Australian government bans the use of credit cards for online gambling

For many Australians, the convenience of placing bets online has been a double-edged sword.

While it has allowed for easy participation in various forms of wagering, it has also increased the risk of gambling with funds that individuals may not possess.

This, in turn, leads to financial and emotional distress for Aussies engaging in these activities.

To lessen the potential harm of online gambling, the Australian government implemented a ban on the use of credit cards for all online gambling activities.

This significant regulatory shift, which took effect this past Tuesday, is part of a broader crackdown aimed at protecting vulnerable community members and reducing the financial risks associated with gambling.

The new legislation addressed this concern by prohibiting using credit cards—including those linked to digital wallets and digital currencies like Bitcoin—for online gambling transactions.

Non-compliance with these new laws will rack up fines of up to $234,750 for companies that fail to adhere to these regulations.

compressed-gambling.jpeg
Several statistics and reports highlight the widespread nature of gambling activities among Australians. Image Credit: Pexels/Pixabay

The online gambling industry had a six-month adjustment period, signalling the government's commitment to a responsible transition.

According to a report by the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare, Australians lose approximately $25 billion to legal forms of gambling annually, translating to the highest per capita losses globally.

Two in five adults engage in a form of wagering weekly, and nearly half of Australian men spend money on gambling activities monthly.

This staggering figure highlighted the importance of effective regulatory measures.

Communications Minister Michelle Rowland was vocal about the legislation's intent, emphasising the need to protect Australians from the dangers of gambling.

'Australians should not be gambling with money they do not have,' Rowland said.

'Last year, the Albanese Labor government committed to banning credit cards for online wagering, and we delivered.'

'This ban builds on the significant progress to minimise gambling harm that the Albanese government has made over the past two years, which is already benefiting thousands of vulnerable Australians,' Rowland concluded.

The credit card ban aligns with recommendations from a parliamentary inquiry that advocated for a gradual elimination of gambling advertisements over the next three years.

The online wagering group Responsible Wagering Australia expressed its support for the new credit rule.

However, the group—which represented companies like Bet365, SportsBet, and Unibet—also called for expanding the ban to include online lotteries and Keno.

'If consumer protection measures aren't consistent across all forms of gambling, it will incentivise vulnerable Australians to move to less-regulated types of gambling, where they are more at risk of harm,' Chief Executive Kai Centwell said.

As we navigate these new regulations, we must be aware of the changes and understand the implications for their online activities.

The government's actions reflect a growing recognition of the need to promote responsible gambling and to provide a safer environment for all Australians.
Key Takeaways

• The Australian government recently prohibited the use of credit cards for online wagering in a bid to reduce gambling-related harm.
  • The ban includes credit cards linked to digital wallets and digital currencies like Bitcoin, with companies facing substantial fines for non-compliance.
  • Communications Minister Michelle Rowland emphasised that the ban is part of ongoing reforms to protect vulnerable Australians from gambling.
  • The ban is in response to recommendations from a parliamentary inquiry, with Australians reportedly losing about $25 billion to legal forms of gambling annually.
  • Responsible Wagering Australia endorsed the new rule and suggested extending the measures to encompass online lotteries and Keno.
What are your thoughts on the credit card ban for online gambling? Do you think it will effectively reduce gambling harm, or are there other measures you believe should be taken? We would love to hear your opinions in the comments below.

Sponsored
So how are people going to pay for online gambling? I don’t gamble myself, but I am curious. Is this basically going to ban online gambling altogether? Not a bad thing, but what exactly is the plan? Forcing people to empty their bank accounts?

Yes - we do our Lotto online and we used our credit card via PayPal - don't spend much each month. This is just another form of control and treating those of us who don't engage in other forms of gambling like fools- in other words we are too dumb to know what we are doing. Well I just switched it to our debit card and continue on - how long before we have to do the same with that?

If you have to pay by using credit to gamble, you obviously should not be gambling.
For us it is more convenient and has been for years - as well it kicks up our rewards for end of year for gift vouchers for Xmas. We use our card for everything each month and pay it in full each month so what is the problem?

Reactions: Kelpie and Gsr
Err,, I think you have the wrong end of the stick Bruce.
CREDIT CARDS are used to spend money that you don’t have in your bank and you are borrowing the money you spend from the financial institution.
DEBIT CARDS are used and can still be used to spend the money that you already have in your account.

hahahaha - did you know a lot of places see DEBIT CARDS as a Credit Card. Read the very fine print with your accounts. I only have Debit Cards but when looking at them you will see the "Master Card" logo. And I am forever having to update the details as the "auto check" at some place's see it as a credit card and stops the "Auto Payment" going through.

i have a credit on my sports bet which i use occasionally. Am I to be penalised because of some idiot? We have become a society that needs to be led by the nose by the government on everything. those with a problem have to work things out themselves first and foremost.

So how are people going to pay for online gambling? I don’t gamble myself, but I am curious. Is this basically going to ban online gambling altogether? Not a bad thing, but what exactly is the plan? Forcing people to empty their bank accounts?
You can still use Debit cards and Savings accounts. And you will only be gambling with your own money.

So when did government begun to be our moral compass. I understand Gambling can be a problem, but it's not up to them so say what we do with our money. They are slowly reducing our freedom of choice and our freedom in general.

So when did government begun to be our moral compass. I understand Gambling can be a problem, but it's not up to them so say what we do with our money. They are slowly reducing our freedom of choice and our freedom in general.
They are not telling you what to do with your money. They are telling you what to do with somebody else's money. That should be obvious.

Former compulsive gambler here. It will make no difference. Punters will just take cash out of their credit card, put it straight into their debit card, and continue as usual, gambling on credit. It's easy to do, I did it regularly.

They are not telling you what to do with your money. They are telling you what to do with somebody else's money. That should be obvious.
Splitting hair here. They are telling you what you can and cannot do with your credit card. Even when I had one I paid it off Monthly. So Ultimately it would be my money.

You can still use Debit cards and Savings accounts. And you will only be gambling with your own money.
No you won't be gambling with your own money, compulsive gamblers, I used to be one willdraw cash out of their credit card and put it in their debit card and continue gambling on credit. It won't stop until the gambler stops his/ her self.

Reactions: Kelpie and Gsr
In the days of olde, before I had a debit card, I had a TAB account which I regularly topped up with a credit card.

Come time to make a cash withdrawal at a TAB or PUBTAB agency and the account was frozen. Withdrawals were not allowed until the balance of the credit card deposit had been exhausted.

So this is nothing new....it has just had a change of clothes.

I think the fact we don't have pokie machines in WA is a great thing. The is still a big gambling problem in WA We have mining the other states get their revenue from the machines, cigarettes & alcohol so that why they won't be banned!.

Reactions: Gsr
That is not going to stop people from gambling. It will however annoy those that are having to use debit cards and not cash. It is their right to use whichever way they want to gamble. It seems day to day we the people are losing our freedom to do as we wish and use what we wish to purchase not only gambling bets but other purchases! I don't have an account for betting but I feel that the person that does are being discriminated against!

Reactions: Kelpie and Caron