Aussies share what they've had to stop buying: 'Price is ridiculous'

It’s no secret how much of a toll the rise in the cost of living has taken on Australians in the last few years.

With prices on a seemingly unstoppable upward spiral, it’s getting tougher and tougher to make ends meet, and people across the country are getting creative with their budgeting.

From grapes to cheese, meat, and even perfume–shoppers are leaving various items off their grocery lists to cut expenses, considering the continued financial strain on their wallets.

Recently, an interesting discussion sparked on social media, where people revealed the items they could no longer afford to buy at the supermarket.

‘What are you not buying anymore because the price is too high?’ asked one woman drawing in hundreds of responses.

Many were keen to share their money-saving advice to assist others in getting better value, such as making their yogurt, diluting milk, and using only half the usual amount of toothpaste.

fruit-3552139_1280.jpg
Australians are adjusting their grocery lists due to the high cost of living, with many finding fruits such as grapes and watermelon too expensive to buy. Image source: Pixabay

One of the most common replies came from those who said they no longer buy grapes or watermelon.

‘Grapes. $23 a kilo here. We love our grapes,’ one woman wrote, and another said: ‘Watermelon–price is ridiculous per kilo.’

Some noted that these two fruits have become more expensive due to being out of season. However, one mum was shocked by the sale price of an entire watermelon at a whopping $39.

Furthermore, others mentioned they were reducing their consumption of dairy products, including milk, cheese, and yoghurt.

‘Cottage cheese has become a vogue diet food and the price is up, same with yoghurt. I buy much less and I love both of these!’ one woman shared.

‘I only buy sausages occasionally when reduced. Goodness, so many things are sometimes foods here now.’

‘Normal cow's milk. Not worth it when the stuff gives me a belly ache. Just might as well buy lactose-free or almond milk for a little bit extra. Or even cheese, that's way too expensive,’ added a second.

However, some budget-conscious shoppers suggested buying cheese blocks and shredding them at home.

‘Bottled water. Was $6.30 a slab last week and is $9.50 this week,’ another pointed out.

‘Roast lamb, cans of dog food, dog biscuits, alcohol etc. Even going out for dinner and a few drinks is a rare luxury nowadays. And with Christmas coming up, try to get things when on special,’ a second chimed in.

‘Lamb shanks. Used to be a cheap family meal with leftovers, now I can't find a single shank for less than what the whole meal used to cost!’ a third said.

Some mentioned they’ve quit indulging in treats like ice cream, chips, and chocolate.

‘I’ve stopped buying snacks. Smith's chips and balsamic vinegar ones. Just no way anymore. NO takeaway. No fresh milk, I can get long life for $1.50 a litre,’ shared a mum.

‘Halloumi cheese, steaks, treats, ice creams. If half price I still have to think about it and often walk away. Haven't purchased beer and soft drinks from any store in many years,’ wrote someone else.

Shoppers are also giving up on items like salmon, perfume, frozen chips, paper towels, fresh flowers, books, steak, premade meals, and eggs.

‘Any takeaway of any kind, including coffee, drinks, even water. Want a coffee then wait until you get home and make it using instant coffee and treat full cream milk,’ one person answered.

‘McDonald's. Only go there for a Happy Meal for my son occasionally, and that's it as the meals have gone up too much,’ one mum expressed.

french-fries-1851143_1280.jpg
Some shoppers have stopped buying meals from Maccas to save money.
Image source: Pixabay

‘Dog grooming, have learnt to do it myself, not perfect but good enough to pass...Have saved a fortune over the last 18 months of doing it,’ added another.

‘I gave up colouring my hair. Now am I totally grey, said to everyone if you don’t like it, suck it up, sunshine!’ a third joked.

While others offered cost-saving tips. One woman, for instance, described how she’s using less toothpaste.

‘A dentist I saw years ago said toothpaste only needs to cover the width of a toothbrush, not the length,’ she explained.

One person also found a way to use less laundry liquid after a significant price increase.

‘Can't use powder, but I'm finding that using half the recommended amount of liquid is still leaving clothes coming out clean. So still buying it but reducing the amount/frequency of the purchase,’ one shopper advised.

‘Also works for dishwashing powder!’ someone added.

‘Stopped buying veggies and fruit from Woolies and now getting it from the local farmers market so much cheaper and lasts twice as long,’ a third responded

One budgeter started making their yoghurt, which is much cheaper than buying it at the supermarket.

‘I heat milk, cool, add starter, mix, wrap it up, and 12 hours later, I have delicious yoghurt,’ they explained.

Meanwhile, someone said they saved hundreds by shopping for essentials at discount stores.

‘I shop at Costco, the Reject Shop, ALDI, Best & Less, op shops and wholesalers for fresh food. I even started collecting all 5 and 10-cent bottles and cans and coupons,’ she commented.

‘I've halved the price of milk by watering down full fat to make semi-skimmed. I hardly buy any meat, cut out yoghurts, cakes gave up making them,’ another said.

‘Shop by price per kilo. Compare brands and specials this way, specials aren't necessarily special,’ a third suggested.

Key Takeaways

• Aussies have revealed the foods they’ve stopped buying due to rising costs, including grapes, watermelon, dairy products, and snacks.
  • Many Aussies are also changing their shopping habits to save money, such as making homemade yoghurt, watering down milk, and using less toothpaste.
  • Other strategies included buying in bulk, comparing prices per kilo across different brands, and sourcing fresh food from local farmers’ markets or discount retailers instead of supermarkets.
  • Non-food items such as beauty treatments, pet grooming, and dining out are also being cut back due to their increasing costs.
Members, what items have you stopped buying due to their high prices? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
ANY PRODUCT THAT TELLS YOU HOW MUCH TO USE IS A SALES MARKETING TRICK TO MAKE YOU BUY MORE OFTEN... JUST REDUCE THE AMOUNT YOU USE UNTIL IT STOPS WORKING, THEN GO BACK A STEP. A GOOD EXAMPLE IS THE TOOTHPASTE, FULL LENGTH IS ENOUGH FOR FIVE PEOPLE, ACCROSS IS ENOUGH FOR ONE PERSON...STOP LISTENING TO THE BULLSHIT ADDS ON TELEVISION.

Reactions: Defiant540 and DLHM
I have taken to ordering online for delivery or pickup,if I am going to be in town. I’d love to know who really is making the money as it isn’t farmers. They’re leaving and soon we will be eating imported fruit and vegetables.
We are retired dairy farmers so now buy milk we once had freely available. I don’t know The current farm gate price but our last was .38c per litre ( kicker we paid tax ..on white milk then tax as income and tax on our sons earnings so upto 4 taxes on one invoice)
Anyway tge point .38c. Store $5.35 for 3 litre
You complain but spend $3.50 per 500/750ml of water…….what’s the tap for?

It’s no secret how much of a toll the rise in the cost of living has taken on Australians in the last few years.

With prices on a seemingly unstoppable upward spiral, it’s getting tougher and tougher to make ends meet, and people across the country are getting creative with their budgeting.

From grapes to cheese, meat, and even perfume–shoppers are leaving various items off their grocery lists to cut expenses, considering the continued financial strain on their wallets.

Recently, an interesting discussion sparked on social media, where people revealed the items they could no longer afford to buy at the supermarket.

‘What are you not buying anymore because the price is too high?’ asked one woman drawing in hundreds of responses.

Many were keen to share their money-saving advice to assist others in getting better value, such as making their yogurt, diluting milk, and using only half the usual amount of toothpaste.

View attachment 34069
Australians are adjusting their grocery lists due to the high cost of living, with many finding fruits such as grapes and watermelon too expensive to buy. Image source: Pixabay

One of the most common replies came from those who said they no longer buy grapes or watermelon.

‘Grapes. $23 a kilo here. We love our grapes,’ one woman wrote, and another said: ‘Watermelon–price is ridiculous per kilo.’

Some noted that these two fruits have become more expensive due to being out of season. However, one mum was shocked by the sale price of an entire watermelon at a whopping $39.

Furthermore, others mentioned they were reducing their consumption of dairy products, including milk, cheese, and yoghurt.

‘Cottage cheese has become a vogue diet food and the price is up, same with yoghurt. I buy much less and I love both of these!’ one woman shared.

‘I only buy sausages occasionally when reduced. Goodness, so many things are sometimes foods here now.’

‘Normal cow's milk. Not worth it when the stuff gives me a belly ache. Just might as well buy lactose-free or almond milk for a little bit extra. Or even cheese, that's way too expensive,’ added a second.

However, some budget-conscious shoppers suggested buying cheese blocks and shredding them at home.

‘Bottled water. Was $6.30 a slab last week and is $9.50 this week,’ another pointed out.

‘Roast lamb, cans of dog food, dog biscuits, alcohol etc. Even going out for dinner and a few drinks is a rare luxury nowadays. And with Christmas coming up, try to get things when on special,’ a second chimed in.

‘Lamb shanks. Used to be a cheap family meal with leftovers, now I can't find a single shank for less than what the whole meal used to cost!’ a third said.

Some mentioned they’ve quit indulging in treats like ice cream, chips, and chocolate.

‘I’ve stopped buying snacks. Smith's chips and balsamic vinegar ones. Just no way anymore. NO takeaway. No fresh milk, I can get long life for $1.50 a litre,’ shared a mum.

‘Halloumi cheese, steaks, treats, ice creams. If half price I still have to think about it and often walk away. Haven't purchased beer and soft drinks from any store in many years,’ wrote someone else.

Shoppers are also giving up on items like salmon, perfume, frozen chips, paper towels, fresh flowers, books, steak, premade meals, and eggs.

‘Any takeaway of any kind, including coffee, drinks, even water. Want a coffee then wait until you get home and make it using instant coffee and treat full cream milk,’ one person answered.

‘McDonald's. Only go there for a Happy Meal for my son occasionally, and that's it as the meals have gone up too much,’ one mum expressed.

View attachment 34068

‘Dog grooming, have learnt to do it myself, not perfect but good enough to pass...Have saved a fortune over the last 18 months of doing it,’ added another.

‘I gave up colouring my hair. Now am I totally grey, said to everyone if you don’t like it, suck it up, sunshine!’ a third joked.

While others offered cost-saving tips. One woman, for instance, described how she’s using less toothpaste.

‘A dentist I saw years ago said toothpaste only needs to cover the width of a toothbrush, not the length,’ she explained.

One person also found a way to use less laundry liquid after a significant price increase.

‘Can't use powder, but I'm finding that using half the recommended amount of liquid is still leaving clothes coming out clean. So still buying it but reducing the amount/frequency of the purchase,’ one shopper advised.

‘Stopped buying veggies and fruit from Woolies and now getting it from the local farmers market so much cheaper and lasts twice as long,’ a third responded

One budgeter started making their yoghurt, which is much cheaper than buying it at the supermarket.

‘I heat milk, cool, add starter, mix, wrap it up, and 12 hours later, I have delicious yoghurt,’ they explained.

Meanwhile, someone said they saved hundreds by shopping for essentials at discount stores.

‘I shop at Costco, the Reject Shop, ALDI, Best & Less, op shops and wholesalers for fresh food. I even started collecting all 5 and 10-cent bottles and cans and coupons,’ she commented.

‘I've halved the price of milk by watering down full fat to make semi-skimmed. I hardly buy any meat, cut out yoghurts, cakes gave up making them,’ another said.

‘Shop by price per kilo. Compare brands and specials this way, specials aren't necessarily special,’ a third suggested.

Key Takeaways

• Aussies have revealed the foods they’ve stopped buying due to rising costs, including grapes, watermelon, dairy products, and snacks.
  • Many Aussies are also changing their shopping habits to save money, such as making homemade yoghurt, watering down milk, and using less toothpaste.
  • Other strategies included buying in bulk, comparing prices per kilo across different brands, and sourcing fresh food from local farmers’ markets or discount retailers instead of supermarkets.
  • Non-food items such as beauty treatments, pet grooming, and dining out are also being cut back due to their increasing costs.
Members, what items have you stopped buying due to their high prices? Share your thoughts in the comments below!
i purchase what i need and what i like.

View attachment 34069

View attachment 34068

Key Takeaways

your right about the toothpaste , ask your dentist. try using one fifth the amount you see in the adds...works perfect, that alone will give you 4 times you don't have to buy a tube, .......try looking at other products in the same way... the adds are exaggerated by the manufacturers to make us use more, think about it, washing up liquid, toilet bowl cleaner, etc they always use excessive amounts in the ad so we'll use more...try it

As a single lady on aged pension I found that I could halve the amount of soap powder in my washing machine years ago. The clothes are just as clean & I can use the rinse water for the garden as it's not full of soap.

As a single lady on aged pension I found that I could halve the amount of soap powder in my washing machine years ago. The clothes are just as clean & I can use the rinse water for the garden as it's not full of soap.
Years ago when having my washing machine repaired, I was advised by the repairman to use no more than half the amount of detergent stated on the label. And never use fabric softener (for a number of reasons).

Reactions: Leenie and Gsr

View attachment 34069

View attachment 34068

Key Takeaways

Gone back to the old Thermos flask,make sandwiches, bake little cakes and take it with you.
Much nicer on the side of the country road; than sitting in a noisy crowded, expensive joint. Its only doing what we did 50 or more years ago.

Reactions: Gsr and Leenie
My

My fabric softener is white vinegar - much cheaper and just if not more effective.
I have used white vinegar as a fabric softener for many years and find it keeps the machine clean as well, plus less chemicals being used.

Reactions: DLHM and Gsr
I don’t buy grapes at the moment, hubby loves them, but the price is ridiculous. I use less washing detergent, wash up detergent, toothpaste and many other things than what the label says. I only wash up once a day, only do washing when I have a full load. We collect water in the shower before the temperature is right for the garden. We hook a hose up to the washing machine and pump the water onto our lawn. I cook in the air fryer instead of the oven whenever I can. We don’t have our tv on unless we are watching it. There are lots of ways to save a little bit here and there.

Reactions: DLHM and Leenie
ANY PRODUCT THAT TELLS YOU HOW MUCH TO USE IS A SALES MARKETING TRICK TO MAKE YOU BUY MORE OFTEN... JUST REDUCE THE AMOUNT YOU USE UNTIL IT STOPS WORKING, THEN GO BACK A STEP. A GOOD EXAMPLE IS THE TOOTHPASTE, FULL LENGTH IS ENOUGH FOR FIVE PEOPLE, ACCROSS IS ENOUGH FOR ONE PERSON...STOP LISTENING TO THE BULLSHIT ADDS ON TELEVISION.
no need to shout you know

View attachment 34069

View attachment 34068

Key Takeaways

Members, what items have you stopped buying due to their high prices? Share your thoughts in the cotemments below!rchaced
I can't afford my weekly fix of dark chocolate any more--Salmon at $42 p/kg. what a rip off. -haven't had a steak for around 6 months (but yesterday i purchased a pack of 2 thick lamb steaks for $4 at woolies. fresh veges are gone also. (i buy frozen mixed veg's & dont eat much per serve etcetcetc...