Australia Post stamps to cost more as living expenses soar

In the midst of an already challenging cost-of-living crisis, Australians are bracing themselves for yet another price hike.

This time, it's the humble postage stamp that's set to become more expensive following a draft proposal approved by the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC).

Australia Post will increase the price of a regular stamp by 30 cents, taking it from $1.20 to $1.50.

Larger letters aren't exempt, either.

Those up to 125g will see a 60-cent increase to $3, while those weighing up to 250g will rise by almost a dollar, from $3.60 to $4.50.

SDC 1.png
Australia Post announced a price hike on mail stamps. Image source: Australia Post.

ACCC Deputy Chair Mick Keogh acknowledged the impact this could have on consumers and small businesses.

However, he also highlighted that these changes are unlikely to bring in added revenue for AusPost.

'Australia Post's ordinary letter delivery remains a crucial national service. However, it faces increasing financial pressure in a landscape now dominated by digital forms of communication,' Keogh said.

This comes after reports that Australia Post is grappling with a challenging landscape.

While the number of delivery addresses across Australia is expected to grow by about 200,000 per year, the volume of letters delivered is forecasted to decline by 11.3 per cent a year until 2025-26.

Gary Starr, Australia Post’s Executive General Manager, described the situation as an 'unstoppable decline' of letters in the modern era, which has contributed to a $200 million loss last financial year.

'That 30 cents still doesn't cover—or get us anywhere near covering—the cost of delivering letters, but it's taking us in the right direction,' Starr explained.

'We've got the support we need, you know, in the short-term, we'll continue to work with [the] government on that.'

The proposed stamp cost increases would not apply to concession stamps or stamps for seasonal greeting cards, according to Australia Post.

For the average Australian, who sends about 15 letters per year, the price increase is expected to result in an additional cost of $4.50 per year.

However, the impact on businesses could be more significant, potentially forcing them to pay more for their postal services.

AusPost is repeatedly holding open submissions until February 15 before making a final decision.

This gives consumers and businesses an opportunity to voice their concerns and potentially influence the outcome.

Submissions should be sent via email to [email protected].

Members of the SDC voiced their opinions on the proposed hike in our previous articles.

Member @Liz said: 'I would rather pay a bit more and get my items by postie. Banks and other institutions still send statement by mail.'

Member @Pink lion added: 'I love the postal service and even though there seems a great call to put everything digital…I much prefer humans retaining their employment or gaining new employment. So, due to rising costs, I shall continue to support post office workers.'

While member @Judy HB said: 'Everything seems to be going up [a lot] not just a bit! I did not expect a stamp to cost $1:50 soon! I feel for those struggling to make ends meet.'
Key Takeaways
  • The ACCC has approved a proposal for Australia Post to increase stamp prices.
  • A regular stamp's price is set to rise by 30 cents to $1.50, with larger letters incurring higher increases.
  • Despite the rise, Australia Post's executive general manager, Gary Starr, expressed the increase won't fully cover the cost of letter delivery.
  • There will be no price increase for concession stamps or seasonal greeting card stamps, and businesses may face higher costs due to the proposed changes.
Members, what are your thoughts on the upcoming stamp price increase? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
In the midst of an already challenging cost-of-living crisis, Australians are bracing themselves for yet another price hike.

This time, it's the humble postage stamp that's set to become more expensive following a draft proposal approved by the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC).

Australia Post will increase the price of a regular stamp by 30 cents, taking it from $1.20 to $1.50.

Those up to 125g will see a 60-cent increase to $3, while those weighing up to 250g will rise by almost a dollar, from $3.60 to $4.50.

View attachment 39983
Australia Post announced a price hike on mail stamps. Image source: Australia Post.

ACCC Deputy Chair Mick Keogh acknowledged the impact this could have on consumers and small businesses.

However, he also highlighted that these changes are unlikely to bring in added revenue for AusPost.

'Australia Post's ordinary letter delivery remains a crucial national service. However, it faces increasing financial pressure in a landscape now dominated by digital forms of communication,' Keogh said.

This comes after reports that Australia Post is grappling with a challenging landscape.

While the number of delivery addresses across Australia is expected to grow by about 200,000 per year, the volume of letters delivered is forecasted to decline by 11.3 per cent a year until 2025-26.

Gary Starr, Australia Post’s Executive General Manager, described the situation as an 'unstoppable decline' of letters in the modern era, which has contributed to a $200 million loss last financial year.

'That 30 cents still doesn't cover—or get us anywhere near covering—the cost of delivering letters, but it's taking us in the right direction,' Starr explained.

'We've got the support we need, you know, in the short-term, we'll continue to work with [the] government on that.'

The proposed stamp cost increases would not apply to concession stamps or stamps for seasonal greeting cards, according to Australia Post.

For the average Australian, who sends about 15 letters per year, the price increase is expected to result in an additional cost of $4.50 per year.

However, the impact on businesses could be more significant, potentially forcing them to pay more for their postal services.

AusPost is repeatedly holding open submissions until February 15 before making a final decision.

This gives consumers and businesses an opportunity to voice their concerns and potentially influence the outcome.

Members of the SDC voiced their opinions on the proposed hike in our previous articles.

Member @Liz said: 'I would rather pay a bit more and get my items by postie. Banks and other institutions still send statement by mail.'

Member @Pink lion added: 'I love the postal service and even though there seems a great call to put everything digital…I much prefer humans retaining their employment or gaining new employment. So, due to rising costs, I shall continue to support post office workers.'

While member @Judy HB said: 'Everything seems to be going up [a lot] not just a bit! I did not expect a stamp to cost $1:50 soon! I feel for those struggling to make ends meet.'
Key Takeaways

• A regular stamp's price is set to rise by 30 cents to $1.50, with larger letters incurring higher increases.
  • Despite the rise, Australia Post's executive general manager, Gary Starr, expressed the increase won't fully cover the cost of letter delivery.
  • There will be no price increase for concession stamps or seasonal greeting card stamps, and businesses may face higher costs due to the proposed changes.
Members, what are your thoughts on the upcoming stamp price increase? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below.
Hmmm I wondered why they were closed on Tuesday for an 'UPGRADE' ..... The only upgrade was the price.....

Reactions: maherdj
Well if y'all want to use the email rather than use Australia Post for writing to friends, rellies and corporations to pay bills, whaddya expect? Australia Post is national resource and asset and y'all allowed Keating to split the telecommunications service from the mail service and subsequent loser-pays governments to privatise you friendly local Post Office shops to contractors............

With compulsory voting Australia gets what it votes for and if y'all wannabe stupid and vote Tory, learn to live with the results! They are never beneficial to the Australian "community", which is why we have a housing problem and homelessness and food-banks.

View attachment 39983

Key Takeaways

I don't get it....if Australia Post did their job right would we need postage to go up ? Over half of the letters that I get the stamps have not been stamped.....

And this IS why people are sending through email rather than Australia Post.

Apparently they are delivering letters every 2nd day, starting sometime this year.

With Australia posts continually putting prices up they are only pushing more people to send via email .

I send and receive through email and why not it's very and arrives instantly and no worry about mail being stolen .

Well if y'all want to use the email rather than use Australia Post for writing to friends, rellies and corporations to pay bills, whaddya expect? Australia Post is national resource and asset and y'all allowed Keating to split the telecommunications service from the mail service and subsequent loser-pays governments to privatise you friendly local Post Office shops to contractors............

With compulsory voting Australia gets what it votes for and if y'all wannabe stupid and vote Tory, learn to live with the results! They are never beneficial to the Australian "community", which is why we have a housing problem and homelessness and food-banks.
What's Tory? That's not something I have ever heard of in Australia. We vote Liberal, National, Labour or any one of the minor parties who do nothing for us any way.

Every small business knows that you don't get out of financial trouble by increasing the price of your products. You solve this problem by increasing your service so why can't this public service follow this & increase the service not their price while they decrease service?

Reactions: Davmes

View attachment 39983

Key Takeaways

all this will do is to stop people who send letters or cards to family members or even parcels each month. Way to go Australian Post, you are now becoming one of the biggest death keels to small Home Made Business in Australia.
I used to make around 150 Happy Birthday, Anniversary or other celebration cards (T=$180 postage only) per year and about 100 Christmas cards per year (T=$65 postage only). The cost of postage only will go from about $245. per year to about $290. and that's only if 2024 Xmas stamps stay at $0.65 per stamp.
Being on a very limited budget I no longer able to afford send cards to anyone.

So here's another lovely pastime activity gone from my life.

View attachment 39983

Key Takeaways

Charging more for reduced service leads in one direction only....... to the bottom. Unless Aus Post can compete with all the courier companies, they may not exist past 2025.

Reactions: Davmes and maherdj
It is definitely making it difficult for alot of people to send cards especially at Christmas.. nothing like receiving cards in the mail but it is dying out out that is for sure and you can understand why. I still send cards overseas but alot of people just won't be able to. And sometimes Christmas and birthdays are the only times you communicate and thanks to Australia Post that will be dead and buried. So the volume of mail will be substantially less going forward. Not smart thinking.

It would appear that AustPost is in the throws of a slow & painful death. Better to choose euthanasia & shut shop now so that independent couriers can jump on the bandwagon & start serving the communities need for a reliable, economical mail service.

Read the article. It says that there will be no change to concession stamps or seasonal greeting cards.
Watch this space later in the year - Never trust anyone who states "No Change to" as it always changes within X amount of time.

View attachment 39983

Key Takeaways

I'm wondering if the "oldies" stamps are going to cost more as well, We/ve been lucky so far with them staying at 60c

Reactions: NotNats