Australia’s BIGGEST Kmart store: a sneak peek at what shoppers are hailing a ‘hidden gem’

Kmart has long been our go-to place for cheap furniture, appliances, clothes, and more! That’s why as soon as word about its latest (and biggest) store spread, shoppers were immediately left in a frenzy.

After being converted from a run-down Target store in July 2021, Victoria’s new flagship store was unveiled on Bourke Street. However, as it was launched in the middle of the pandemic, the giant budget store’s existence was hidden in plain sight.

But as Australians gradually transition back to their normal, COVID-19-free lives, more shoppers are taking notice of the ‘insane’ multilevel Kmart store that was dubbed a ‘hidden gem’.

Kmart CEO John Gualtieri said that the new superstore has many ‘firsts’, including a display for online exclusive items which allows shoppers to see the item before ordering it from the website.

CSWsp_TNNY-KsTDOuFwWR_bcFaaw0_KX_iltrFuXsrXNLC7FHpDYtWDZfiAbkeiPNCdrcOspZDsaJvgrAqmdmKfymTsH4MK7s-tGoKCEcI6jBWc1vBm6fsglZmc9nkDZT4jg2FfhoT6_EaV5H4eub7z7Da8ra3G9gcWd5G81zga_7m3lN_Zx7BPI1g
KxelmbcaXuUVElzkD_modGtodIGMwI7b_1OdZRpv4lKr1oQcdPGLcRt-cd8Ck_5-BeELhsSoHY_f-X7VoS9f5xtf3SwC9Y4KyicbSZvoBfzy-zHxeiDActoUMYPef77Mgf_90MCuZ8BzYAj-HphWK4K4J4GZBLxtCFzoaoYVrDNJC9K-JOEDDUsQWQ

The BIGGEST Kmart store in Australia boasts three levels. Source: Reddit

‘Kmart Melbourne CBD marked a brand new concept for us, as our very first three-level store.’ Mr Gualtieri said.

‘The store has over 5000 square metres for customers to explore, with more space to shop the everyday products they love and over 170 dedicated Kmart team members as well.’

He went on to explain that Australia’s biggest Kmart shop is ‘an elevated experience’ that includes digital interactivity for a ‘better customer experience’.

The store is so impressive that it won ‘Store Design of the Year 2022 Australia’ at the Retail Asia awards.

oIIqThx2uIAo4vlhYfxZtrmX5nCSwMSnpEOEaHXK2ONk681mVSiNz58PD7a9toavqNHNtYfMxC5D-9PcDot8EJJdiWwIneYlrviA91iWsAKGYzSYkU-wd2ceoEi3l7mo_9ON6Bm0XV0osrl3PnNI_AE4Hph-2CSycK9Vq1Y1hqVIjzGqh5-pIEJy9Q

The store includes an area to display online exclusive items. Source: news.com.au

The launch followed after data from a survey conducted by the retailer showed that nine out of 10 Aussie shoppers visited a Kmart store at least once last year.

‘Amazingly 83 per cent of Australians live within 10 kilometres of a Kmart store.’ Mr Gualtieri detailed.

The ground floor is home to apparel, accessories, and beauty products, while the first floor offers furniture as well as kids’ toys and apparel. The basement is dedicated to active equipment, technology, and customer services.

Hundreds of shoppers have been excitedly raving about the giant store’s features on TikTok, with one describing it as ‘insane’.

Source: @islahpalmer

‘I could spend hours here!’ one user commented.

‘This place has everything.’ another chimed.

‘Excuse me? THREE storeys?!’ a user wrote.

‘I’m hoping that they bring one to Sydney!’ a fourth wished, while another shared: ‘OMG, imagine if they did this for the three-storey Target in Perth city?’

What are your thoughts about Kmart’s newest store? Should other Kmart stores follow in its footsteps? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
Yes please in brisbane but not in the city
I can only dream of this kind of KMart our regional store is just hopeless, hardly anything advertised on line is available and since so much floor space was taken up when someone had the bright idea(?) of putting the checkouts in the middle of the store, nearly all the space usually taken up with Homewares and/or clothing was hugely reduced, sad really it is just not the same now. I can no longer say I will just pop into KMart to pick up one of those and we do not have a Big W here to substitute for the loss.

Reactions: Jennie
Does anyone know where it is in Bourke Street? I can't remember where the old Target store was. Maybe between Swanston and Russell Streets?

Kmart has long been our go-to place for cheap furniture, appliances, clothes, and more! That’s why as soon as word about its latest (and biggest) store spread, shoppers were immediately left in a frenzy.

After being converted from a run-down Target store in July 2021, Victoria’s new flagship store was unveiled on Bourke Street. However, as it was launched in the middle of the pandemic, the giant budget store’s existence was hidden in plain sight.

But as Australians gradually transition back to their normal, COVID-19-free lives, more shoppers are taking notice of the ‘insane’ multilevel Kmart store that was dubbed a ‘hidden gem’.

Kmart CEO John Gualtieri said that the new superstore has many ‘firsts’, including a display for online exclusive items which allows shoppers to see the item before ordering it from the website.

CSWsp_TNNY-KsTDOuFwWR_bcFaaw0_KX_iltrFuXsrXNLC7FHpDYtWDZfiAbkeiPNCdrcOspZDsaJvgrAqmdmKfymTsH4MK7s-tGoKCEcI6jBWc1vBm6fsglZmc9nkDZT4jg2FfhoT6_EaV5H4eub7z7Da8ra3G9gcWd5G81zga_7m3lN_Zx7BPI1g
KxelmbcaXuUVElzkD_modGtodIGMwI7b_1OdZRpv4lKr1oQcdPGLcRt-cd8Ck_5-BeELhsSoHY_f-X7VoS9f5xtf3SwC9Y4KyicbSZvoBfzy-zHxeiDActoUMYPef77Mgf_90MCuZ8BzYAj-HphWK4K4J4GZBLxtCFzoaoYVrDNJC9K-JOEDDUsQWQ

The BIGGEST Kmart store in Australia boasts three levels. Source: Reddit

‘Kmart Melbourne CBD marked a brand new concept for us, as our very first three-level store.’ Mr Gualtieri said.

‘The store has over 5000 square metres for customers to explore, with more space to shop the everyday products they love and over 170 dedicated Kmart team members as well.’

He went on to explain that Australia’s biggest Kmart shop is ‘an elevated experience’ that includes digital interactivity for a ‘better customer experience’.

The store is so impressive that it won ‘Store Design of the Year 2022 Australia’ at the Retail Asia awards.

oIIqThx2uIAo4vlhYfxZtrmX5nCSwMSnpEOEaHXK2ONk681mVSiNz58PD7a9toavqNHNtYfMxC5D-9PcDot8EJJdiWwIneYlrviA91iWsAKGYzSYkU-wd2ceoEi3l7mo_9ON6Bm0XV0osrl3PnNI_AE4Hph-2CSycK9Vq1Y1hqVIjzGqh5-pIEJy9Q

The store includes an area to display online exclusive items. Source: news.com.au

The launch followed after data from a survey conducted by the retailer showed that nine out of 10 Aussie shoppers visited a Kmart store at least once last year.

‘Amazingly 83 per cent of Australians live within 10 kilometres of a Kmart store.’ Mr Gualtieri detailed.

The ground floor is home to apparel, accessories, and beauty products, while the first floor offers furniture as well as kids’ toys and apparel. The basement is dedicated to active equipment, technology, and customer services.

Hundreds of shoppers have been excitedly raving about the giant store’s features on TikTok, with one describing it as ‘insane’.

Source: @islahpalmer

‘I could spend hours here!’ one user commented.

‘This place has everything.’ another chimed.

‘Excuse me? THREE storeys?!’ a user wrote.

‘I’m hoping that they bring one to Sydney!’ a fourth wished, while another shared: ‘OMG, imagine if they did this for the three-storey Target in Perth city?’

What are your thoughts about Kmart’s newest store? Should other Kmart stores follow in its footsteps? Let us know in the comments below!

Love the sound of it. Hope it comes to Sydney soon.

Does anyone know where it is in Bourke Street? I can't remember where the old Target store was. Maybe between Swanston and Russell Streets?
Hi ElleJay,

It's located in Bourke St, just up from Swanston St intersection, near the tram stop!!

It's a well-lit store, with great bargains, and self-serve registers at the front near the entrance.

I like to order online, then pop in and pick up from this store

Reactions: ElleJay
Hi ElleJay,

It's located in Bourke St, just up from Swanston St intersection, near the tram stop!!

It's a well-lit store, with great bargains, and self-serve registers at the front near the entrance.

I like to order online, then pop in and pick up from this store
Thank you! :)