Australian's Bali nightmare could happen to you: The critical travel insurance mistake you MUST avoid

Traveling abroad can be an exhilarating experience, offering a chance to explore new cultures, cuisines, and landscapes. Bali, with its enchanting temples, stunning beaches, and warm hospitality, has long been a favorite destination for Australian tourists seeking a tropical escape. However, as the harrowing experience of one Australian family demonstrates, the dream vacation can quickly turn into a nightmare without the right travel insurance coverage.

Kayla Heagney, a 29-year-old from Newcastle, along with her partner Nicola Fox, 30, and their two-year-old son, embarked on what was meant to be a relaxing family getaway to Bali. Tragically, just days into their trip, Kayla began experiencing severe abdominal pain. The situation escalated rapidly, and she found herself in the intensive care unit of a Balinese hospital, facing a dire diagnosis: something was seriously wrong with her pancreas, and immediate treatment was necessary to avert the worst.

The couple's distress was compounded by the treatment Kayla received, which they described as 'inhumane.' Kayla was subjected to a feeding tube and medication without proper explanation, and when she was unable to move due to the numerous tubes attached to her, she was given little assistance or comfort. Nicola, meanwhile, was left pleading with their travel insurance company back in Australia, desperately seeking coverage for the mounting medical bills that had already reached $5,000.

compressed-bali.jpeg
Kayla Heagney cut her Indonesia holiday short after feeling intense pain in her stomach. Image Credit: Pexels/Stijn Dijkstra

The ordeal underscores a critical warning for all travelers: comprehending the fine print of your travel insurance policy is not just a tedious task to be glossed over; it is an essential step in safeguarding your health and financial well-being while abroad. The couple had taken out what they believed to be comprehensive cover with Budget Direct, but when they needed the insurer most, they were initially met with reluctance to pay the medical costs upfront. Moreover, they were warned that leaving the hospital against medical advice could potentially void their claim.

This cautionary tale is not unique, and it serves as a stark reminder that not all insurance policies are created equal. Natalie Smith, a spokesperson for 1Cover, advises travelers to meticulously review their policies, ensuring that all relevant factors, such as age and pre-existing health conditions, are accounted for. She also highlights the importance of choosing an insurer that offers an emergency assistance service, as a 24-hour hotline can be invaluable during a crisis.

The couple's harrowing experience culminated in a risky decision to discharge Kayla against medical advice, embarking on a grueling journey back to Australia where she was finally diagnosed with acute pancreatitis. Back home, doctors confirmed that much of the treatment she received in Bali was unnecessary, and crucial hydration measures were neglected.

Now, as they recover from their traumatic ordeal, Kayla and Nicola share their story not to deter others from visiting the beautiful island of Bali, but to educate and urge fellow Australians to be vigilant with their travel insurance choices. Their message is clear: invest the time to understand your policy, ensure you have the right cover, and don't let a lack of preparation turn your dream vacation into a distressing battle for health and financial survival.

Members of the Seniors Discount Club, many of whom are seasoned travelers, can take this story to heart. As we age, the importance of having robust travel insurance becomes even more pronounced. Pre-existing conditions and the unpredictability of health mean that a comprehensive policy isn't just a safety net—it's a necessity.

Key Takeaways

• An Australian tourist experienced a medical nightmare in Bali and highlighted the importance of having appropriate travel insurance.
  • The woman claimed that the treatment she received in a Balinese hospital was 'inhumane' and inadequate for her condition of acute pancreatitis.
  • After significant difficulties dealing with their travel insurer, the couple warns other Australians about the importance of understanding insurance policies and ensuring comprehensive coverage.
  • Experts advise travellers to read the fine print of their insurance, consider pre-existing conditions, and ensure their chosen policy includes a 24-hour emergency assistance hotline.

We invite you to share your own experiences with travel insurance in the comments below. Have you ever faced difficulties with your policy while abroad? What tips can you offer to ensure a safe and secure trip? Your insights could be invaluable to fellow travelers and help prevent another nightmare like Kayla and Nicola's from occurring.

• Angry
Reactions: natalielocket
Sponsored
Budget Direct's underwriter is Auto & General Insurance Company Limited. Read the online reviews. Not great reading. They also underwrite most of the cheaper insurance options. My parked car was sideswiped and the lady kindly left her details. I took my vehicle to a good local panel beater who arranged a replacement car for me. I called Auto and General and they said I had to use Hertz as they were their preferred contractor. I asked what the excess would be and they said $1000. I laughed at them as the accident wasn't my fault and they wanted me to accept the risk on the hire car. I went with my panel beater's arrangement and drove a near new vehicle with zero excess. Some time later they asked me for permission to sue Auto and General in my name as they hadn't paid the cost of the car hire. I agreed but haven't heard anything since. Stick with GIO, NRMA or any company with a well known underwriter. Read the reviews before you sign up.

The insurance broker (Budget Direct) should bear some of the accountability as it promoted the insurance company that provided the travel insurance policy. Unless the brokers and middle-men are brought to the table they will continue to walk away when trouble occurs.

We've always used Cover More (which is underwritten by Zurich Australian Insurance Limited) when we travel overseas. While we've never had any problems necessitating an insurance claim, we believe that the our insurance provider is pretty well-known and respected (fingers-crossed).

In these days of tight budgets and financial constraints many people will be tempted to minimise the costs of travel by being frugal with insurance cover or totally going with one. I think that when the poo hits the fan, you will wish that you shouldn't have scrimped on insurance.

In the many years that I’ve flown overseas to different destinations, I never purchased travel health insurance and fortunately have never needed it.

That is until December 2018. I purchased insurance due to heart issues, and I felt assured I’d be covered. Long story short, I still had to pay for ambulance and ED admission costs while I was away. Was charged only Cdn$1200, but I still felt ripped off by the insurance company. Will take my chances if I have anymore overseas trips.

People go to third world countries so they can get a cheap holiday and are surprised to get third world treatment? Everywhere is not as lucky as Australia. Looks like they saved on their insurance policy as well.