Australian Seniors Vote on Voluntary Assisted Dying

It’s a sensitive and often contentious topic but the SDC community tackled it head-on last Sunday. The question? Should Voluntary Assisted Dying be legal in all Australian states/territories?

That’s right, we’re looking at the results of another Your Say Sunday poll.

Currently, while legislation has been passed in all states to allow for Voluntary Assisted Dying, it still remains illegal in the territories (ACT and NT).

So, what did the SDC community have to say about Voluntary Assisted Dying in Australia?

Let’s take a look.

Should Voluntary Assisted Dying be legal in all Australian states or territories (1).jpg
The results are in! Credit: Seniors Discount Club

With 57 votes, a whopping 86.4% voted ‘Yes (ACT and NT should legalise)’.
The ‘No (shouldn’t be legal)’ votes came to 10.6% (7 votes).
Two members (3.0% of recipients) chose to explain their views in the comments.

For those who missed it, it was a lively discussion with over 50 thoughtful replies to the prompt. You can read the original poll and all replies here.

But for those who would prefer a summary, here’s what your fellow SDC members had to say.

In support of Voluntary Assisted Dying being legalised Australia-wide:

Member @Heather Watson kicked off the discussion, commenting: ‘Why is it so much trouble for Australia to have one law on this and a lot of other matters. Let's get together on one thing so people do not have to move to another state to have their wishes fulfilled.’

Member @NotNats: ‘Voluntary Assisted Dying is the right of every Australian citizen.’

Member @John.RS agreed, saying: ‘This comment is totally correct and describes what we all face; our inevitable death. I have witnessed first-hand, the passing of a person that every step had been taken to extend their life when all they wanted to do was to end their pain and suffering.’

Member @SandraD22: ‘I agree with the above statements supporting the law. As a Registered Nurse who worked for many years in the aged care sector, it was heartbreaking watching my residents deteriorating and unable to recognise family members or suffering ongoing pain and disability. As an individual, we should always have the right to make our own choices regarding the quality of our life and death.’

Member @Marghw raised a very interesting point: ‘I am concerned that people who have dementia are not able to access VAD despite any planning or inclusion in their Advanced Health Directive. Let us not forget that dementia, like cancer, is a terminal condition, and yet sufferers are not afforded the same rights.’

Member @ChrisTasmania aptly summarised: ‘If I, or someone else, wants to die, for whatever reason, what right does anyone else have to make the decision to keep them alive?’

And finally, member @tpw1961 offered a very personal and touching account of their experience. This is a longer comment but absolutely worth a read:

‘I have had the privilege of being involved with 2 people who have been able to use the VAD system to end their suffering on their terms.’

‘The first was a friend who had terminal COPD. He had spent his final few years struggling to get around, finally needing a scooter to even go out into the fresh air on his verandah. Then for his last 14 months, he was completely bedridden, barely able to eat, struggling to breathe let alone hold a conversation. He was exhausted 24/7, totally reliant on others for all of his needs, wearing continence aids for his bowel and with a catheter and he felt his life had no upside to it any more. Watching him struggle to do even the smallest thing was so hard. Until I started caring for him, I didn't realise just how much effort goes into something as simple as having a drink or a small bite to eat. Using VAD gave him the opportunity to put all his affairs in order, for friends and family to say their last goodbyes and then, in the presence of his children, he took the medication and quietly and peacefully closed his eyes and passed away. This man had been a very active, healthy man for the majority of his life, so to go downhill so quickly, and be reliant on medication and other people to get through a single day was so really difficult. To be able to control this final moment in his life was such a huge relief to him. He was just short of his 70th birthday.’

‘The second person was my own mother. For over 10 years, she had suffered from first one, then another form of cancer. These cancers caused serious incontinence after growing through the wall of her bladder, and then later, she had to have a colostomy bag after yet another cancer destroyed a section of her bowel. The ostomy would block causing vomiting and intense pain which would hospitalise her. Sometimes the blockage was such that she would actually be vomiting faeces. Can you imagine doing that? But if your body is blocked at one end, it has no choice but to find another exit. During this time, she also took a fall which broke her back, so yet another source of pain. Just when you think she's had more than her fair share, she was found to have yet another tumour, this one right at the site of the break in her back. This lady was incredibly strong. She would be chatting with you and you would have no idea she was in excruciating pain, but within the next half hour, she would have to be taken to the hospital. Some people think that using VAD is taking the easy way out, but I watched this woman do everything in her power to keep going. She was taking all the medications and painkillers her Doctors gave her and still, it wasn't enough. Finally, she couldn't take it anymore and on the day she passed, she could barely lift her head off her pillow. To watch her take the medication, and less than 5 mins later she was gone, was heartbreaking as her child, but at the same time, a relief knowing she would no longer be suffering. Only a few days prior, she had helped to plan her memorial service, she had written her own eulogy and put all her affairs in order. She passed knowing she was loved by her family and friends. She was just shy of 83 years old.’

shutterstock_528854752 (1).jpg
What would you choose? Credit: Shutterstock

Against Voluntary Assisted Dying being legalised Australia-wide:

Member @Vet543: ‘In 1989, a young woman aged 31 years was almost screaming with back pain. It seemed that this would be a lifetime affliction. She begs my fiancee to help her acquire a chemical to cause her death. I was asked about doing this and I said NO. Why? Well, I believed that the pain would be resolved and she could go on living a fruitful life. 6 weeks later a doctor decided that an operation MAY help reduce the pain. So the operation took place and within 14 days she was relieved of the pain.’

They continued: ‘There are enough states to visit for a death wish… Forcing it on states that say NO is only trying to justify YOUR opinion.’

Member @Catsy said: ‘I have always been against it, can't help it, it is just the way I feel. What if something happens that could change the situation?’

Member @Staffordshire Whippet: ‘If Saint Peter hates queue-jumpers as much as I do, that is enough to stop me doing it.’

Middle ground:

Member @TATTOO: ‘I have mixed feelings about this subject my concern is will it become too easy to take your own life that scares me but on the other hand I’ve had loved ones die a very slow and painful death so of course for this kind of situation I believe it would be preferable to give that person the choice it’s a very difficult subject with so many different scenarios most humans choose life so if they are choosing the alternative they must have a good reason.’

Member @Suzanne rose said: ‘As a Christian, I would not do it. ‘

‘I do however believe most people do have a choice as to whether they want to end their life or not. In saying this the person needs to be of sound mind and at least their doctor and 2 other doctors need to sign off on it plus another person of authority.’

‘Today you can be in pain and then it can change. I had a friend who was 10 weeks pregnant and was bleeding badly. The doctor told her there was no way the baby would be alive with that much bleeding. They put her in hospital for a curette and at the last minute the nurse agreed to bring in a machine to check if there was a heartbeat. And there was, to cut a story short she went full term with no further problems and gave birth to a healthy boy. If it was for this nurse, my friend's baby would have been aborted. Sometimes we don't and can't see how something we feel won't change can actually change.’

‘If a relative or close friend decided to end their life like this, I wouldn't help them do it but I would be there with them, holding their hand and praying.’

I’d like to end on a comment from member @starrysnan: ‘This subject needs to be talked about more so everyone can have a much better understanding of what is involved and not be such a taboo subject.’

I agree with @starrysnan and hope Your Say Sunday provides a comfortable platform to discuss such questions. Do you have a question you’d like tackled? You can email us your suggestion at [email protected]. We’d love to hear from you!

I want to thank everyone who was brave enough to share their thoughts and stories. I especially want to commend the empathy shown in the comment section; I am always proud to be a member of the SDC community but especially so in situations such as this where kindness is so evident.

Have a wonderful day, members!

Reactions: Jarred Santos
Sponsored
Let me tell you a story.
There was a beautiful little village with so many nice people. They never fought, killed, argued or bullied each other, in fact, it was the opposite and Little Lenny was so happy and at peace with the lovely family he was born into.
Well, Utopia is a hard status to upkeep, particularly when someone starts talking conspiracies and suffering etc.
When Jim Jones Lemming came along to preach and convince people of his theories, Little Lenny was shocked and stunned that everyone was believing and following him.
Lemmings.jpg
We all know the story of the Lemmings and also the absolutely astounding story of Jim Jones and Jonestown USA.
Finally, Little Lennie went searching for someone else who was not persuaded by Jim Jones Lemming and rebuilt his
Utopia. His heart never recovered from the pain of losing all his closest relatives .. He said,"They never even saw the cliff".
Sad but sometimes true.