Australia secures first Men’s T20 World Cup victory

The Australian Men’s cricket team faced New Zealand in the early hours of Monday morning and have secured their first T20 World Cup victory!

Rzcdr3YjQZrTwnkbmZOQCFvoW1BjwYHtGdO2Zy4vfrOA9HHgCFugZqgM7xkM3cv9cIgSRrQe3cY6adY9Eel0BT3HeSgrkPzqpYlNgDYB7384frCbbePpVyJjFWtqSMUyE-3KZ3MB

The T20 World Cup title has been won by Australian women’s team five times, but has escaped the men for fourteen years. Photo from Twitter.

After coming into the tournament with a series of losses to the West Indies and Bangladesh, there were little expectations for Australia’s male cricketers. But luck seemed to be in their favour when they comfortably won by 8 wickets with a little over 1 over to spare, with Mitchell Marsh and David Warner guiding the Aussie team to victory.

Australian team captain Aaron Finch said in an interview, “This is huge. To be the first Australian team to be able to do it, (I’m) so proud of the way the guys went about the whole campaign.”

After the team came in at 1-15 after the third over, 31-year-old cricketer Marsh began to set the tone for his commanding innings of 77 not out from 50 balls by hitting an 86-metre six and two boundaries from the first three balls he faced from Kiwi paceman Adam Milne.

His best form continued and brought up the fastest 50 in a World Cup final on his way to the tournament-winning innings.

“I just wanted to get out there and have a presence,” Marsh said. “What an amazing six weeks… World Champs.”

uNyHzXCJH7OntnZuTDAFduILyou2-HkbHuNRrm4w2-FV2Qnp1xkaMlFfP-_lMxnd08LOA0ND9WZ--ms5Zup2tcZP5H0HMq8dApq_x0yHBE7H3t5_VE9K9IIRRmoZsRsZnaJrgVre

Mitchell Marsh was described as the ‘architect’ of Australia’s victory. Photo from Twitter.

The Australian team had a slow start, with only one run in Trent Boult’s opening over.

But after seeing Australian skipper Aaron Finch dismissed poorly with a badly-timed pull shot that was caught by Daryl Mitchell in the third over, Warner and Marsh started to get aggressive with their approach.

The pair brought the score to 1-82 (the highest 10-over score by a team in a World Cup final) at the halfway mark, compared to their rival NZ’s 1-57 at the same stage.

Three balls after the break Warner brought up his 50 with a six off Neesham.

In the 13th over, Boult was reintroduced. He bowled Warner (53 from 38 balls) to bring his side back into the contest at 2-107.

But Marsh kept his focus to deliver the team’s most-awaited victory for the five-time 50-over world champions.

The Australians finished on a high when Marsh was named man of the match, while Warner was named player of the tournament.

"I feel like a lot of people say this, but I don't really have words right now. What an amazing six weeks with this group of men. I love them to death, and now we're world champs. I can't believe it. It's unbelievable,” said Mitchell Marsh, player of the match.

Finch, the team’s captain, said, "It is a huge honour to be able to lead this Australia team. I'm so proud of the way the guys went about it from the start - they were brilliant. I'm so proud.”

"We knew our backs were against the wall going into the Bangladesh game, but if you keep putting peoples backs against the wall enough, they are going to fight. We certainly did that."

The Australian team's opener and player of the tournament David Warner said, "I am always pumped. We just wanted to put on a great spectacle. There were some nerves with a good total on the board, but it was great that the guys were able to deliver."

Carlos Brathwaite, the West Indies all-rounder said that the brave team won the tournament.

"New Zealand just looked like they didn't want to lose, and Australia looked like a team that wanted to win. Australia are deserving champions."

Sponsored