Australian Football Hall of Famer and South Fremantle legend Steve Marsh passes away at 99

Australia has lost one of its most illustrious sporting legends.

Steve Marsh, a titan of the Western Australian Football League (WAFL) and revered South Fremantle icon, passed away at the age of 99.

Marsh's journey began in 1945 when he made his debut for South Fremantle as an eager young athlete.

His raw talent and indomitable spirit quickly became apparent, setting the stage for a stellar career that would etch his name into the annals of Australian football history.

GH4iD5XagAA70DF.jpeg
May Steve Marsh rest in peace. Image source: X/@SFFCBulldogs.

Over the years, Marsh played a whopping 226 games for the club, bringing home six premierships, four best and fairest awards, the prestigious 1952 Sandover Medal (Brownlow equivalent), and the 1953 Simpson Medal (Norm Smith equivalent).

He was regarded as one of South’s three greatest players ever, alongside John Todd and Stephen Michael.

Yet, in a significant twist in his career, Marsh made an unexpected move in 1956 when he crossed to South Fremantle's fierce rival, East Fremantle, for a sizeable transfer fee.

This was a bold decision that rocked the local football scene.

Marsh swiftly led East Fremantle to a premiership as captain-coach.

He ended his playing days at East Fremantle, but his heart always remained with South Fremantle—the club that had welcomed him into the world of WAFL.

In a personal request at the age of 89, Marsh asked to be 'traded' back to South Fremantle.

'I don’t want to make a fuss with all of this, but if it can be arranged, I would like to pass on eventually as a South Fremantle player,' Marsh said.

'I know it sounds st***d that an 89-year-old bloke is asking for a clearance.'

'I have a lot of great friends at East Fremantle, and I went there as their first-ever outside coach appointment for the money at the time.'

'It’s as pure and simple as that, and I know when I kick the bucket that my medals will be going to stay with South.'

'I just want to be officially back where it all started for me.'

'It would just make what days I have left a lot more comfortable to me as a South Fremantle player, where I did spend the largest part of my career.'

He was re-signed to the club as South Fremantle drew up a 'contract' and welcomed him back to the club with open arms.

South Fremantle President Peter Christie also said that the club paid a minimal fee to make his transfer official.

'He wasn’t travelling all that well health-wise (in 2014), and we all know that he finished his career at East Fremantle (but) he wanted to die a Bulldog,' Christie shared.

'We paid East Fremantle a dollar to get him back, and he has died a Bulldog.'

Steve Marsh's legacy extends far beyond his on-field achievements.

Inducted into the Australian football Hall of Fame in 2006 alongside other greats like Tony Lockett and Peter Matera, Marsh's influence on the sport has been profound.

'Arguably, he is our greatest ever player,' Christie said.
Key Takeaways
  • Australian Football Hall of Famer Steve Marsh has passed away at the age of 99.
  • Having played a significant role in WAFL, he is recognised as a South Fremantle legend, returning to the club even after his success with East Fremantle.
  • He had an illustrious career with South Fremantle, winning multiple premierships, individual awards, and being considered one of the club's greatest ever players.
  • South Fremantle honoured his wish to pass away as a Bulldog, completing an official 'trade' back to the club years after his retirement.
In a career that spanned 15 years, Marsh's football journey was a testament to his enduring love for the game. Steve Marsh may have left the field, but the impact he had on Australian football, the community of South Fremantle, and the hearts of sports fans around the country will remain, steadfast and unassailable.

Our thoughts are with Marsh’s family, friends, and colleagues during this difficult time.

May he rest in peace.

Sponsored
Wonderful man and player. He will be missed by everyone but in particular South Fremantle & East Fremantle football clubs, may he RIP!

Reactions: Ezzy
What an illustrious career. Love the fact that at 89 years of age he requested a transfer back to South Frem.

Condolences to his family. May he RIP.