Australia mourns: AFL icon Matt Rendell, 64, and Late Queen's friend David Ogilvy, 97, have died

As time passes, we occasionally find ourselves bidding farewell to genuinely outstanding individuals who've touched our lives and made significant marks on society.

Recently, two such men, each a towering figure in their respective fields, passed away: AFL legend Matt Rendell and the late Queen's long-term friend, David Ogilvy, 13th Earl of Airlie.

Today, we remember their milestones, contributions, and unique lives.

Beginning with Matt Rendell, this AFL giant left us too soon at 64. Known for his highly physical style of play and relentless drive, Rendell's prowess in the AFL world was unrivalled.

When he wasn't busy playing, scoring, or clutching the ball, he was engaged in electrifying fans with his intense gameplay.

'Matthew passed away this afternoon after suffering a cardiac arrest Sunday morning,' his family shared on Wednesday.

They also sent their appreciation to the efforts of first responders and the staff at the Victorian Heart Hospital, who did their utmost to help Matt.

Throughout his illustrious career, Rendell showcased his skills as a star ruckman with West Torrens in the SANFL before officially joining Fitzroy in 1981, where he played 164 games for the club over the next decade.

Rendell was more than just a player; he was a two-time Fitzroy club champion, captaining the team for three years, and was named in the All-Australian team in 1983 and 1987.

Not content with his achievements on the field, he took his learnings off the pitch, becoming one of the game's top recruiters and administrators. After retiring from Fitzroy, he had a stint in the Brisbane Bears and concluded his playing career after one season in Queensland.

The AFL world will forever remember Rendell's contributions on and off the field. He left a footprint as an ardent enthusiast of the game.

Screen Shot 2023-06-29 at 9.30.27 AM.png
Rest in peace, Matt Rendell and David Ogilvy. Credit: lions.com.au (left), Twitter/RoyalDickie (right).

Having farewelled one great life, let us turn our attention to a man whose impact and intrigue extend across the globe. David Ogilvy—13th Earl of Airlie, a friend of Queen Elizabeth II—has died aged 97.

Born in the windswept beauty of Scotland, Ogilvy had an early brush with royalty, serving as a page to his father, the 12th Earl of Airlie, at the coronation of King George VI and Queen Elizabeth in 1937. Just a month younger than Queen Elizabeth, the two leaders became firm allies after meeting at his birthday party.

In perhaps one of the most charming stories of royal encounters, Ogilvy recalled the first time he met Elizabeth, 'My father said to me “I think it would be very nice if you invited Princess Elizabeth to have a ride in your present” - this little motor car. I said, “Certainly not. This is my birthday, this is my car, and nobody else is going to have a ride in it.” '

After the queen's death, David served as King Charles' Chancellor of the Thistle, playing a vital role during the monarch's coronation.

Ever a key royal figure, he was frequently portrayed in popular culture, including the 2006 film The Queen, by actor Douglas Reith and Martin Turner in The Crown.

Ogilvy's passing drew an outpouring of condolences from followers. Tributes flowed in, with words of remembrance such as 'Oh no, this is so very sad. Such a lovely man; what a life. But he was wonderful.'

Key Takeaways

• AFL legend Matt Rendell has died at the age of 64 due to a heart attack, as confirmed by his family.
  • Rendell played a key role in the Australian Football League both on and off the field, with a significant stint as a recruiter and administrator after he retired from playing.
  • The late David Ogilvy, 13th Earl of Airlie and a valued friend of Queen Elizabeth II, died at the age of 97.
  • Born just a month after Elizabeth in 1926, the two became firm friends after meeting at his childhood birthday party.

Both Rendell and Ogilvy have left an irreplaceable void, yet they've left us with a treasure trove of memories. Today's reflection reminds us of their rich contributions, their character, and the monumental influence they had. They've moved on but have left footprints etched in the sands of time.

We sincerely extend our deepest condolences to their families and all those mourning the loss of these two great men. May they rest in peace.

Sponsored
As time passes, we occasionally find ourselves bidding farewell to genuinely outstanding individuals who've touched our lives and made significant marks on society.

Recently, two such men, each a towering figure in their respective fields, passed away: AFL legend Matt Rendell and the late Queen's long-term friend, David Ogilvy, 13th Earl of Airlie.

Beginning with Matt Rendell, this AFL giant left us too soon at 64. Known for his highly physical style of play and relentless drive, Rendell's prowess in the AFL world was unrivalled.

When he wasn't busy playing, scoring, or clutching the ball, he was engaged in electrifying fans with his intense gameplay.

'Matthew passed away this afternoon after suffering a cardiac arrest Sunday morning,' his family shared on Wednesday.

They also sent their appreciation to the efforts of first responders and the staff at the Victorian Heart Hospital, who did their utmost to help Matt.

Throughout his illustrious career, Rendell showcased his skills as a star ruckman with West Torrens in the SANFL before officially joining Fitzroy in 1981, where he played 164 games for the club over the next decade.

Rendell was more than just a player; he was a two-time Fitzroy club champion, captaining the team for three years, and was named in the All-Australian team in 1983 and 1987.

Not content with his achievements on the field, he took his learnings off the pitch, becoming one of the game's top recruiters and administrators. After retiring from Fitzroy, he had a stint in the Brisbane Bears and concluded his playing career after one season in Queensland.

The AFL world will forever remember Rendell's contributions on and off the field. He left a footprint as an ardent enthusiast of the game.

View attachment 23629
Rest in peace, Matt Rendell and David Ogilvy. Credit: lions.com.au (left), Twitter/RoyalDickie (right).

Having farewelled one great life, let us turn our attention to a man whose impact and intrigue extend across the globe. David Ogilvy—13th Earl of Airlie, a friend of Queen Elizabeth II—has died aged 97.

Born in the windswept beauty of Scotland, Ogilvy had an early brush with royalty, serving as a page to his father, the 12th Earl of Airlie, at the coronation of King George VI and Queen Elizabeth in 1937. Just a month younger than Queen Elizabeth, the two leaders became firm allies after meeting at his birthday party.

In perhaps one of the most charming stories of royal encounters, Ogilvy recalled the first time he met Elizabeth, 'My father said to me “I think it would be very nice if you invited Princess Elizabeth to have a ride in your present” - this little motor car. I said, “Certainly not. This is my birthday, this is my car, and nobody else is going to have a ride in it.” '

After the queen's death, David served as King Charles' Chancellor of the Thistle, playing a vital role during the monarch's coronation.

Ever a key royal figure, he was frequently portrayed in popular culture, including the 2006 film The Queen, by actor Douglas Reith and Martin Turner in The Crown.

Ogilvy's passing drew an outpouring of condolences from followers. Tributes flowed in, with words of remembrance such as 'Oh no, this is so very sad. Such a lovely man; what a life. But he was wonderful.'

Key Takeaways

• AFL legend Matt Rendell has died at the age of 64 due to a heart attack, as confirmed by his family.
  • Rendell played a key role in the Australian Football League both on and off the field, with a significant stint as a recruiter and administrator after he retired from playing.
  • The late David Ogilvy, 13th Earl of Airlie and a valued friend of Queen Elizabeth II, died at the age of 97.
  • Born just a month after Elizabeth in 1926, the two became firm friends after meeting at his childhood birthday party.

Both Rendell and Ogilvy have left an irreplaceable void, yet they've left us with a treasure trove of memories. Today's reflection reminds us of their rich contributions, their character, and the monumental influence they had. They've moved on but have left footprints etched in the sands of time.

We sincerely extend our deepest condolences to their families and all those mourning the loss of these two great men. May they rest in peace.

Never heard of either of them.

Also don't like aerial ping pong, here in QLD we like the real football NRL!!!

View attachment 23629

Key Takeaways

Rest in peace both of them. Amen!

Never heard of either of them.

Also don't like aerial ping pong, here in QLD we like the real football NRL!!!
I remember Princess Alexandra and Lord Ogilvy going past our school when I was 10, they were here to represent the Queen for something, but his name was etched in my brain as well as Princess Alexanra as well