Australians Lose Over $3 Million to Bizarre Romance Scam!

In modern-day romance, the equivalent of Cupid, the legendary god of love, appears to have lost its shine.

Instead, cunning online fraudsters manipulate the vulnerabilities of hopeful romantics, leaving them in distress both emotionally and financially.

Although it may sound unbelievable, the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) has reported that Australians have suffered losses exceeding $3 million due to what they refer to as ‘romantic scams’.

compressed-love.jpeg
Dating apps have become breeding grounds for scams, where cybercriminals create fake profiles to establish emotional connections with unsuspecting users and ultimately defraud them financially. Image by athree23 from pixabay

This unfortunate reality adds a new interpretation to the phrase ‘bleeding hearts’, underscoring the financial and emotional toll inflicted upon individuals who fall victim to these fraudulent schemes.

Making this worse is a particularly malicious scam known as 'pig-butchering', which came from China.

According to Cyber Security Expert Adrianus Warmenhoven, the term holds a literal meaning.

Warmenhoven explains, ‘The scammer gains the trust of their victim (the pig) and lures them into a complex scam (fattens it up) before taking the victim's money (the butchering).’

The ACCC Scamwatch data reported in May alone that dating and romance scams had cost Australians a whopping $3.2 million, with women accounting for 73 per cent of the misappropriated funds.

In our increasingly digitised world, fraudsters employ various delivery methods for their scams, with mobile applications topping the list, followed by social networking sites and email.

Warmenhoven emphasises the scam's effectiveness due to our growing emotional disconnect in our high-tech era.

'This is actually the only scam at the moment that I know where scammers make an effort of having a personal connection with you,’ he said.

compressed-love2.jpeg
Common scams on dating apps involve requests for money, investment schemes, or attempts to extract personal and financial information from victims under the guise of a romantic relationship. Image by jennyueberberg from unsplash

He went on to add, ‘We see that this makes a real difference in a digital world where people don't have a lot of emotional contact. People are really thirsty for real interactions with people.’

The scam often escalates with the fraudster encouraging the victim to make investments in fraudulent cryptocurrency trading platforms.

This highlights how the swindlers seamlessly blend emotional tact with high-tech trickery to ensnare their victims.

Adrian Covich, senior director at cybersecurity firm Proofpoint, urges caution when dealing with financial matters online. ‘Always be wary when you're speaking to people; if you are ever asked for bank details it's smart practice to discontinue the call,’ he advised.

Further, spotting red flags in online conversation—the mention of considerable wealth, and a rushed eagerness to have you invest in crypto, can all point towards potential fraud.

Key Takeaways
  • A romance scam originating in China, known as pig-butchering, is increasingly defrauding online daters in Australia.
  • This scam involves cybercriminals developing close and personal relationships with victims on dating apps to gain their trust before swindling them out of their money.
  • According to ACCC Scamwatch data, Australians lost $3.2 million to dating and romance scams in May alone, with mobile apps being the most common delivery method for these scams.
  • Mr Warmenhoven warns of several red flags for potential victims of such scams, including an online partner talking about their wealth or rushing the victim into investing in a fraudulent cryptocurrency platform.
It's critical to remember that in this digital age, a happy heart and a well-guarded wallet must go hand in hand.

Don't let the throbbing hearts and fluttering cupids fool you. Be smart, be safe. Let’s ensure that the only thing we surrender to is love, not fraudulent scams.

Have you ever encountered suspicious or fraudulent activities while engaging in online dating or romance? Share your experiences and tips for staying safe in the digital realm of romance.

Sponsored
I would hope to think that people either dating on line or in the real world wouldn't disclose their wealth.

I would actually say I don't have anything that I'm a bit poor and then see if they stick around or become distant.

I know alot of single people want love but there is a right way about it.

Remember The Beatles song Can't BUY Me Love !

I had helped a Filipino bride once , she must have been late 20s and her Australian man late 60s.
She got a really nice dress , beautiful tiara, 3 pairs of earrings, necklaces and then said they were going shopping after this.

In the changeroom she told me she didn't love him but he brought her to Australia and buys her whatever she wants.
I don't know if I felt sorry for him or just felt what an idiot he was.
He was being scammed.

In modern-day romance, the equivalent of Cupid, the legendary god of love, appears to have lost its shine.

Instead, cunning online fraudsters manipulate the vulnerabilities of hopeful romantics, leaving them in distress both emotionally and financially.

Although it may sound unbelievable, the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) has reported that Australians have suffered losses exceeding $3 million due to what they refer to as ‘romantic scams’.

View attachment 24829
Dating apps have become breeding grounds for scams, where cybercriminals create fake profiles to establish emotional connections with unsuspecting users and ultimately defraud them financially. Image by athree23 from pixabay

This unfortunate reality adds a new interpretation to the phrase ‘bleeding hearts’, underscoring the financial and emotional toll inflicted upon individuals who fall victim to these fraudulent schemes.

Making this worse is a particularly malicious scam known as 'pig-butchering', which came from China.

According to Cyber Security Expert Adrianus Warmenhoven, the term holds a literal meaning.

Warmenhoven explains, ‘The scammer gains the trust of their victim (the pig) and lures them into a complex scam (fattens it up) before taking the victim's money (the butchering).’

The ACCC Scamwatch data reported in May alone that dating and romance scams had cost Australians a whopping $3.2 million, with women accounting for 73 per cent of the misappropriated funds.

In our increasingly digitised world, fraudsters employ various delivery methods for their scams, with mobile applications topping the list, followed by social networking sites and email.

Warmenhoven emphasises the scam's effectiveness due to our growing emotional disconnect in our high-tech era.

'This is actually the only scam at the moment that I know where scammers make an effort of having a personal connection with you,’ he said.

View attachment 24830
Common scams on dating apps involve requests for money, investment schemes, or attempts to extract personal and financial information from victims under the guise of a romantic relationship. Image by jennyueberberg from unsplash

He went on to add, ‘We see that this makes a real difference in a digital world where people don't have a lot of emotional contact. People are really thirsty for real interactions with people.’

The scam often escalates with the fraudster encouraging the victim to make investments in fraudulent cryptocurrency trading platforms.

This highlights how the swindlers seamlessly blend emotional tact with high-tech trickery to ensnare their victims.

Adrian Covich, senior director at cybersecurity firm Proofpoint, urges caution when dealing with financial matters online. ‘Always be wary when you're speaking to people; if you are ever asked for bank details it's smart practice to discontinue the call,’ he advised.

Further, spotting red flags in online conversation—the mention of considerable wealth, and a rushed eagerness to have you invest in crypto, can all point towards potential fraud.

Key Takeaways

• A romance scam originating in China, known as pig-butchering, is increasingly defrauding online daters in Australia.
  • This scam involves cybercriminals developing close and personal relationships with victims on dating apps to gain their trust before swindling them out of their money.
  • According to ACCC Scamwatch data, Australians lost $3.2 million to dating and romance scams in May alone, with mobile apps being the most common delivery method for these scams.
  • Mr Warmenhoven warns of several red flags for potential victims of such scams, including an online partner talking about their wealth or rushing the victim into investing in a fraudulent cryptocurrency platform.
It's critical to remember that in this digital age, a happy heart and a well-guarded wallet must go hand in hand.

Don't let the throbbing hearts and fluttering cupids fool you. Be smart, be safe. Let’s ensure that the only thing we surrender to is love, not fraudulent scams.

Have you ever encountered suspicious or fraudulent activities while engaging in online dating or romance? Share your experiences and tips for staying safe in the digital realm of romance.
Watch out for the Widows who have jobs usually in engineering or something unusual along with digitally enhanced photos- the pic of them in perfect focus and exceptionally well groomed usually (often black and white) looks as if stuck onto a blurred photo behind them. Also, they want to get you off the dating site onto WhatsApp, Hangouts or Google chat as opposed to wanting to talk on the phone- make sure they give you their number to call and when you do, prefix it with #31# so they don’t get your number until you are 100% sure they are honest.

View attachment 24829

View attachment 24830

Key Takeaways

Once again!
If anyone is stupid enough to fall for these scams then more fool them!
I have absolutely no sympathy whatsoever for stupid people!
Anyone willing to hand over money to someone they don’t actually know (long time friend in need or partner) or haven’t met face to face then they deserve to be scammed!
These scams would simply stop if people weren’t so stupid!

I would hope to think that people either dating on line or in the real world wouldn't disclose their wealth.

I would actually say I don't have anything that I'm a bit poor and then see if they stick around or become distant.

I had helped a Filipino bride once , she must have been late 20s and her Australian man late 60s.
She got a really nice dress , beautiful tiara, 3 pairs of earrings, necklaces and then said they were going shopping after this.

In the changeroom she told me she didn't love him but he brought her to Australia and buys her whatever she wants.
He was being scammed.
Sounds like you knew about this and did nothing.
The last 2 paragraphs certainly involve your input, she 20 he 60 alarm bells?
then in the change room she told you "I don't love him" alarm bells?
He was there, did you tell him what was said in the changeroom?

Reactions: Yvonne C.
I really wanted to but really it was not my business and she actually said in front off him that she spends his money and she gets what he wants so she gets what she wants. My jaw dropped and I looked at him and thought you STUPID man.

Would he have listened if I told him this ? I'm pretty sure he knew.

Surprisingly how many OLDER men came in with Asian brides and much younger than them.

Who knows what consequences could have come from me telling him what she said !
Complaint against me !
Bad reviews !
Sacked from my job for bringing an issue that wasn't work related and offending a customer!

He already knew

Interestingly I fid have a Filipino bride , yes she was marrying an older man but he actually treated and spoke to her bad , that one I did ask her in the changeroom if she was sure she wanted to marry him.

Last edited:
I remember in primary school and then on into high school and then when working on building sites. That there were far more men that didn't like women, than there were men that really did. My father was one of them and I grew up in that acidic loveless home-life environment and took mum's side.

It was everyday general conversation that guys talked about sl... and mo... and Bi..... really identified early that a LOT of young guys and later a LOT of men really didn't like talking or hanging around women and yet they all without changing much at all, still got married had kids and kept the cycle going.

I learnt early that the only sure-fire way to get someone sexually interested in me, was to do as everybody else did, go out get drunk and without talking too much, take them home.

The lucky dip is she a good person and likewise into me, or one of the women who likewise didn't care for men much just they felt horny, has had me interacting far more than most.

Acting abrupt dogmatic, arrogant and dismissive while shelling out money was the go too theme for attracting someone. The worst thing a man could do in my generation was to get into deep and meaningful conversations or engage in active listening...As we are friend zoned almost immediately.

I learnt to just ignore Adorable's, love the music and dance and what happened on the dance floor often led to romance, but internet sites are SCAMMMM spots and an utter waste of time.

The clocks still ticking, and she'll show up for me just as soon as I regain a bit of notoriety again as that is a grand attractor.

But why on earth women look on dating sites for love, when it's that guy you know, who you have friend zoned and talked about your failing or failed relationships for years, who is only a phone call invitation away guys.... just saying.

I remember in primary school and then on into high school and then when working on building sites. That there were far more men that didn't like women, than there were men that really did. My father was one of them and I grew up in that acidic loveless home-life environment and took mum's side.

It was everyday general conversation that guys talked about sl... and mo... and Bi..... really identified early that a LOT of young guys and later a LOT of men really didn't like talking or hanging around women and yet they all without changing much at all, still got married had kids and kept the cycle going.

I learnt early that the only sure-fire way to get someone sexually interested in me, was to do as everybody else did, go out get drunk and without talking too much, take them home.

The lucky dip is she a good person and likewise into me, or one of the women who likewise didn't care for men much just they felt horny, has had me interacting far more than most.

Acting abrupt dogmatic, arrogant and dismissive while shelling out money was the go too theme for attracting someone. The worst thing a man could do in my generation was to get into deep and meaningful conversations or engage in active listening...As we are friend zoned almost immediately.

I learnt to just ignore Adorable's, love the music and dance and what happened on the dance floor often led to romance, but internet sites are SCAMMMM spots and an utter waste of time.

The clocks still ticking, and she'll show up for me just as soon as I regain a bit of notoriety again as that is a grand attractor.

But why on earth women look on dating sites for love, when it's that guy you know, who you have friend zoned and talked about your failing or failed relationships for years, who is only a phone call invitation away guys.... just saying.
Totally agree with what your saying. Sounds like most of the guys I saw while dancing my nights away in a disco at the Cross.
Funny I remember so many times walking past work sites and guys whistling out and calling out and I would give them the finger to then be called a slut 🤨 I had only one boyfriend but loads of guy friends

A conversation I had with @ Da Freddo.
It would be interesting to know if any men on here have taken an Asian bride and if so are you still together.
An Asian country living woman partner does appeal, as you could be certain she would do at least her side of the house duties, as well as being a loving partner for saving her from the hard toil.

But THE ENTIRE focus of an Asian bride, according to my own survey, is the focus to send money home and to constantly go home for visits, or to bring their family out for visits. So you'd need to be a very rich guy to even consider an overseas partner.

As an older Aussie guy, I do often sense the attraction towards Asians, however common scents (and dollars) says not unless I lived overseas, or she was born in Australia.

Totally agree with what your saying. Sounds like most of the guys I saw while dancing my nights away in a disco at the Cross.
Funny I remember so many times walking past work sites and guys whistling out and calling out and I would give them the finger to then be called a slut 🤨 I had only one boyfriend but loads of guy friends
I am sorry you had that happen hey... its a common story.

Reading about or watching the scammed people tell their stories always make me incredibly sad. There are so many lonely people out there, especially people who seem to think that they can only be happy if they have a romantic partner. Lonely, vulnerable people so desperate for love that they believe an extremely attractive person, about 20 or more years younger than them, had fallen head over heels in love with them...

Reactions: Ezzy

View attachment 24829

View attachment 24830

Key Takeaways

Reading about or watching the scammed people tell their stories always make me incredibly sad. There are so many lonely people out there, especially people who seem to think that they can only be happy if they have a romantic partner. Lonely, vulnerable people so desperate for love that they believe an extremely attractive person, about 20 or more years younger than them, had fallen head over heels in love with them...

• Sad
Reactions: Gaena
Its a Saturday and as good a day as any to say something about friendships sexual relationships and why I personally reckon a lot of middle and older aged guys especially lack in libido.

When females get titillated, the blood rush to their privates its barely noticeable if she hides it.

Men however, we often don't have to even consider anything or anyone, maybe it's the trains motion and a glance that has a tendency to arise a circumstance that is entirely noticeable.

As teenage guys many of us just go with it as a directional finder that identifies interest. But as we get older, we have to distract our minds away and let all often-unconscious arising interest subside as it can cause all sorts of workplace issues.

Years ago, I was asked by an adorable very present woman friend during conversation if I could raise my awareness, please, as she didn't feel likewise attracted, and it surprised me to not realize I had left my motor running so to speak.

Base shakra heart shakra and mind shakra.. Friends meet heart to heart and generally we associated heart mind to heart mind.
What we energetically put out (emanate) or express is what we tend to get back, it's called the law of attraction.

As strange as it may sound all a person needs do is direct their attention towards their own base Shakra and then towards the base Shakra of an interested other and if they feel likewise energized, this tends to lead to a time of unclothed rapport.

Try it for yourself, if your partner is appearing disinterested just consider yourself and themself as you're watching a movie and let nature take its course.

As youngsters we are open to the world the same as females, however, as males especially get older, we are required to contain our appreciation for obvious reasons.

if he or she, has no interest then consider your own areas of interest and project your intent without saying a single word. This is what I feel to say in regard to the posted theme...

It just may change your day and if not you'll have a very warm and fuzzy feeling regardless.

A conversation I had with @ Da Freddo.
It would be interesting to know if any men on here have taken an Asian bride and if so are you still together.
I'll add my 5c worth here, gonna keep this vague. I worked in a factory with half dozen girls all from asian countries, and all with Australian husbands 20 yrs older. Got to know them quite well .... when she was 20 and he was 40 all went well, but these girls were all now 50ish and the hubbies retired. He wanted to stay home and go slow, but the 50 yr old females, still had a fair bit of life in them, still wanted to hit the casino etc. This was when the playing around started and the divorces.

Reactions: Pink lion
I'll add my 5c worth here, gonna keep this vague. I worked in a factory with half dozen girls all from asian countries, and all with Australian husbands 20 yrs older. Got to know them quite well .... when she was 20 and he was 40 all went well, but these girls were all now 50ish and the hubbies retired. He wanted to stay home and go slow, but the 50 yr old females, still had a fair bit of life in them, still wanted to hit the casino etc. This was when the playing around started and the divorces.
🫢

He was being scammed.
Sad isn't it? One would think at his age he wouldn't be prone to 'not seeing the wood for the trees'. Wonder if he had a pre-nuptials.

Reactions: Pink lion
I don't believe this was her business to say anything. He was possibly aware of this fact already. Alone & wanting company, perhaps?

Reactions: Gaena