Australia’s inflation crisis captured in one 'shocking' supermarket photo

It’s no secret that the last year has been a financially tough time for Australians, with basic expenses climbing higher than ever.

And it turns out that the rising cost of living is having a particular effect on one of our most beloved snacks – chips.

A recent photo taken at a Coles supermarket drove home the harsh reality of the inflation crisis in Australia, highlighting the nation's struggle with increasing food prices.

In the photo, Coles was selling two bags of Kettle chips at a ‘special’ price of $11 – which many shoppers have labelled as ‘a joke’.

Chip prices have soared in recent months due to low crop numbers and rising production costs.

chips1.jpg
A current Coles ‘special deal’ left shoppers confused. Credit: Srattha Nualsate/Pexels

Global investment bank UBS confirms that prices of dry food items have risen by a hefty 9.4 per cent in the last 12 months, with chips experiencing an astonishing 40 per cent price increase.

These figures come from collated data tracked from over 60,000 items at Australia’s biggest supermarkets, ALDI, Coles, and Woolworths.

The price increases left Australians ‘shocked’, with many taking to social media to express their disappointment about the cost of a snack that once sold for around $3 per 165g bag.

Melbourne woman, Letisha Malakooti, shared her disbelief in a recent video, saying, ‘Literally shocked, I asked the staff at Coles six times if this was right…’ she said in a recent video posted on her social media page.

chips2.jpg
Letisha said she thinks Coles’ promotion is ‘messed up’. Credit: Letisha Malakooti/TikTok

‘Two packets of chips for $11, I thought, “Maybe it's wrong”, but the next one is two packets of chips for $11 too. Since when? What happened to the dollar thirty-five packets?’ She continued.

‘Anyway, I spoke to him, and it’s not wrong. That is the price. I seriously think Coles has messed up.’

Letisha also asked her viewers if anyone could explain ‘what is going on here’, which prompted many social media users to share their own experiences with the current economic situation of the country.

‘Yeah, I nearly had a heart attack really when Woolies wanted over $6 for Kettle chips,’ one wrote.

While someone else agreed and said: ‘I hear you. It’s ridiculous! I’ve seen another packet for $10. It’s a joke.’

‘It’s insane that the chips are so expensive,’ another commented.

You can watch her video below:

Woolworths explained earlier this year that ‘poor growing conditions’ resulted in not enough potatoes being produced to meet consumer demands. This also caused the prices to soar.

As of writing, Coles has yet to release a statement regarding the matter.

Snack Brands Australia CEO Paul Musgrave revealed that rising manufacturing costs have pushed up the prices of some of the nation's favourite snacks.

Musgrave estimates that the price rise will be ‘somewhere like 30 to 50 cents a bag of potato chips’.

‘We’re going to have to take a price rise early in the new year to cover the cost of gas and also the agricultural products that we buy – like corn and potatoes – because all those things have skyrocketed as well,’ Musgrave explained.

chips3.jpg
In a post on Reddit, the same chips brand is revealed to have a price of $7.20 when not discounted. Credit: Reddit

A Woolworths spokesperson stated that they are currently selling a 165g bag of Kettle chips for $3.60 as part of their special deals promotion.

‘Value is more important to our customers than ever, and that's why we offer around 6,000 specials every week,’ the spokesperson said, acknowledging the role of supermarkets in these challenging times.

‘Right now, a range of Kettle chips are on special for $3.60 – which we know will come in handy for long weekend entertaining,’ they added.

Unfortunately, rising prices affect more than just snacks. The impact of inflation looms over the entire cost of living, reminding us of the importance of practical financial planning, as well as finding ways to manage our budgets.
Key Takeaways
  • A Coles ‘special’ deal offering two bags of Kettle chips for $11 has highlighted the toll inflation is having on households as food prices continue to soar.
  • The cost of chips has soared by as much as 40 per cent due to low crop numbers and rising production costs, with dry food items' prices rising by 9.4 per cent in the last 12 months.
  • Many Australians have expressed their disappointment and shock at the rising prices of chips on social media.
  • Woolworths explained in January that poor growing conditions had resulted in not enough potatoes being produced to meet demand, causing prices to spike, and Snack Brands Australia CEO Paul Musgrave revealed that rising manufacturing costs had pushed up snack prices.
Have you experienced any unfair rises in the cost of your groceries lately? Do you still buy chips? Share your thoughts about this story and your own experiences in the comments.

Sponsored
Not for me! Outrageously priced. Potato chips are not a necessary item, nice occasionally, just refuse to buy them and the message will get through to both supermarkets and potato chip companies, they're not a healthy option anyway so why not replace them with a beautiful fresh fruit platter instead, much better for you.

I purchase coles 750g shredded cheese.
Last Monday it was $7.50 a bag and by Friday it had gone up to $10.00.
I am no longer going to be purchasing this product from coles.
I very much doubt that the cheese producer is receiving a price rise from coles for their product.
The main two supermarkets are getting too greedy. Time to shop around or buy in bulk at places like Costco.

It’s no secret that the last year has been a financially tough time for Australians, with basic expenses climbing higher than ever.

And it turns out that the rising cost of living is having a particular effect on one of our most beloved snacks – chips.

A recent photo taken at a Coles supermarket drove home the harsh reality of the inflation crisis in Australia, highlighting the nation's struggle with increasing food prices.

In the photo, Coles was selling two bags of Kettle chips at a ‘special’ price of $11 – which many shoppers have labelled as ‘a joke’.

Chip prices have soared in recent months due to low crop numbers and rising production costs.

View attachment 22056
A current Coles ‘special deal’ left shoppers confused. Credit: Srattha Nualsate/Pexels

Global investment bank UBS confirms that prices of dry food items have risen by a hefty 9.4 per cent in the last 12 months, with chips experiencing an astonishing 40 per cent price increase.

These figures come from collated data tracked from over 60,000 items at Australia’s biggest supermarkets, ALDI, Coles, and Woolworths.

The price increases left Australians ‘shocked’, with many taking to social media to express their disappointment about the cost of a snack that once sold for around $3 per 165g bag.

Melbourne woman, Letisha Malakooti, shared her disbelief in a recent video, saying, ‘Literally shocked, I asked the staff at Coles six times if this was right…’ she said in a recent video posted on her social media page.

View attachment 22057
Letisha said she thinks Coles’ promotion is ‘messed up’. Credit: Letisha Malakooti/TikTok

‘Two packets of chips for $11, I thought, “Maybe it's wrong”, but the next one is two packets of chips for $11 too. Since when? What happened to the dollar thirty-five packets?’ She continued.

‘Anyway, I spoke to him, and it’s not wrong. That is the price. I seriously think Coles has messed up.’

Letisha also asked her viewers if anyone could explain ‘what is going on here’, which prompted many social media users to share their own experiences with the current economic situation of the country.

‘Yeah, I nearly had a heart attack really when Woolies wanted over $6 for Kettle chips,’ one wrote.

While someone else agreed and said: ‘I hear you. It’s ridiculous! I’ve seen another packet for $10. It’s a joke.’

Woolworths explained earlier this year that ‘poor growing conditions’ resulted in not enough potatoes being produced to meet consumer demands. This also caused the prices to soar.

Snack Brands Australia CEO Paul Musgrave revealed that rising manufacturing costs have pushed up the prices of some of the nation's favourite snacks.

Musgrave estimates that the price rise will be ‘somewhere like 30 to 50 cents a bag of potato chips’.

‘We’re going to have to take a price rise early in the new year to cover the cost of gas and also the agricultural products that we buy – like corn and potatoes – because all those things have skyrocketed as well,’ Musgrave explained.

View attachment 22058
In a post on Reddit, the same chips brand is revealed to have a price of $7.20 when not discounted. Credit: Reddit

A Woolworths spokesperson stated that they are currently selling a 165g bag of Kettle chips for $3.60 as part of their special deals promotion.

‘Value is more important to our customers than ever, and that's why we offer around 6,000 specials every week,’ the spokesperson said, acknowledging the role of supermarkets in these challenging times.

‘Right now, a range of Kettle chips are on special for $3.60 – which we know will come in handy for long weekend entertaining,’ they added.

Unfortunately, rising prices affect more than just snacks. The impact of inflation looms over the entire cost of living, reminding us of the importance of practical financial planning, as well as finding ways to manage our budgets.
Key Takeaways

• A Coles ‘special’ deal offering two bags of Kettle chips for $11 has highlighted the toll inflation is having on households as food prices continue to soar.
  • The cost of chips has soared by as much as 40 per cent due to low crop numbers and rising production costs, with dry food items' prices rising by 9.4 per cent in the last 12 months.
  • Many Australians have expressed their disappointment and shock at the rising prices of chips on social media.
  • Woolworths explained in January that poor growing conditions had resulted in not enough potatoes being produced to meet demand, causing prices to spike, and Snack Brands Australia CEO Paul Musgrave revealed that rising manufacturing costs had pushed up snack prices.
Have you experienced any unfair rises in the cost of your groceries lately? Do you still buy chips? Share your thoughts about this story and your own experiences in the comments.

From tomorrow Coles will have the KETTLE chips at half price $3!

View attachment 22056

View attachment 22057

View attachment 22058

Key Takeaways

I’m amazed that people are giving away their rights freely:
Collectively we have the choice to buy or not to buy
Supermarkets claim they are selling items 50% off…this too is not correct
Supermarkets are now making massive savings by having customers scan & bag their own shopping
Lastly, we are all encouraged to used cards for payment instead of cash… plus on top of the price you pay an additional card surcharge. All in all we are being ripped off

I’m amazed that people are giving away their rights freely:
Collectively we have the choice to buy or not to buy
Supermarkets claim they are selling items 50% off…this too is not correct
Supermarkets are now making massive savings by having customers scan & bag their own shopping
Lastly, we are all encouraged to used cards for payment instead of cash… plus on top of the price you pay an additional card surcharge. All in all we are being ripped off
I agree. We are now upaid workers and being forced into using cards if no cash checkouts available. I wonder if this is allowed by law?

If every body stopped buying, the prices would definitely drop this crap about short supply pushing up prices is rubbish if the producers have short supply they would love to sell it all so if everybody stopped buying overpriced stuff the prices would drop so the supermarkets could sell it they wouldn't want to be stuck with product

Not for me! Outrageously priced. Potato chips are not a necessary item, nice occasionally, just refuse to buy them and the message will get through to both supermarkets and potato chip companies, they're not a healthy option anyway so why not replace them with a beautiful fresh fruit platter instead, much better for you.
Apparently you have not purchased fresh fruit recently as the prices Coles are charging is rediculous. As for Cherry Tomatoes, Coles are selling these at $18:50/kg, any one dumb enough to pay these prices need to have their heads examined.

View attachment 22056

View attachment 22057

View attachment 22058

Key Takeaways

I make my own..it's easy. on sat morning I peel 4 large spuds and get a bottle of oil and in half an hour I have the equivalent of6 bags of chips that keep for weeks, and I make some chilli or curry or vinegar&salt its easy , cost? about 60c the lot. the spices I've already got ..but if not add app 40c...(getting back to old times ). talk to grandma you'll save a fortune....

View attachment 22056

View attachment 22057

View attachment 22058

Key Takeaways

It really is ridiculous. Due to the exorbitant prices of chips I've started buying corn kernels and making my own popcorn. Chips are simply to difficult to make.

I am getting very tired of people blaming the supermarkets all the time for increasing costs. If you bother to look at your household budget, take note of increases in power, petrol, insurance, rent, mortgage, medical, child care, education and vet bills before you even get to food. Now transfer those bills to the food producers, they have also got power, fuel, rent, mortgage, insurances, and in some cases vet bills to pay along with wages, super, workers' comp insurance before you even get to the raw ingredients. Those raw ingredients include crops destroyed by floods that haven't come back yet e.g. potatoes or wheat which is still affected by exports from Ukraine one of the largest producers of wheat worldwide.

Every time people demand "The Government should DO something" it results in increased costs somewhere, get a pay rise? It increases costs to the business. The business has to increase costs to pay for the increases. Does your insurance cost more? So does business insurance and you will pay for that too. Power prices up? So are power prices up in food production and agriculture. Petrol costs go up? You will pay for that in your own fuel bill AND also in increased costs of the food delivery chain and everything else you buy. Absolutely everything in a supermarket (and every other shop for that matter) gets there by road in trucks, so when fuel costs and toll costs rise so do the delivery costs not only for the delivery companies but also all their customers i.e. supermarkets and their customers will pay i.e. YOU.

The end user, that is the customer, me and you, eventually pay. So if we want higher wages, renewable energy, qualified and experienced child care and aged care workers, Government financial support for those who genuinely cannot help themselves and so on, then get used to paying more for everything.
Yes, people are doing it tough at the moment and it means a good hard look at personal spending. A few lessons from the older generations on how to manage things wouldn't go amiss; a chat to grandparents would unearth good wholesome and CHEAP recipes to feed a family on next to nothing for example.

As for the price of chips? Who cares. They are not an essential food source so are discretionary expenditure. Buy them if you choose, but stop whinging about the cost. Learn to make your own or not. Your choice.