Aussies uncover profitable path with mystery shopping amid cost-of-living crunch!

In the face of rising costs and the pinch of the cost-of-living crisis, Australians are getting creative with how they supplement their income.

One such avenue that's gaining traction is the world of mystery shopping, where everyday Aussies are turning their routine errands into profitable ventures.

It's a side hustle that's not only accessible but also quite lucrative, with some individuals earning up to $300 for tasks as simple as shopping at ALDI or enjoying a meal at the local pub.

Louise Heffernan, the owner of the mystery shopper business Mystery Management, has shared insights on how Australians can earn extra cash.

Mystery shopping involves anonymously evaluating a range of stores and services, from retail outlets like ALDI and Subway to dining experiences at restaurants and pubs.

There's even ‘mystery riding’, where individuals can get paid to report on their experiences using public transport, including buses and ferries.

compressed-shutterstock_2161931959.jpeg
Mystery shopping earns Australians extra cash by anonymously evaluating stores, public transport, or dining experiences. Credit: Shutterstock

The beauty of mystery shopping is its inclusivity. ‘There’s a whole heap of different things, and anyone can do it. It’s a good way to make extra money,’ Ms Heffernan explained.

Mystery Management boasts a diverse roster of over 2,000 mystery shoppers across the country.

While a few individuals pursue it as a primary occupation, it remains a side hustle for most.

‘So we’ve got school teachers, police officers, uni students, stay-at-home mums, retirees, you name it, they work for us,’ Ms Heffernan shared.

‘Anybody can be a mystery shopper. Our oldest mystery shopper was 81 and she just recently retired last month.’

The tasks assigned to mystery shoppers can be as brief as a 5 to 10-minute shopping trip to ALDI, followed by a report of the same duration.

Public transport tasks will vary based on the journey, while dining assignments span the length of the meal.

Mystery shoppers are tasked with specific assignments at designated stores or establishments.

They subsequently provide feedback on their experiences, covering aspects such as customer service and the store's cleanliness.

Each job is unique and tailored to the needs of the company seeking feedback. For instance, ALDI mystery shoppers might be asked to purchase an alcoholic item and interact with a team member.

‘If you are going to Subway, you need to buy a sandwich and see if they upsell to a cookie or a bottle of water,’ Ms Heffernan explained.

‘If you’re going to a pub and ordering a pub meal, are they upselling garlic bread or sides? When you go to the bar and order a glass of wine, are they offering you a premium glass?’

The compensation for these tasks depends on the specific job completed.

‘You can earn as little as $20 to as much as $300. It does vary,’ Ms Heffernan mentioned, highlighting that tasks involving public transport tend to offer higher pay.

If a shopper needs to buy something, they will be refunded for the purchase and can keep the item. For dining tasks, they get to enjoy their meal without charge.

‘You’re paid by the task. Anybody that works for us as a contractor can supply their ABN (Australian Business Number) or a statement of supplier and you can do this as a hobby,’ she explained.

Various mystery shopping agencies are available for online applications. Once approved, most companies provide a ‘Jobs Board’ where you can apply for assignments that match your qualifications and preferences.

Looking to boost your income with a flexible side hustle? Discovering opportunities like mystery shopping or enjoying paid visits to pubs is increasingly popular among Aussies seeking extra cash.

Meanwhile, one Aussie mum shared her ingenious side hustle, revealing how she consistently brings in hundreds of dollars weekly.

These stories highlight the diverse and creative ways Australians supplement their incomes, catering to a wide range of interests and schedules.
Key Takeaways
  • Mystery shopping is a side hustle that can earn Australians extra cash by anonymously evaluating stores, public transport, or dining experiences.
  • Louise Heffernan of Mystery Management revealed that a range of tasks are available, from simple shopping at ALDI to dining in pubs, with potential earnings from $20 to $300 per task.
  • Over 2,000 Australians are involved with Mystery Management, undertaking mystery shopper roles alongside their primary jobs, with individuals from various professions participating.
  • Jobs are assigned to mystery shoppers, who are then expected to report back on specific aspects like customer service and store cleanliness, and they can be reimbursed for purchases or enjoy complimentary meals during dining tasks.
Have you ever considered becoming a mystery shopper? Or perhaps you're already one of the savvy individuals making the most of this opportunity? Share your stories and tips in the comments below.

Sponsored
My old boss used to hire mystery shoppers every 3 months to test our customer service in the bridal store. There were 10 things they needed to hear or see from us ,some of those were.

1. Were they served on time

2. Did we ask all our questions eg when is wedding, how did they hear about us ect ect . The questions were crazy

3. Did we offer accessories eg jewelry and veil.

4. Did we let them know about our seamstress for fittings.

5. Did we give them a card in the end.

6. Was the shop tidy and mannequins dresses

If we got less than 96% we were pulled into the office and told off

If we got 100% we we pulled into the office and told well done

In between 96% and 100% nothing.

We always did our work to 100% of our ability. I always treated my brides and family with respect and exactly how I would expect to be treated and served

I found the mystery shoppers to be very daunting and caused unnecessary anxiety.
We never knew when they came in , only the month they were due.

It's all based on there opion and sometimes they knew nothing about bridal

It seems to be quite difficult to become a mystery shopper, you are competing with hundreds of others for every job, it seems only people who have time to sit on their computer or device all day can get the mystery shyopper jobs.

Reactions: Gsr
I tried to sign up a lady I supported a few years back. It would have been perfect for her. But I think it was a scam, it saying this is but just be careful. it wanted sensitive information plus because I was organising it for her I gave my mobile number and for a couple of years later I kept getting text messages telling me that Kristin had a parcel to pick up from the post office and of course it was going to cost her.

Reactions: Gsr and Ezzy
My old boss used to hire mystery shoppers every 3 months to test our customer service in the bridal store. There were 10 things they needed to hear or see from us ,some of those were.

1. Were they served on time

2. Did we ask all our questions eg when is wedding, how did they hear about us ect ect . The questions were crazy

3. Did we offer accessories eg jewelry and veil.

4. Did we let them know about our seamstress for fittings.

5. Did we give them a card in the end.

6. Was the shop tidy and mannequins dresses

If we got less than 96% we were pulled into the office and told off

If we got 100% we we pulled into the office and told well done

In between 96% and 100% nothing.

We always did our work to 100% of our ability. I always treated my brides and family with respect and exactly how I would expect to be treated and served

I found the mystery shoppers to be very daunting and caused unnecessary anxiety.
We never knew when they came in , only the month they were due.

It's all based on there opion and sometimes they knew nothing about bridal
Bet they never asked, have you had a tea break today, have you had a lunch break or toilet break. Have the clients be rude to you today. How does management treat you.
They never asked in aged care either. ;)

I did look into it, but by the time l took travel costs into where they wanted me to go to it wasn’t worth it

Reactions: Gsr
I was a Mystery Shopper for many years, until I got tired of it.
It's very rare that we get paid $300. It can be phone calls as well. You need a PC or a laptop for the job.

I was a Mystery Shopper for many years, until I got tired of it.
It's very rare that we get paid $300. It can be phone calls as well. You need a PC or a laptop for the job.
I am 63 but when I was in my 20s and a stay at home mum,being a mystery shopper was quite knew jn the early 80s,I would be sent to videophone to see if I was treated well and informed,I was sent an hour from home(had to go with hubby)to pretend we wanted a personal loan from a bank,had to sit through the whole thing,I had worked in a bank when I left school,till I had my children,so it was right up my alley,I knew more about what was going on than the guy interviewing us,but he tried so hard I gave him a really good review,that was the only time I got a decent amount of money($60)back then,but I would never would have been able to do it alone without my husband.The ONE that stood out the most for me was a MacDonalds drive through,I got a fever on the night I was supposed to go so I filled in the form anyway as we all knew the Macca's menus and quality back then,WELL I could only come up with the negative of CHIPS TOO SALTY🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
WELL, apparently the franchise owner took it badly and wrote a report saying that they NEVER EVER overstated THEIR CHIPS!!!!!!!!
It got back to me and I said "well they we o resulted to me!!WHAT WAS THE CHANCE HEY????Stopped doing it around that time,too much effort for little money and no phones or computers the norm back then either.Papers galore to fill in.
Wonder if the chips are still UNDER SALTED at this particular franchise.The same guy still owns it🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Reactions: Penny4
I am 63 but when I was in my 20s and a stay at home mum,being a mystery shopper was quite knew jn the early 80s,I would be sent to videophone to see if I was treated well and informed,I was sent an hour from home(had to go with hubby)to pretend we wanted a personal loan from a bank,had to sit through the whole thing,I had worked in a bank when I left school,till I had my children,so it was right up my alley,I knew more about what was going on than the guy interviewing us,but he tried so hard I gave him a really good review,that was the only time I got a decent amount of money($60)back then,but I would never would have been able to do it alone without my husband.The ONE that stood out the most for me was a MacDonalds drive through,I got a fever on the night I was supposed to go so I filled in the form anyway as we all knew the Macca's menus and quality back then,WELL I could only come up with the negative of CHIPS TOO SALTY🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
WELL, apparently the franchise owner took it badly and wrote a report saying that they NEVER EVER overstated THEIR CHIPS!!!!!!!!
It got back to me and I said "well they we o resulted to me!!WHAT WAS THE CHANCE HEY????Stopped doing it around that time,too much effort for little money and no phones or computers the norm back then either.Papers galore to fill in.
Wonder if the chips are still UNDER SALTED at this particular franchise.The same guy still owns it🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
I've been doing it for many years, but stopped when I was looking after my mum before she passed away.
The requisite phone calls can be rather glum for me. This is because I'm experienced, and the salesperson on the phone honestly thinks they have a sale.