the recipe is actually quite easy to follow and can be prepared in just a few simple steps.

Once you master the technique, you'll be able to recreate that same explosion of taste that you experienced on your trip to Bangkok.

So why not take your taste buds on a journey to Thailand and try this authentic dish today? Your palate will thank you!
Your recipe doesn't tell me what to do with the egg and it doesn't seem to be in the photo?

View attachment 14205

1 egg
5 cloves of garlic
1/2 teaspoon sugar

First, fry the egg

Basil chicken

What is the fried egg for?