Australia’s oldest woman shares secrets to reaching 110 years old!

Living a healthy and vibrant life as one reaches their golden years is a remarkable feat, yet it's a challenge many strive to conquer.

With time seemingly working against us, maintaining vitality and well-being becomes increasingly difficult.

In this article, we explore the journey of an individual who has defied the odds, embracing their hundreds with resilience and determination to lead fulfilling lives filled with vitality and health.

Lorna's philosophy is simple yet profound: 'I just keep on keeping on.'

‘I've always liked exercise, fresh air, being interested in people, and being active all the time.’

unnamed (10).png
Lorna Henstridge marked her 110th birthday surrounded by her extensive family. Credit: 9News Adelaide/ Facebook

Born on June 6, 1914, in Adelaide, Lorna spent her youth on her parents' farm near Bute, on the Yorke Peninsula.

Her early education involved a horseback ride to the train station with her father and a train journey to school—a routine that quickly proved impractical.

Lorna then moved to Adelaide to live with her grandmother, attending Unley School and St Peters Girls' School.

During World War II, while working at a library for soldiers, Lorna met her future husband.

They married in January 1945 and shared a love for golf, with Lorna dedicating over 30 years as the secretary of the Keith Golf Club.

Her active lifestyle didn't stop there; even after moving to a nursing home five years ago, Lorna continues to walk around the garden and hallways daily and exercises in her room.

But it's not just physical activity that keeps Lorna sharp. She indulges in crosswords, reading, and thrice-weekly outings with her daughter, Jennie Jacobs, who is 77.

‘That, I think, contributes to why she's as fit as she is,’ Ms Jacobs stated.

‘Even if she's feeling unwell and I'll say to her 'would you like to go out?' she will always say 'yes' and so out we go.’

Lorna's life is rich with family connections, including a son, another daughter, seven grandchildren, and eight great-grandchildren.

Despite becoming Australia's oldest woman—a title that attracts a fair share of media attention—Lorna remains humble and focused on enjoying life.

‘I don't really appreciate it, I don't think,’ she said.

‘I just feel much the same except a little bit debilitated, but I can still enjoy things and wish I could do what the young do.’

Genetics might also have played a role in Lorna's longevity, with her mother living into her 90s and her grandmother surpassing 100.

She reflected on how her mother never wanted her age to define her.

‘I remember her as she never, ever wanted anybody to know how old she was — ever,’ Hendstridge shared.

‘I think she was something like 90 or 95 before she ever let anybody know her age, so she's never been one for wanting people to know that, I think, so now she's thinking 'now I've got there, now everybody knows.’

As the entire country knows her age, Lorna has become a symbol of what it means to live a fulfilling life.

Interestingly, the second oldest woman in Australia, Mavis Turner, also resides in South Australia and is set to turn 110 next week. This remarkable coincidence has people pondering the lifestyle and environment of South Australians.

Before Henstridge claimed the title, Australia's oldest woman also hailed from South Australia. She held the title of Australia's oldest person and the oldest Dutch person in the world. She recently passed away at the venerable age of 111

Her grit and adaptability throughout her life inspire, showing that the things you do in life matter, not the length of it.

You can explore how she has resilently lived out her long years here.
Key Takeaways

• Lorna Henstridge, Australia's oldest woman, celebrated her 110th birthday in Bordertown, South Australia.
  • Ms Henstridge attributes her long life to exercise, fresh air, interest in people and being active all the time.
  • She became the oldest woman in Australia last month and is the second-oldest person in the country.
  • Despite her age, Ms Henstridge remains active by walking daily, doing leg exercises, and engaging her mind with crosswords and reading.
What do you think are the keys to a long and fulfilling life? Have you found certain habits or attitudes contributing to your well-being as you age? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below.

Last edited:
Sponsored
You always hear of the fact that there is constant activity, never stopping, exercising, never resting, remaining social +++
I bet there are a lot of inactive unsocial oldies (probably happily watching TV) who just can't be bothered letting you know & suffering all the hype. It all seems a bit contrived you get to live a L O O O N G time but only if you do the "right things" .... I agreed with Lorna's mother.