Australians Unimpressed by Bizarre Overseas 'Tim Tam' Rip-Off

It's no secret that Australia is home to a lot of amazing things. From amazing beaches, the iconic outback, and of course, our wide range of delicious treats - there's so much about our homeland that non-Aussies can hardly contain their envy!

However, one treat stands out in particular as something we hold near and dear to our hearts. Not only is it incredibly tasty, but it also speaks to our laid-back and indulgent culture - Tim Tams!

For many Australians, the popularity of Tim Tams is a source of national pride, as they represent the unique blend of indulgence and laid-back charm that characterises the country's culture.

However, with Tim Tams being so well-loved and recognised globally, it's not surprising that other countries have tried to imitate this beloved treat.

Take, for example, the ‘Aussie-style’ Chocolate Creme Sandwich Cookies.

You read that right, members! American supermarket chain Trader Joe’s developed a treat that seems to rip off the beloved biscuit.

9n23a1erzwja1.png
The bizarre Tim Tams rip-off captured the attention of many Australians who were not impressed with the product. Credit: Reddit.

One American shopper recently took to social media to share the item they found in their local supermarket store.

Sharing a photo of the product on a Reddit group dedicated to Australians, they wrote: ‘Hey guys, from an American, are these the elusive Tim Tam?’

The post drew the interest of hundreds of Australians, many of whom conveyed their displeasure regarding a foreign brand's attempt to imitate the beloved snack. It seems that there's a certain something about the original Tim Tam that simply cannot be duplicated, wouldn't you agree?

One user wrote: A quick glance shows these are far inferior to Tim Tams. Calling them Aussie style is an insult. Saying it is a ‘cookie’ is the final straw.

‘Okay, seems like a resounding no,’ another said.

A third chimed in: ‘How un-Australian of them to refer to them as a cookie and not a biscuit.’

Someone provided an explanation for why the ‘weird Tim Tam rip-off’ is labelled as ‘cookies’ on the packaging.

They wrote: ‘For some reason, in the US, a “biscuit” refers to something entirely different. It's more similar to a type of bread roll than a sweet treat typically eaten instead of breakfast toast.’

Others went as far as to volunteer to send ‘real’ Tim Tams to the original poster.
One comment read: ‘Message me, I will mail actual Tim Tams to you, so you don't have to eat this abomination.’

But how different is it from the original Tim Tams? One user said that the biscuit might be more comparable to ALDI’s knock-off version of the beloved snack than the ones Arnott’s produce.

They explained: ‘It's Trader Joe’s, which is just ALDI with a different name (owned by the Albrecht family) - it's probably exactly the same product as the ALDI knockoff Tim Tams, which are actually really good.’

‘It's unlikely to be the original, but it's not like they have to suffer not tasting it.’

81LBNsrOkpL.jpg
Many people argued that the original Tim Tams will never be replicated. Credit: Arnott’s.

Others pointed out that the taste of the biscuit is also not on par with the iconic treat.

One user claimed: ‘They look similar, but if they’re covered in American chocolate, they won’t taste anything like the original.’

‘I saw somewhere an Aussie did a taste test and said while similar, they’re just not Tim Tams! Sorry,’ another shared.

Meanwhile, some users said that they were flattered by the fact that the local biscuit is admired globally.

One person wrote: ‘This makes me proud to be Aussie today - having a ‘homegrown’ and well-loved biscuit of ours craved worldwide.’

‘I’ll look upon them differently when I cruise down the bikkyy aisle of the supermarket now. It might even inspire me to buy a pack!’

Key Takeaways
  • Tim Tams are an iconic Australian product, beloved by locals and sought after by visitors.
  • An American shopper recently shared a photo of an 'Aussie-style' Chocolate Creme Sandwich Cookies from an American supermarket, prompting an unimpressed reaction from Australians.
  • Australians noted the differences between the knock-off product and the original, including the taste, packaging, name and ingredients.
  • However, some Australians found the imitation of the iconic biscuit to be flattering and a source of national pride.

Either way, members, we believe that this ongoing discussion demonstrates the great pride that Australians take in their national treasures, even our beloved Tim Tams.

What do you think about this product, members? Would you try it while abroad? Tell us your thoughts in the comments! We'd love to hear from you.

Sponsored
It's no secret that Australia is home to a lot of amazing things. From amazing beaches, the iconic outback, and of course, our wide range of delicious treats - there's so much about our homeland that non-Aussies can hardly contain their envy!

However, one treat stands out in particular as something we hold near and dear to our hearts. Not only is it incredibly tasty, but it also speaks to our laid-back and indulgent culture - Tim Tams!

For many Australians, the popularity of Tim Tams is a source of national pride, as they represent the unique blend of indulgence and laid-back charm that characterises the country's culture.

However, with Tim Tams being so well-loved and recognised globally, it's not surprising that other countries have tried to imitate this beloved treat.

You read that right, members! American supermarket chain Trader Joe’s developed a treat that seems to rip off the beloved biscuit.

View attachment 15559
The bizarre Tim Tams rip-off captured the attention of many Australians who were not impressed with the product. Credit: Reddit.

One American shopper recently took to social media to share the item they found in their local supermarket store.

Sharing a photo of the product on a Reddit group dedicated to Australians, they wrote: ‘Hey guys, from an American, are these the elusive Tim Tam?’

The post drew the interest of hundreds of Australians, many of whom conveyed their displeasure regarding a foreign brand's attempt to imitate the beloved snack. It seems that there's a certain something about the original Tim Tam that simply cannot be duplicated, wouldn't you agree?

One user wrote: A quick glance shows these are far inferior to Tim Tams. Calling them Aussie style is an insult. Saying it is a ‘cookie’ is the final straw.

A third chimed in: ‘How un-Australian of them to refer to them as a cookie and not a biscuit.’

Someone provided an explanation for why the ‘weird Tim Tam rip-off’ is labelled as ‘cookies’ on the packaging.

They wrote: ‘For some reason, in the US, a “biscuit” refers to something entirely different. It's more similar to a type of bread roll than a sweet treat typically eaten instead of breakfast toast.’

Others went as far as to volunteer to send ‘real’ Tim Tams to the original poster.
One comment read: ‘Message me, I will mail actual Tim Tams to you, so you don't have to eat this abomination.’

But how different is it from the original Tim Tams? One user said that the biscuit might be more comparable to ALDI’s knock-off version of the beloved snack than the ones Arnott’s produce.

They explained: ‘It's Trader Joe’s, which is just ALDI with a different name (owned by the Albrecht family) - it's probably exactly the same product as the ALDI knockoff Tim Tams, which are actually really good.’

‘It's unlikely to be the original, but it's not like they have to suffer not tasting it.’

View attachment 15560
Many people argued that the original Tim Tams will never be replicated. Credit: Arnott’s.

Others pointed out that the taste of the biscuit is also not on par with the iconic treat.

One user claimed: ‘They look similar, but if they’re covered in American chocolate, they won’t taste anything like the original.’

‘I saw somewhere an Aussie did a taste test and said while similar, they’re just not Tim Tams! Sorry,’ another shared.

Meanwhile, some users said that they were flattered by the fact that the local biscuit is admired globally.

One person wrote: ‘This makes me proud to be Aussie today - having a ‘homegrown’ and well-loved biscuit of ours craved worldwide.’

‘I’ll look upon them differently when I cruise down the bikkyy aisle of the supermarket now. It might even inspire me to buy a pack!’

Key Takeaways

• Tim Tams are an iconic Australian product, beloved by locals and sought after by visitors.
  • An American shopper recently shared a photo of an 'Aussie-style' Chocolate Creme Sandwich Cookies from an American supermarket, prompting an unimpressed reaction from Australians.
  • Australians noted the differences between the knock-off product and the original, including the taste, packaging, name and ingredients.
  • However, some Australians found the imitation of the iconic biscuit to be flattering and a source of national pride.

Either way, members, we believe that this ongoing discussion demonstrates the great pride that Australians take in their national treasures, even our beloved Tim Tams.

What do you think about this product, members? Would you try it while abroad? Tell us your thoughts in the comments! We'd love to hear from you.
Tim Tams are pricing themselves out of the market. I can't afford them anymore. The Aldi version "Just Divine" is less than half the price and tastes just as good. I have been buying them for ages.

Growing up in Scotland we had a biscuit called Penguin. When I came to Australia and was introduced to Tim-tams I said, “Oh, they’re Penguins”. Slightly different taste, but all chocolate tastes different here.

View attachment 15559

View attachment 15560

Key Takeaways

If it was the other way around they would try to sue us

Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci
Like the "CheeseQueen" I too relate Tim Tams to the Penguins I enjoyed as a kid in England. However I believe the Penguins were marketed individually wrapped and sold in a similar manner to kitkats. I wonder whether TimTams were as original as most Aussies believe. They too could have been a knock off.

Americans call scones, biscuits and they tend to eat them at breakfast. Hence, they use the term cookies, as biscuits was already taken.

To quote Pauline Hanson "please explain?"
Oh bud! You've never done a Tim Tam slam? Bit diagonally opposite corners off a Tim Tam, and have a cuppa ready (I prefer a flat white coffee, aka "flattie"). Dip one bitten corner into your drink and suck the drink up through the other corner. You then have a drink-infused, hot soggy bickie. You want to slam that down pretty quick or it's going to get choccy all over your duds! That's a Tim Tam Slam.

The true test for me would be if you could slam down a flattie with one

Slam down a flattie? I have no idea what that means! 🤣🤷‍♀️
Oh bud! You've never done a Tim Tam slam? Bit diagonally opposite corners off a Tim Tam, and have a cuppa ready (I prefer a flat white coffee, aka "flattie"). Dip one bitten corner into your drink and suck the drink up through the other corner. You then have a drink-infused, hot soggy bickie. You want to slam that down pretty quick or it's going to get choccy all over your duds! That's a Tim Tam Slam.