Australians bewildered: Find out why this popular item disappeared from Coles shelves

In a surprising turn of events, a seasoning has vanished from Coles supermarket shelves across Australia, confusing many customers.

The culprit behind the sudden disappearance? A viral social media trend that has taken the country by storm.

The product in question is Mingle Seasoning's Everything Bagel ($3.95), seasoning, a versatile and flavourful blend that has become a staple in many Australian kitchens.

Jordyn Evans, the founder of Mingle Seasoning, was initially puzzled by the sudden surge in demand. Messages poured in from shoppers who could not find the seasoning in their local Coles.

1725496509898.png
After a salad recipe took over social media, Coles is sold out of Mingle Seasoning’s Everything Bagel mix. Credit: @logagm / TikTok and Coles

The mystery was soon solved when a video by user Logan, known as @logagm, went viral, amassing 34 million views.

In the video, Logan demonstrates how to make a delectable salad using an 'entire cucumber' and other ingredients, including the now-famous Everything Bagel seasoning.

‘What we did not think about is Mingle is the only Everything Bagel seasoning on Aussie supermarket shelves,’ she said.

‘And with everyone rushing to make Logan’s salad, our product flew off the shelves, and we have sold ten weeks worth of stock in one week.’

The recipe caught the attention of Australians nationwide, who rushed to their nearest Coles to recreate the dish. This led to a rapid sell-out of the seasoning.

The impact was so significant that Mingle Seasoning sold ten weeks' worth of stock in just one week, putting the business at risk of empty shelves for weeks.

In a scramble to meet the unexpected demand, Ms Evans implored their manufacturers to work over the weekend, ensuring that stock could start filtering through to stores again.

‘This particular Sunday, while I was meal prepping, I started reading the ingredients on the labels of the seasonings that I had in my pantry,’ she said.

‘Much to my surprise, I realised the mass-market seasonings I used contained a whole lot of nasty ingredients.’

‘Sugars, high amounts of salt, emulsifiers, preservatives, numbers and ingredients I couldn’t pronounce.’

‘I no longer felt confident consuming these products, which prompted an idea.’

The partnership between Mingle Seasoning and Coles began in 2019, from Ms Evans's frustration with the hidden ingredients in mass-market seasonings.

She was shocked to discover sugars, high amounts of salt, emulsifiers, preservatives, and other unpronounceable ingredients in her home seasonings.

This revelation led to Mingle Seasoning, which provides healthier and more transparent seasoning options.

However, the viral trend has come with its hazards.

Australian food influencer Bec Hardgrave warned about the potential dangers of preparing the cucumber salad, mainly when using a mandolin slicer.

Ms Hardgrave, who has a substantial social media following, suffered a severe injury while slicing cucumbers without the safety guard that comes with the mandolin.

‘It was my first time using a mandolin. I’d just bought it from Kmart and didn’t realise it came with a guard until after the fact,’

‘I didn’t think to look 'cause I hadn’t seen other people using a guard when doing their cucumber trend videos.’

‘But it took a good chunk of my flesh off, which sounds disgusting because it was.’

‘The cut went all the way down to the fat layer of my skin, and I had to go to the emergency department.’

The accident was severe enough to require a trip to the emergency department, prompting her to share her experience to caution others about the importance of using the mandolin correctly.

‘All of the videos I had seen go viral were of people using the mandolin just like I had, without the safety guard,’ Ms Hardgrave.

Like others on the market, the $12 Kmart mandolin slicer includes a finger guard to prevent such accidents.

In other news, Bounty bars have been scarce in Australian supermarkets due to stock shortages.

Mars, the company behind Bounty, has clarified that the issue stems from capacity constraints at their European factory, not from any plans to discontinue the product. You can find more details here.
Key Takeaways
  • The Everything Bagel seasoning from Mingle Seasoning has sold out at Coles due to a viral social media trend involving the product in a salad recipe.
  • Mingle Seasoning has experienced unprecedented demand, selling ten weeks' worth of stock in just one week, causing the product to vanish from shelves.
  • The sudden popularity of the seasoning stemmed from a video by Logan (@logagm), where he used it in a recipe, leading to many Australians replicating the dish.
  • Australian food influencer Bec Hardgrave warned about the dangers of using a mandolin without a safety guard after sustaining a serious injury while attempting the salad trend.
Have you been caught up in the Everything Bagel seasoning craze? Or have you learned some valuable kitchen safety tips the hard way? Share your experiences with us in the comments below.

• Haha
Reactions: Dynamo and NotNats
Sponsored